Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

who is happy with their LSX block?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who is happy with their LSX block?

Im looking for some input on these blocks now there is some seriouse heads coming out for them im looking to push the limits with this block. Not sure yet of many specifics but around the 1500-2000 hp would be nice and achievable from what i understand now with all these new parts and flow numbers, just guaging peoples input on how you like your block where there many problems gettitng what you wanted done when you built your engines any info is appreciated thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I am biased, but I am very happy with mine. At that power level you need to use an builder with LS high horsepowe experience.

There are plenty out there.

Good luck!

Robin
Old 05-11-2008, 10:12 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

Have the core shift issues been resolved?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

want there a big problem with the paint getting breaking down and clogging the coolant passages? did they solve that problem?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is doing great, have about 1700 miles on with no problems.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Launching!

core shift issue? now what exactly have you heard on this issue?
Old 05-12-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Never heard of a core shift issue, this is precisely how rumors get started.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The core shift was a rumor based on what a dealer was guesing. It had to do with the changes made to the molds to solve issues during the casting process. No blocks were machined because they caught the problem in QC before they machined the blocks.

The paint deal was a "if you have a problem with overheating" thread. Funny the guy who started the thread wasn't having any problems.

It appeared that the masking didn't extend into the water passage and for some reason the powder coating was flaking. It wasn't a big issue. If your worried have your engine builder wire brush any excess powder coating.

There are a bunch of other rumors but like I posted elsewhere. I can count on one hand the amount of defective blocks that were replaced. Three is not very many when you look at how many have been sold.

Robin
Old 05-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Launching!

i was told that these blocks arent designed well for a 440 build? im looking for a nice block and i assumed this would be the one I should use. but with a stroke of 4.125 i was told they come too far out of the cylinders as well how do the l92 blcoks compare? obviously a stupid question seeing as how tey are aluminum and not meant for 2000 hp lol
Old 05-14-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

I can't really address that but our LSX 454 is on a 4.125 stroke and 4.187 (4.185) bore.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by bifster
i was told that these blocks arent designed well for a 440 build? im looking for a nice block and i assumed this would be the one I should use. but with a stroke of 4.125 i was told they come too far out of the cylinders as well how do the l92 blcoks compare? obviously a stupid question seeing as how tey are aluminum and not meant for 2000 hp lol
You seem to be getting a lot of bad information. We have both 454 and 440 versions. Currently I am running the 440 in the car. 4" Stroke 4.185" Bore with a .038 jet in a single stage fogger.

Robin
Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Launching!

ok well this was sudjest to me NOT to use longer than a 4" stroke when using in a BOOST application im looking upwards of 20+ so im just triing to make sure im getting most of my info confirmed thanks alot guys
Old 05-15-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Second Club

ok well this was sudjest to me NOT to use longer than a 4" stroke when using in a BOOST application im looking upwards of 20+ so im just triing to make sure im getting most of my info confirmed thanks alot guys
A lot of that is based on where the larger stroke moves the wrist pin placement having an effect on the available space for the rings/ring lands. Some builders prefer to have a little more wiggle room, especially if you are running higher boost.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

With that kind of boost it would be prudent to stick to a shorter stroke. When it comes to boosted applications cubic inches aren't as important as piston stability. Remember this is a small block. The bore spacing and deck heights are the limiting factor. With a turbo or blower application I would keep the stroke in the 3.800" to 3900" range. It will give you more room for a decent size rod journal without needing to remove too much from the bottom of the block for clearance. A long stroke combined with a small rod journal in a max effort engine will encourage crankshaft deflection issues. It's not just the LSX engine it's any engine with a narrow bore spacing.

Robin
Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

See this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/921123-2000-hp-lsx-pics.html We have had ZERO problems with ours and we are making in the area of 2000 + horsepower
Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Launching!

i just PM'd worm boy I just saw that thread tonite when i got home. love the info on that build or if i could get a shortblock build somewhere.... locally Ive scared most of the builders cause they dont understand my want to be fast hahaha yah im just a kid still and dont discreadit me for that trust me I will have this built soon just need to find more people willing to show me where and how. plus the money but thats not a problem
Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

We've had to do the normal machine work on all the LSX'x we've gotten so far which is no different than on any other aftermarket block, so as far as that we've had no real probems.

The cylinders are the same length as the other OEM GM LSx blocks which is around 5.500-ish plus or minus a little. The C5R and LS7 have longer bores though and can use more stroke while maintaining a normal piston.

Like Robin said you aren't going to want to go longer than 4.000 anyway in general just due to the piston you will need for a big power adder engine. You could go longer on a mostly NA deal though that didn't need a huge dish.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:47 PM
FormerVendor

You are correct.. I am not having cooling issues "YET". But there is nothing funny about it. The QC on these blocks sucks!!!

I spent the time/effort correcting the problem, so hopefully I will never have an issue. BUT, it was very important to point it out to everyone. Because "IF" someone is struggling with an overheating issue, it is one thing they can look at..

Originally Posted by Robin L
The paint deal was a "if you have a problem with overheating" thread. Funny the guy who started the thread wasn't having any problems.

It appeared that the masking didn't extend into the water passage and for some reason the powder coating was flaking. It wasn't a big issue. If your worried have your engine builder wire brush any excess powder coating.

Robin
Old 05-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Launching!

why doesnt anyone use the lsx over a stock block? everyone wants to use the ls2 or l92 bloks for some reason when the lsx block is onl like 700 more
Old 05-26-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
You are correct.. I am not having cooling issues "YET". But there is nothing funny about it. The QC on these blocks sucks!!!

I spent the time/effort correcting the problem, so hopefully I will never have an issue. BUT, it was very important to point it out to everyone. Because "IF" someone is struggling with an overheating issue, it is one thing they can look at..

Was that block "hot-tanked"?

Quick Reply: who is happy with their LSX block?