Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is it possible to build a 400 ci motor on 5g's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
Where did you find that?
I found it locally from a friend of a friend. I guess the guy I bought it from was getting divorced. The invoice from LME was substantially higher than what I paid!

My point is that deals can be found if you look hard enough. Now here's the bad part of doing something like this. You will probably spend close to 3k-4k, if not more, for supporting mods (fuel system, clutch, driveline, suspension, rearend, etc)

It sucks but I would rather have fun and spend my money on my car rather than blowing my money on something stupid.....like women.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKMac
It sucks but I would rather have fun and spend my money on my car rather than blowing my money on something stupid.....like women.
Amen
Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Honestly I'd take that $5k and put it towards a blower setup... make the same power as a 400+ inch motor, with much better drivability.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by baldurann
Honestly I'd take that $5k and put it towards a blower setup... make the same power as a 400+ inch motor, with much better drivability.
Then you've spent $5000 to max out a stock bottom end and will run into pushing water, lifting heads, and ring seating issues. A stroker motor is about $850 more dollars (crank cost) to build than a "BUILT" stock cube motor. Pistons, rods, gaskets, cam, heads, and machine work are all the same price no matter what size you go with. Think about it.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baldurann
Well i would do that but it makes no sense.

1) Id be doing it to a 75k mile engine
2) Right now the eninge doesnt really have the right supporting mods for that either
3) N/A is way more badass
Old 04-07-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its all about price shopping. Why would you pay $850 for a crank when you can buy the same one for $698 from another company...
Care to elaborate on where you found an aftermarket crank for $698?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Care to elaborate on where you found an aftermarket crank for $698?
Yeah, they're a "non sponsor" so I'll pm you their name. I got a SCAT 4.00 stroke ls1 crank that came balanced to my bobweight(mallory added), and key wayed for a good balancer (if you wanted to run a blower). This is my first SCAT crank, I have always bought Eagle cranks. I will say this...the SCAT crank is a hell of a lot better quality in my opinion.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 408z28
Yeah, they're a "non sponsor" so I'll pm you their name. I got a SCAT 4.00 stroke ls1 crank that came balanced to my bobweight(mallory added), and key wayed for a good balancer (if you wanted to run a blower). This is my first SCAT crank, I have always bought Eagle cranks. I will say this...the SCAT crank is a hell of a lot better quality in my opinion.
So I take it you built your 408 yourself? PM me the non sponsor you are referring to.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to do the work yourself and shop smartly you can build anything cheaper than you can buy it. But do you know what your doing is the question. IF you have to replace that short block in 2 years your not saving any money at all.

Then the heads come into play. Again if you can port your own you can save money.

Cranks are a dime a dozen on ebay, it doesnt take anyone special to sell on there, or even anyone who knows what they are doing.

With a proven vendor on here you are 100% ahead of the game.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
If your going to do the work yourself and shop smartly you can build anything cheaper than you can buy it. But do you know what your doing is the question. IF you have to replace that engine in 2 years your not saving any money at all.
Yeah that's what I was going to do but when I got down to it setting everything up I got worried. I didn't what to have to worry about rebuilding the motor for a long while. I wanted something that could be beat on at the track and DD if I wanted it too. My car is not a DD and is not an all out track car either. I go to the track about 8-10 times a year and drive it on nice days and weekends.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I consider myself to be competant with a wrench but I've never actually built an engine.
Maybe a 346 re-build would have been a good place to learn but I wasnt about to drop a few k on parts only to ruin them with my inexperience building engines putting them together. Had I the money to waste on learning lessons maybe I would have gone for it. Would rather drop the coin on tuition at SAM and learn the right way though.

Hey theres someone looking for an ls1 in the parts wanted section if you still have that in your sig
Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

I built mine and it's running great using a top end that nobody thought would work. My thing was that with an engine builder such as a sponsor, you don't know what kind of care went into building your motor. If you build it yourself, you know it's right, and you are to blame if something goes wrong.

Not to mention a buddy just bought a nice engine off a sponsor, and they didn't get the cam bearings in well. With just a few miles on the car during initial tuning, a cam bearing came out. And the builder didn't even pay for removal of the engine. Just fixing it and shipping. Pathetic.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N4cer
I built mine and it's running great using a top end that nobody thought would work. My thing was that with an engine builder such as a sponsor, you don't know what kind of care went into building your motor. If you build it yourself, you know it's right, and you are to blame if something goes wrong.

Not to mention a buddy just bought a nice engine off a sponsor, and they didn't get the cam bearings in well. With just a few miles on the car during initial tuning, a cam bearing came out. And the builder didn't even pay for removal of the engine. Just fixing it and shipping. Pathetic.
That is the type of **** that scares me. Ive never let anyone do anything on any car ive ever owned for that exact reason. Just because someone is a sponsor of a website doesnt mean everyone that works for them knows what they are doing 100%

On the other side of the coin ive never built an engine outside of a 2 stroke snowmobile engine.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope it wasn't LME! I have heard nothing but good things about them. I will be geting my short block from them and I'll be doing everything else.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Launching!

+1..

Ive had more problems with **** ive bought from someone else than stuff ive put together. NOBODY will put as much focus, and attention to detail into YOUR motor than you will. Just cause one person can't do something doesn't mean everyone cant. Some of us restore cars and build engines for a living.

Besides....90% of "sponsors" dont "build" engines themselves... their engines are sub contracted out to local machine shops. This doesn't mean anything, because these machine shops are plenty capable of doing the work. It just shows you that someone that gets paid to assemble engines is assembling your engine. Therefore... its "work" to someone...some days you just dont want to go to work. Think about how many times you've showed up for work hung over or pissed off and screwed up something @ work. Thats the point I was trying to make, by everyone is capable of making mistakes.

just my .02 ..... everybody has there own opinions though. To each his own.

Last edited by 408z28; 04-07-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

2) Right now the eninge doesnt really have the right supporting mods for that either
Very good reasons with which to build a big motor. lol
Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Second Club

1) That's not many miles
2) Add rod bolts
3) Not really when you can make better power and times with FI, then still get great gas mileage. But I say spray it instead. NA is great, but fast is cool no matter how you get there. At the end of the day, ET talks and "NA vs. Power Adder" walks.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1ORANGEWS6
I hope it wasn't LME! I have heard nothing but good things about them. I will be geting my short block from them and I'll be doing everything else.
No comment.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No comment.

Lol ill take that as a yes
Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

HKE. In over 800 short and long blocks he has never had one come back. Quality is job one with him and his prices aren't bad at all.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to build a 400 ci motor on 5g's?