Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Cam swap

im going to put a MS3 cam in and i was wondering what i have to change or replace to make it right, i know i have to put new springs and rods in but dont know what eles i have to do...I got a 2000 SS and it has 115k on it
Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Well techinically the LS1 is a Gen III engine. But with 115k I would definately do a timing chain and might as well do the (ported/shimmed) oil pump while you are in there.

-Springs (w/retainers, seats, valve seals)
-Hardened pushrods
-Timing chain (LS2 is the new standard replacement so it will be fine)
-Oil pump
-Gaskets (oil pump o-ring, timing cover gasket, and with that mileage waterpump gaskets)
-Crank Bolt (the stocker is TTY and not reusable)
-Oil/Filter/Coolant

If you are doing it yourself:

-Valvespring tool (Tim's tool is great, I prefer the more expensive More Tool from Thunder Racing)
-JPR tools or dowels from Home Depot.
-Proper hand tools - I torque everything to spec, and have a huge TW for the Crank bolt.
-Anti-seize - for the plugs.
-Locktite - for the cam retainer bolts, rocker arm bolts, etc etc.
-3 arm pulley pullers
-Supplemental lighting.
-Crank pulley installer or longer crank bolt.
-Patience.

Also good fishing line and a good extendable magnet are great for the oil pick-up tube bolt on the bottom of the oil pump.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info..Would i be able to do it a days time? if i had all the right tools
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Thanks for the info..Would i be able to do it a days time? if i had all the right tools
If you have done it before and have help, yeah sure. I usually put asside at least two days with breaks etc. Although I can do a cam swap in a few hours, if you are doing oil pump, timing chain, or other things then the PITA factor for specific things get higher.

Valve spring changes especially in a F-Body will take a while, just pay attention to the little tricks that help out (like a spot of grease on the valve locks to hold them in place). Speed will also depend on your tools too...

I would put asside a whole weekend if it is your first time. Start the tear down and draining of fluids Friday night, get a good rest and start Saturday morning and work to your comfort level then finish up on Sunday... Don't rush it because that is when you miss something or make a mistake, which could be expensive, and/or down your car for a while.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Talking

i wish i had done it befor but never had.. But i got alot of offers from people to help this place is great and thanks for the info man

Quick Reply: Cam swap