Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cruising at 3000 RPM+- for hours..bad??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
You have OBVIOUSLY never been on the PA turnpike.

Yes I do. But not that fast on a major, heavily traveled road like the PA turnpike. Your also not going to see me making excessus or trying to defend why I drive fast.

I've been over 150mph on the German Autobahn and I can tell ya it will scare the hell out of you when someone changes lanes in frot of you when your doing 50+MPH faster than them. I'm still cleaning **** out of my pants from that one.

Re'
You dont need to think about deer to assume someone who lives in ca has never driven on the PA turnpike. I dont wanna if you have deer sleeping and chillin on the freeway. What, do they bust out a deck of cards and a cigar?

I just cant picture a deer playing dodgecar on the freeway.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:46 AM
dug
Banned

ever hear of the phrase,"deer caught in the headlights?" they jump onto the road and freeze. deers are the biggest threat during dusk or dawn

yeah the motor will be fine spinning 4500rpms. the speeding ticket and lawyer would probably cost more than the engine.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
See, you talk about young kids (19-25) speeding over 100 on the highways (i am 19), but you forget, most people can't afford a nice car to do it in, so they do it in their junker honda accords and beater Fords. Even my Camaro I wouldn't take much past 100, because it is a bucket of bolts. The GTO just carves the roads at 100-120 and it feels ultra solid.

Did you know the PA Turnpike was designed to be traveled at over 100 miles per hour? Yet they set the speed limit at 55. I think I'll do more than twice that, thanks. Oh, and yes, I don't do that **** when other cars are around. Maybe 1 or 2 on the far right, but I just stay in the left and haul ***. Those 2 or 3 people usually see me in their side mirrors coming up at a clip and hit their brakes way before I am up to their ***.

You have to realize a lot of people posting here have never traveled the PA turnpike especially around our location. The speed limit may be 55 but the traffic moves at 85 even if the road is crowded as hell. **** you'll get run off the road if you’re going 70. Plus I agree with how solid the Goat is at high speeds I've driven my G/F's 06 tons of times and 85-90 it that car feels like 50 in most cars. I think it has to do with the relatively heavy weight and IRS. My father owns a 96 cougar with a 4.6 and that car has a similar layout to the GTO large IRS long wheel base and it feels very stable at high speeds as well. So, yea your right there is a big difference in going 115 in a 88 civic compared to doing it in a highway cruiser.

Last edited by CaseyEaterMach1; 01-25-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you car will be fine at 3000 rpms for three hours...i drive down to georgia about twice a year in my car w/ the 3.73's anything over 70 is over 3000rpms and im usually around the 75-85 mph range...before anyone gets their panties in a bind, most of the way is about 75mph speedlimit...and thats a 14 hour drive (i usually make it in 10-12
Old 01-25-2008, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
And there's another difference - those of us who aren't "stuck at a mental age of 14" KNEW there'd be no shortage of immature idiots getting their panties in a bunch over anyone raising a caution flag...

And seriously - this thread is idiotic, and is begging for a ...
I am not 14, an idiot, or bunching my panties.

I don't drive crazy or stupid any longer. I did when I was very young (like most car guys).
I do still drive fast.
I drop the hammer on occasion, when the situation permits. Plus here where I live there are still some places to go where you can ride pretty good and endanger only yourself, the orange trees, and the deer and hogs.

I just did not expect the old lady responses on a car enthusiast board of all places.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jermzz
You dont need to think about deer to assume someone who lives in ca has never driven on the PA turnpike. I dont wanna if you have deer sleeping and chillin on the freeway. What, do they bust out a deck of cards and a cigar?

come on over to Indiana,you'll see plenty of deer playing cards on the freeway,lol..
'
Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermzz

Is all of your driving indoors?

We run over deer, hogs, raccoons, armadillos, possums, gators on occasion, and even house cats if we can catch 'em!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

65 or 115 it doesnt matter gm built these motor to take just about anything you throw at them
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

The service manager where I bought my GTO was warning me about balancing and rotating my tires because "The GTO was built to make straight, high-speed runs on the Autobahn"

Autobahn? WTF? lol Maybe he thought it was built in Austria.

Anyway, my Goat runs effortlessly as 100-110, and I wouldn't think twice about running it like that. Redlining it 2-3 times a day though? SELL SELL SELL!!!

Gerry
Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Teching In

yea, motor will be fine. GM does torture tests that are alot worse. PA is fun, i drive fast through it; there is very little traffic on I-84 and 81. 100+ is pretty easy and im drivin a mostly stock 87 irocz 305ci w/ a t-5. got the 3.45 rear end so 3K rpm is around 78 mph. if my all stock motor makes it for 6 hours yours should do 3, so . plus, us 19 year olds dont have much life left, gotta live it up haha
Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

btw, i saw a deer get hit by a car at 75 mph on the gs parkway. It was not pretty.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Given the stock (crap) bushings the GTO comes with, I wouldn't want to drive it @ 115 down the freeway. I hope you've replaced the bushings and strut mounts with aftermarket stuff, and didn't get one of the '06 cars with faulty OEM struts.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Shouldnt be an issue. The only issue I see are the crazy amount of fuzz ive seen are the turnpike. I drive to VA at least twice a month, in my park avenue, thank God for a second car. But anyway I was there on Friday, 6 cars on 76 on the way there 4 on the way back. Mind you thats from exit 53 to 146. Ive taken my camaro on that trip and i think most of the cops are sleeping as i usually average 100mph in either car. Just becareful and we getting to the point where deer will be in there full moon feeding.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Teching In

