Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 heads, stock 6.0 shortblock Tsp 233/239 cam 10.80's

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:24 PM
On The Tree

your story and your buddies story are not even matching up. Buddy says he threw a rod, you said he pushed a valves out of the exhaust. There is also no need for either of you to come in here and bash texas speed. They are honest guys doing a lot more for the community and helping budget racers like my self get out there and run with the big mouths than you guys are doing being big mouths. Maybe this Burgers guy is a flake? Maybe you guys are flakes? Maybe you guys are trolls from another shop? We got no clue. What we all do know is Texas Speed is a great place, and stand up guys.
Old 07-07-2008 | 07:39 PM
11 Second Truck Club

When the rod bolts break the piston is free from the crankshaft and would be easily pushed to the top of the bore on the next revolution, breaking valve train components. These components would then bounce around in the cylinder tearing up the cylinder walls and the combustion chamber till they were broken up into small enough pieces to escape back through the cylinder head and out into the header pipe. The rod bolt was the cause of the failure. Sorry, I thought this was clear to everyone. This is why I have a hard time believing the heads are in perfect running condition on the 440 ci LSX block in the car that was still running high six second 1/8th times Saturday. I'm sure that telling the rest of the story is gonna get me banned from LS1tech, but I thought people should know.
Old 07-08-2008 | 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

You could be right....we were told they were going onto the 440 though. And .2+ seconds in the quarter mile from a head swap is a good gain for just CNC porting already nice flowing heads from GM.

If the 440 did not perform at the track, that's not on us. We didn't build it

So what do you have against Ryan? And again, which heads of ours have YOU had that you have not been pleased with? It's fun to watch you kids grow up. Two summers ago you were posting asking if you could run stock pushrods with your camshaft...and then you're back this summer and you seem to be an expert on our products (since every post you make is in a thread about our stuff).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 07-08-2008 | 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Two summers ago you were posting asking if you could run stock pushrods with your camshaft...and then you're back this summer and you seem to be an expert on our products
Just because he called bs on some crappy lies? He never claimed to be an expert. I was the one complaining about your heads. Me and MPFD have raced together for years. We both saw the BS going on. The point of the motor was low $. I do not see how CNC ports on L92's was worth 2 tenths. Unless they were free, which they were. Anyway, with all the BS going on I would say your results don't mean much.
Old 07-08-2008 | 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by quik406
Just because he called bs on some crappy lies? He never claimed to be an expert. I was the one complaining about your heads. Me and MPFD have raced together for years. We both saw the BS going on. The point of the motor was low $. I do not see how CNC ports on L92's was worth 2 tenths. Unless they were free, which they were. Anyway, with all the BS going on I would say your results don't mean much.
So which heads of ours have YOU run? And why is it so hard for you to believe that CNC work can net .2? And, not that it's any of your business, they were not free! Ryan paid just like any other customer. Did he get a deal? YES. But they were far from free. Sorry to ruin that part of your argument.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:08 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Thats not what he telling people at the track, but at this point who knows what to believe?
But it's good to know that you did some research on me last night. Did you go and read everything I wrote or just my early posts? Hope you didn't lose any sleep.
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Neh, I just searched this morning. Maybe, if you're hardcore enough, next summer you can post in threads pertaining to volumetric efficiency and the like

Old 07-08-2008 | 10:18 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Before, as posted above was a 10.80 with the GM heads. By swapping to our CNC'd L92 heads the car went about 10.50 in the 1/4! Again, I don't have the exact ET's, but it was a little over 2/10th's from what I was told.
What was this all about then?
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The car went over .2 faster. What's your question?

Old 07-08-2008 | 10:25 AM
11 Second Truck Club

What do you wanna know about volumetric effiecency. I know enough to understand that when cylinder head gods write about using epoxy to fill-in port volume on L92's to make them flow better that CNC work is probably the wrong direction to go.
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:26 AM
11 Second Truck Club

You don't think that the 76 extra cubes probably contributed more to the car picking up 2 tenths?
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:30 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

The engine was a stock 6.0l that the customer replaced stock l92 heads for the PRC l92 heads. It was a really simple swap & a good independent test.

The engine dyno has also shown 30+hp gains from the head swap. That makes sense based on the ET gains we're seeing here.

Jason
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Maybe your thinking about when they had rod bolts die on their first 6.0l motor?!?!? That was done before the new heads were installed. I don't know everything about it, I just received the call about how happy the guys were with the cylinder heads. I'll pm Ryan & ask him to post clearing up all the B.S. MPFD is trying to spead in this thread. The customer had the experience with the heads, he can end your speculation.

