Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 vs LS2

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicinity
But I heard there's a few parts different between the LS1 Camaro and the LS2 GTO, like some kind of "pan" and a few minor parts.

But I have another question. When you drop in a new engine, is it possible to swap the speedo for a new one so you can restart at 0 miles? Or do you have to constantly add?
any minor parts difference ought to be irrelevant, as long as it comes with the crate engine it's supposed to fit but again... so I've read. All the external dimensions I thought are the same.

you mean odometer, not speedo. The odometer (aka mileage) from what I remember is either stored in the LCD display on the instrument cluster, or in the PCM, or both. I remember this being talked about a few years ago, try a search on "odometer".
Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself am interested in the swap. The reasons I want an ls3 build vs. a 408 is simply reliable power. I realize that many competent shops can build a reliable stroked motor, but I only have one chance. I cant imagine having a mal-built motor start giving me problems within the first 5k miles. With a factory sealed ls3, you know what your getting, plus GM backs it with a warranty.

The other reason is that Employee pricee should be pretty good once they are readily available through the dealership.

ps: Does the ls3 motor mount up with the 4L60E?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ultraz
I myself am interested in the swap. The reasons I want an ls3 build vs. a 408 is simply reliable power. I realize that many competent shops can build a reliable stroked motor, but I only have one chance. I cant imagine having a mal-built motor start giving me problems within the first 5k miles. With a factory sealed ls3, you know what your getting, plus GM backs it with a warranty.

The other reason is that Employee pricee should be pretty good once they are readily available through the dealership.

ps: Does the ls3 motor mount up with the 4L60E?
Look at the first FAQ.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/499059-ls3-l92-info.html

LS3 is pretty much the same as L92.

Great block to start with.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...-P1897C53.aspx
Old 02-11-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zz4camaro1980
Sweet!! They're for sale! Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

If you want a motor that will kick *** N/A and hold up to boost if/when you go that route, go LS3. Since it's a smaller bore than the LS7, there's thicker cylinder walls, which in theory should hold up to more boost.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Katech "Value 427" FTW!!!!

http://www.katechengines.com/street_...tail.php?id=38
Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
well,the ls3 in a better engine,but neither of these is a drop in for an f body,there are lots of things that need changed in order to make it work,your best bet and cheapest is to buy a nice shortblock or longblock ls1
i have forged shortblocks starting at $2750, and longblocks at $5750.00
This is the best option if you are on a budget. You can get the short or long black and deal with all the other add ons later. If you do the swap you will have added cost to get the auxillaries to work and everyting else to mate up. Do a search. Contact some of the sponsors and see what they think. I'm sure they will be happy to give you and estimate.

Also, that extra money you'll save you will need to get the rest of the driveline up to speed.

Alot of money spent on motors goes up in tire smoke because the rest of teh car is neglected.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

ls3 no doubt
Old 02-17-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

You are about to get the best advice of your life, but since your 18 you will think that I am full of ****. Hopefully you won't because it will make your life much easier.

1. Go to college! Forget about cars for a little while.

2.Take your 9k and save it. Forget about buying a Camaro or any other car. If you MUST have a car think cheap, low maintenance.

3. Wear condoms. Always. Girls lie. They also tend to forget to take their little pills on a regular, timely basis. You don't need babies, or diseases.

4. Use the money to pay for school. If your school is paid for, use the money for books. If your books are covered, use the money for a month long travel abroad trip that almost every large university offers. It will be the experience of a life time.

Andrew
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default That's thinking out of the box!!

Well said Project GatTagO
Old 02-17-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He's right.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

weren`t some early LS2`s built with the 24x reluctor?
Old 02-17-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
You are about to get the best advice of your life, but since your 18 you will think that I am full of ****. Hopefully you won't because it will make your life much easier.

1. Go to college! Forget about cars for a little while.

2.Take your 9k and save it. Forget about buying a Camaro or any other car. If you MUST have a car think cheap, low maintenance.

3. Wear condoms. Always. Girls lie. They also tend to forget to take their little pills on a regular, timely basis. You don't need babies, or diseases.

4. Use the money to pay for school. If your school is paid for, use the money for books. If your books are covered, use the money for a month long travel abroad trip that almost every large university offers. It will be the experience of a life time.

Andrew
I agree 100%. I am going to school, working and paying for the camaro every month (and not even driving it right now cuz of the snow). It sucks having the car payment and taking out loans for school and having to work to have a social life but not having much of a social life from working, you get the idea...I am too attached to the car to let it go now because it is exactly what I have wanted since day one but sometimes I wish I would have waited until school ended. You dont even know what a lid is, let alone know anything about nitrous or power adders for these engines and you want to swap out an Ls1 for an Ls3 in a car that you dont even have. Something seems very wrong about that. you are going to end up spending way too much because of the lack of knowledge. If you think that you can just buy a car and put a nice shiny big motor in it and go with no problems or without changing anything else, you are wrong my friend. If you cant buy it straight up, I wouldnt get it at all. If you can or if you are dead set on going through with this. It would be best to get the car, keep it, take care of the small stuff (there is always things needed fixing or replacing when buying a used car), learn everthing you can about it, and pay it off (if you get a loan). Then when you are out of school, get a nice Ls3.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

well said project gattago and fbodyonly ..agreed +1 .
Old 06-09-2008, 02:42 AM
11 Second Club

He is right, but he isnt right

how do you know what this guy is gonna do in the future... maybe he is gonna take over his fathers business... maybe he is gonna work for a company and isnt planning on going to college... etc..

Im just saying, its not bad advice, but know what he is gonna do before..

Also wtf happened to the car? Some of us WANT a fast car and cant settle for weak suck cars.. I havent driven my car for 6 months and its driving me nuts!!!!

Quick Reply: LS3 vs LS2