Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cruising at 3000 RPM+- for hours..bad??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

obviously things happen more quickly when you're driving fast, but i think the real danger is the difference in your speed compared to the other traffic. so if traffic is runnin 90-100, its not all that dangerous to run 110-115. in my eyes its the speed difference, whether it's 30 in a parking lot, 50 in a 25 zone, or 100 in a 75. and really, the freeway is one of the 'safer' places to speed(if the traffic is light). but of course, follow all posted speeds yada yada...for your safety, not enjoyment. lol
Old 01-23-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jermzz
Never have I EVER seen a deer on a major freeway or turnpike. Alive or dead.
Come to NY, you will see lots of them. In NY deer are every where esp. upstate.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my camaro from Dallas to Lubbock (350 mi), it's pretty much me on the road by myself when I drive, therefor I speed... considerably... BUT I NEVER pass people doing more than 5-10 mph more than them. Single lane or multiple lane. There will be 30-50 mile stretches where I don't see a single person... and after all, i am in a 500hp camaro... With the six speed, i see 23-24 MPG.

BUTTT I would never speed through traffic. That is asking for it. I ride sportbikes therefor I am usually with crowds that like to do that sort of thing and all I can say is those types of people arent' on their bike, or car for that matter, for long.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Gotta love them West Texas roads!! Just like the pictures.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
You have no control over the idiot that wasn't paying attention and switched lanes in front of you. Or grandma, who sees cars coming and KNOWS she has plenty of time to merge/switch lanes/cross traffic. **** happens...really, really fast at speed. Take your own life in your hands if you want to, but leave the rest of us the hell out of your games, thank you very much.
Yeah, but you can. What I am saying is if the visibility is fine then you can see a long way in front of you. So if you see cars coming up you can slow down temporarily. I agree it would be stupid to do coming over a hill or through fog or darkness.

And 115 really isn't so fast that you can't react. It would be another thing if he would cruise at 180 or so. Sure going 115 in mild traffic in America, where any idiot can get a license, is dangerous. But an empty road and a straight line. If you wreck because you can't drive in a straight line going only 115 mph then a nice shiny Darwin award for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adillhoff
Yeah, but you can. What I am saying is if the visibility is fine then you can see a long way in front of you. So if you see cars coming up you can slow down temporarily. I agree it would be stupid to do coming over a hill or through fog or darkness.

And 115 really isn't so fast that you can't react. It would be another thing if he would cruise at 180 or so. Sure going 115 in mild traffic in America, where any idiot can get a license, is dangerous. But an empty road and a straight line. If you wreck because you can't drive in a straight line going only 115 mph then a nice shiny Darwin award for you.
Nicely Put, and nice bike BTW.

It all boils down to his judgement call, on when and how fast he's going to speed.

I have a 502 big block in my speed boat that see's 3600-4000 for very long periods of time. The motor has over 400 hrs on it, It only see's under that rpm if im idling. In other words, I HIGHLY doubt you have anythin to worry about.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks man you too. Last time I was out at Possum Kingdom lake we were cruising in my friend's '87 Supra (the boat). We were at about 4000 rpm when we heard a loud pop and the motor started taking on water. We had some guy tow us to the dock and I had to swim and pull the boat inside. The worst part is that it was storming.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

You engine will be fine 4 bangers run rpm's like that constantly on the highway and we've all seen them with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. Like said above just check your fluids and also make sure to check your tire pressure you don’t want to be running 10-15 lbs low at 115mph because the heat will build up and give you a blow out in no time (and no one wants a tire to go on them at those speeds).
Old 01-23-2008, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I didn't expect to see so many goody-two-shoes whining about 100mph on this board. Speed is relative: road conditions, weather, day/night, traffic, type of car, etc. etc.

You are safer with me at 110 on the interstate (only in light traffic) than you are with half of the near deads here in Fla in the ******* Publix parking lot!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Usually there is nobody on the road when i drive (12pm-1:30pm) on that stretch of the turnpike on a saturday. Esp on the way back around 7:30 - 8:30pm there is absolutely no-one. Since i travel alone for the most part, I dont mind risking my life to drive 100-120mph. Tickets suck at that speed, and I have gotten them for 100+ (costs anywhere from 1000-2500 after lawyers etc), but thats a chance im willing to take. I absolutely refuse to drive 65mph the whole way to carslisle. The show i am talking about is the GM Nationals. It's a tradition in my own way, every year for the last 3 I have never done under 100 the entire trip. As soon as I get thru the EZpass tolls, the pedal hits the floor and thats that.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
Usually there is nobody on the road when i drive (12pm-1:30pm) on that stretch of the turnpike on a saturday. Esp on the way back around 7:30 - 8:30pm there is absolutely no-one. Since i travel alone for the most part, I dont mind risking my life to drive 100-120mph. Tickets suck at that speed, and I have gotten them for 100+ (costs anywhere from 1000-2500 after lawyers etc), but thats a chance im willing to take. I absolutely refuse to drive 65mph the whole way to carslisle. The show i am talking about is the GM Nationals. It's a tradition in my own way, every year for the last 3 I have never done under 100 the entire trip. As soon as I get thru the EZpass tolls, the pedal hits the floor and thats that.
My brother and I rode souped-up hyabusa's from Ocala to Tampa averaging 140mph. I admit ,that was crazy and I was younger, but most people will never know that kinda rush!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

As along as you keep good oil pressure I don't see what the problem would be.