Maybe you could get a job working for them MPFD, you could be the shop manager, you definately know everything about them!

404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com

Last edited by Jason 98 TA; 07-08-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2008 | 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Good grief guys, this thread sure went into the toilet.

I don't have 2 hrs to fix this thread, please dial down the arguing or I might as well lock it. Perhaps the poster (Ryan) can post an update and answer a few questions and set the record straight.

To Quick and MFD, please take it down a few notches, all this thread now is about arguing and it's losing any technical value.

ADMIN
Old 07-08-2008 | 11:08 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Burger:
For everyone asking what to use to build a budget motor with L92's here is what we put together with factory junk. Stock short block 6.0 with stock flat top pistons, stock casting L92 heads (we up graded the valves with manley valves), Patriot springs, Gm 6.0 head gaskets, Tsp pushrods, Tsp 233/239 v2 cam on 112. Electronics are stock coils, Msd Ls1 box with pro data software, Gm plug wires and NGK tr6 plugs. Pacesetter 98-02 race headers for the exhaust. Induction is the L92 carbed Gm manifold, and a Proform carb.

The heads are as cast with no milling and no clean up. The stock shortblock came out of a wrecked 07 chevy pickup. There was no machine work done and no valve notching in the pistons. With exception of the cam,msd, and headers, it is all gm junk working for a budget bolt together motor.

The car is a 83 Olds Cutlass with a race weight of 3300 pds. Its first pass off the trailer was 10.96 119 mph 1.50 60ft, after jetting the carb and ajusting the timing it ran 10.86@ 124.32 mph with 1.52 60ft. We went to the pits to change the squirters on the carb and we had left the box at the shop. The car has alot more in it, we just need to tune on the carb to get it there. We are going back to the track this weekend and are going to finish tuning it.

Hope this helps anyone trying to build a true budget motor.

Matt:
That is quite impressive IMO! I'd love to see it with some of our CNC'd L92 heads on there

Burger:
Matt at Texas Speed is Setting us up with some CNC'd L92's and we will have test result with JUST a head swap to see what is really gained at the track. After the heads,
Matt:
Ryan, when you get time can you post some results from that head swap?? I hear it worked out well!
Matt:
Well, I guess I'll tell the results...I don't have the timeslips or exact numbers, but they should be very close!

Before, as posted above was a 10.80 with the GM heads. By swapping to our CNC'd L92 heads the car went about 10.50 in the 1/4! Again, I don't have the exact ET's, but it was a little over 2/10th's from what I was told.
Jason:
Great results my friends! Glad to see they did what we expected them to do for you. Haven't you been reading the other l92 threads? Didnt someone tell you by looking at the pics of other peoples heads that that head can't make that kind of power gains??
Matt:
The stock motor being refered to was the 6.0L short-block. It was a core motor that was CHEAP and not built up. You're talking about the 440ci motor which is a completely different story.
Matt:
The 30 over 6.0 COULD be referring to the old 6.0L, but not the 440 obviously. Maybe someone was BS'ing you? It happens at the track more often than not. It very well could have a brake, again I have not been told it did. And why would the guy sell his whole package for $3K if it's a better/cheaper combo than the Gen3 stuff?
Matt:
So you're calling BS...saying he never installed the PRC heads on the 6.0L? Do you have anything to back up your claims?
MPFD:
Did you send him a second set of heads? Cause he told us point blank how much of a mess the the LQ9 made when it blew. Do you believe that the heads would be re-usable after sending an exhaust valve down the header pipe? He told us the intake and headers were the only thing salvageable left.
Matt:
You could be right....we were told they were going onto the 440 though. And .2+ seconds in the quarter mile from a head swap is a good gain for just CNC porting already nice flowing heads from GM.
Matt:
The car went over .2 faster. What's your question?
MPFD:
You don't think that the 76 extra cubes probably contributed more to the car picking up 2 tenths?
Jason:
Maybe your thinking about when they had rod bolts die on their first 6.0l motor?!?!? That was done before the new heads were installed. I don't know everything about it,

Last edited by MPFD; 07-08-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2008 | 01:08 PM
9 Second Club