wow yea i drove all the way through virginia (north to south) on I-81, a total of about 280 miles and I dont usually see more than 1 or 2 cops which is very nice, makes for peaceful cruizing, just watch the radar.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Stock crap bushings huh....i wouldnt say that. i busted a halfshaft like it was a twig though and thats with intake and exhaust and a predator tune. lol. Yeah kistler, i'm telling you I never see cops when i make that trip. The past few years there hasn't been a single one. It is awesome. Also on the NJ and NY turnpike there wasn't one cop the entire 100 mile trip on a Sunday morning at 3am. i was doing a buck and a quarter for 30 miles. lol. Its all a straight line though so like the one guy on here said, can't be that bad on the bushings. lol.

ha ha, shoddy hog from the LS2 forums. i used to make some awesome threads over there til i got banned. if youve been there since early 2006, remember driving fast to the beach threads? lol.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:12 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
GM tested the LS1 at redline for 500 hours with zero failures. You'll be fine.

EDIT- and people, quite bitching at him for speeding. Everyone speeds, so get over yourselves.
Please Don't even think about lumping people going 10 mph over the speed limit in the same category as this atrocity. Everyone speeds at some point. Almost NO ONE will ever drive 50 mph over the speed limit on a freeway passing through traffic. If you're going down a freeway at 115 mph for 3 hours, you're coming into contact with hundreds, if not thousands of cars, no matter what time of day. That's over 350 miles of driving. The average freeway probably has over 1-2 dozen cars per mile at any given point in time.

Driving like that is completely reckless and irresponsible no matter what time of the day it is and no matter how many cars are on the road. If you ever pass a single person going that speed, you're a reckless danger to society. People forget, you're not passing a "car." You're passing a newly wed husband and wife. You're passing a family with kids in the backseat. You're passing someone's grandmother and grandfather. You're passing human beings, and driving like a complete ******* for long periods of time puts hundreds or thousands of lives in danger, including your own.

Yea, I get it, we own F-body's. There shouldn't be a single person on this website that hasn't been over 120 mph in their car. But there's a difference between going 0-120 on a completely empty stretch of road, then slowing down, the whole ordeal lasing 20 seconds vs. driving 50 mph over the speed limit past other drivers

The thing that pisses me off the most is he's going to do it with a group of people. Instead of one ******* weaving through traffic at 50 mph over the limit, we're gonna have a convoy full of 'em. Sorry, but people like this need to have their license removed and their car impounded.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
Stock crap bushings huh....i wouldnt say that. i busted a halfshaft like it was a twig though and thats with intake and exhaust and a predator tune...
Once you replace them with Pedders or Noltec pieces, you'll see what I mean. The ones on my '04 were shot with less than 13k miles. The stubs and half shafts aren't known to be great, either, but at least you know right away when they break. The bushings are more of a gradual thing that you aren't likely to notice until after you drive a car with a good set.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

ChocoTwat thanks for your inspiring post. I've driven 50+ mph over the PSL for hours on end in my GTO. I'd say a good 50% or more of my total miles on the vehicle are speeds 30 or more over the limit. I'm proud of that too. I've had my car impounded and dealt with license problems and all of that BS. Like that's going to stop people.

So you are saying at 3am if there is only 1 car in a single 1-hour period that I pass doing 50 or 60 over the limit, that is reckless? What if there isnt a SINGLE car? I've seen that a lot as well. My grandpop drove over 100 his entire life and never had any accidents. That was back in the days when you had no seatbelts and shitty brakes and if you ever had to make a quick move, it was all over. He survived. Grandmom drove the same way too, for 40+ years.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:30 PM
11 Second Club

if the pedal wasn't supposed to go to the floor, it would not go to the floor
Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by adillhoff
I still don't understand how driving 115 in a straight line is dangerous. It's not like the weather conditions are bad. I mean, what could happen? It would be different doing that on a back road or a road with low visibility... but a straight line. I never cruise at 115 because I don't feel I need to, but come on...
It's dangerous because speed and the energy that goes along with it increases by ^2. My math teacher explained this to us, I don't remember it verbatum but here's a quick rundown. Lets just say that 50MPH also has 50 units of power that goes along with it. Same for 70MPH, again I can't remember the exact units etc but the way he explained it is that you can square your speed and find a rough equivalent to energy. Therefore:

50^2 = 2500
70^2 = 4900

If you take the same make and model of car and drive one 50mph and one 70, slam the brakes on both of them at the exact same time. The car travelling 50mph will come to a stop, at that exact same time the car travelling 70mph will of only slowed down to roughly 50mph (4900-2500 = 2400 which is roughly the same energy at 50mph).

In other words SLOW DOWN! You may think cruising at 115 isn't a big deal. Guess what, if something runs infront of your car or you have a blowout it will take you way more than even double the time it would take someone doing 60mph to stop.

Quick Reply: Cruising at 3000 RPM+- for hours..bad??