Back home all the farmers have pump backs, and wells powered by 350's, 454's, and 460's, they run for days on end at 4,000+ RPM's. and they will last a couple season's.

Revin the engine up and down, all the time, is harder on an engine than just staying at a constent RPM...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

thought this was a car forum... OP asked whether or not his engine would hold up, not whether or not he was being socially responsible. If he wanted a lecture, he probably would have called his mother. Not to mention, cruising at 115 is a lot safer IMO than a street race topping out at 150 in the dead of night. We have a whole section for that on this website. BTW, I think that the engine will hold up just fine. just my .02
Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM tested the LS1 at redline for 500 hours with zero failures. You'll be fine.

EDIT- and people, quite bitching at him for speeding. Everyone speeds, so get over yourselves.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had not seen one either until i was doing about 85 on the Indiana toll road when this brown flash appeared in front of me before i rammed it with the front end of my work truck..if i had been in a car,it would have been ugly...
Old 01-24-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have OBVIOUSLY never been on the PA turnpike.

EDIT- and people, quite bitching at him for speeding. Everyone speeds, so get over yourselves.
Yes I do. But not that fast on a major, heavily traveled road like the PA turnpike. Your also not going to see me making excessus or trying to defend why I drive fast.

I've been over 150mph on the German Autobahn and I can tell ya it will scare the hell out of you when someone changes lanes in frot of you when your doing 50+MPH faster than them. I'm still cleaning **** out of my pants from that one.

Re'
Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by troopercar
Wow. I didn't expect to see so many goody-two-shoes whining about 100mph on this board.
And there's another difference - those of us who aren't "stuck at a mental age of 14" KNEW there'd be no shortage of immature idiots getting their panties in a bunch over anyone raising a caution flag...

And seriously - this thread is idiotic, and is begging for a ...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
You'll change your attitude when YOU have 19 year old kids and 70 year old parents sharing the turnpike with kids that think it's cool and a great rush to cruise at 115 on the turnpike. Short bursts of speed with a clear road in front of you is one thing, 100mph+ for any kind of distance is another altogether.

Most good advice falls on deaf ears, I don't expect to change anybody's behavior. I just ask that if you decide to do something like this, make sure you're as safe as possible - clear headed and in a safe automobile with NO distractions and KNOW the road you're going to be driving. As long as your car's major systems - cooling, lubrication, fuel, ignition, BRAKING, etc. are in good shape, you shouldn't have any problem running an engine at 3K for extended periods. Make sure to check your brakes often, a soft pedal when you really need positive braking can be catastrophic and heat at speed can sure kill braking power.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stop crying and trying to change peoples habits. If he wants to cruise at 115mph, let him do it. I'm sure he's well aware of the consequences and doesn't need people jumping down his throat when he's asking questions.

OP: No problem. long distance driving even at 3k rpm is better for the motor then your average commuter who only drives a few miles to work, the store, mall, etc all the time never giving the motor a chance to fully warm up. Not the best for gas mileage, but yeah. good luck.
115 MPH really isnt all that fast, not to mention im sure he isnt doing it through alot of traffic. Unless the guy is a comlete idiot im sure he is well aware of what could happen at that speed. And if there is a big enough pot hole to make you spin out at 115 then it must be one hell of a ride at 75 lol. I hate it when people on this forum try to act all "mature" and act like they dont beat on there cars, speed or do anything dangerous in their high performance cars!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

See, you talk about young kids (19-25) speeding over 100 on the highways (i am 19), but you forget, most people can't afford a nice car to do it in, so they do it in their junker honda accords and beater Fords. Even my Camaro I wouldn't take much past 100, because it is a bucket of bolts. The GTO just carves the roads at 100-120 and it feels ultra solid.

Did you know the PA Turnpike was designed to be traveled at over 100 miles per hour? Yet they set the speed limit at 55. I think I'll do more than twice that, thanks. Oh, and yes, I don't do that **** when other cars are around. Maybe 1 or 2 on the far right, but I just stay in the left and haul ***. Those 2 or 3 people usually see me in their side mirrors coming up at a clip and hit their brakes way before I am up to their ***.

Quick Reply: Cruising at 3000 RPM+- for hours..bad??