Let set the record straight. The car as of June 25, 2008 has a LSX motor with TSP L92 heads. This motor was built the week before to use in the car for Pinks All Out on June 27-28 in St. Louis Mo. The Stock LQ9 low budget motor was put in the car in March of 2008. We ran it at Arkansas city K.S. at Mid America Dragway in April and May of 2008, with the car running a best time of 10.86 @124.32 mph. Matt @ Texas speed and performance contact me and said that he and the guys would like to see what just swaping over to there cnc'd version of the heads would gain. We came to agreement and they hooked me up with a set (which I paid over $1000 for). While they were being shipped the we went racing at M.A.D. and in the first round of eliminations one of the #7 rod bolts let go. Keep in mind that this was a 100% stock LQ9 motor including rod bolts. When the we were picking up the pieces off the track we pick up one of the exhaust valve heads that had made its way out the exhaust. There was damage to the stock heads the camshaft that we had put in for that weekend to try, the block was cracked. Only good parts left was the headers and the manifold. We had 2 other stock LQ9's setting at the shop. We received the heads from TSP, reassemble the motor to the exact specs of the first motor with the exception of the the Tsp heads. We took the car to Kansas International Dragway on June 14, 2008 for a late night test and tune. The Car ran a 10.56 @ 127.37 mph with the only changes being the TSP heads. The following day the motor was pulled out for placement of the LSX which was at the machine shop being deck and bored. As for the two guys talking all the BS the first time I meet either one was on Sat July 5. They pit next to us for the heads up race we had entered. We talked for 4 maybe 5 minutes max, and now they are experts on what has gone on over the last 4-5 months with our car? The problem this weekend was not the motor which is still being broke in, it was the first gear of the trans that let go on the launch of the first pass of the day. We new we did not have a chance of winning but we limped the car to first round. The car has a TH400 and DOES NOT HAVE A TRANS BRAKE. Marty Chance @ Chance converters can verify this. He was in the true 10.5 class with me this weekend and his father Neal Chance is the one that is going to rebuild the trans and install a trans brake for me. But I did launch the car in 2nd and was foot braking it and it pulled the wheels and had a 60ft of 1.53 in first round. We took home a $200 dollar paycheck also not bad for running a broke car.
Old 07-08-2008 | 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Maybe you could get a job working for them MPFD, you could be the shop manager, you definately know everything about them!
That would be tough, You guys were taken. Do you really belive these jokers have a race shop YA

Jason please tell everyone why you guys cnc L92's? And then sell them to guys running a 6.0L It does not set well with me. Explain to the masses D/C of a 2.160 valve and how increasing the cross section helps them I would not be against you I am sure you do many great things, but this was all bs lies, you had to answer the et lies, because burger did not. Then you let everyone believe they were on the old 6.0. Then Matt said he knew they were going on the LSX, Did anyone else realize a lsx 440 was invovled?? I was mad because of that, and selling an almightly cnc l92 that does not work.

What do you get for them? $1200? You could be helping folks spend there money more wisely. Not to pay for your CNC machine!

I guess all the "hardcore" guys were right, the mods would come to your rescue!

Chris
Old 07-08-2008 | 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Qwik406 build the motor as stated and disprove what results are had. Tell us since you no all about L92 and 6.0's what are the correct times in your eyes for a Stock L92's 6.0 364ci with carb run? Keep in mind I have not been out trying to sell anything and have not profitted off anything that has been posted. I was just showing a good combo of parts that can be built cheap. Tsp heads are not cheap ($1200-1300) but there are gains to be had from them. But what do I know I just drove the car down the 1/4mile and picked up the slip. I don't have a clue what the beef is between TSP and Qwik406 and I don't really care. Tsp has always treated me right and all the people I have sent there. Thanks Ryan
Attached Thumbnails L92 heads, stock 6.0 shortblock Tsp 233/239 cam 10.80's-time-slips.jpg  
Old 07-08-2008 | 01:47 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Quik: You don't understand still that this therad is about the 6.0L builds and the L92 head swap results. The 440 was planned, but should never have been in this thread! It will get its own thread with results I am sure. The only people that thought the results were 6.0L to a 440ci were you two. It was VERY clear in the thread that it was just a head swap. But you read what you want to read I guess.

.2 in the 1/4 mile is a great gain from a head swap. We aren't increasing the volume or cross section of that head to the point that it is unwise to install on a 6.0L. You surely have seen all the people here that complain that their heads are not 100% CNC'd in the ports right? Why do we NOT touch every point?? Because it is not needed to better the airflow and it keeps the runners reasonable! We have CNC machines for a reason, to sell more parts and make money. Even your buddies at hardcore aren't in this business solely to help you. They do it for a living just like we do! If someone wants to be a humanitarian, they aren't going to open a shop to accomplish this!

Old 07-08-2008 | 02:54 PM
On The Tree

losing any technical value.
The mods right, lets get this back on track.

Jason explain to us kids, why L92 are great on a 6.0L and why we should waste are hard earned cash on a set of your cnc's to maybe gain a tenth or two?? Please? We all want to learn!

Quick Reply: L92 heads, stock 6.0 shortblock Tsp 233/239 cam 10.80's