Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Con Rod Cap Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Con Rod Cap Removal

With the hollow dowels locating the con rod caps, what is the best way to remove the cap with it being so tight? (after the bolts are removed )

(I searched through a stack of posts but found nada).

Main caps are reasonably straight forward with either a slide hammer fixture or a lever tool, but the rod caps leave me a little puzzled other than putting a rod or dowel down the hole and wiggling .

Aftermarket rods.

Thanks team.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clamp the cap in a rod vise or other vise with aluminum jaws. Wiggle back and forth gently, it'll come from together.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
Clamp the cap in a rod vise or other vise with aluminum jaws. Wiggle back and forth gently, it'll come from together.
Thanks BK, hope your knuckles are ok.

I neglected to mention that the situation is that the rods are in the engine. No problem when on the bench with the rod vice. I can think of backing the rod bolts out a little and tapping them if that is the normal method, but that seems a little impactful to me.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Launching!

OK, use a 1/2" or 3/4" oak dowel on the bottom of the piston and tap it with a mallet, alternating sides until you get the cap cracked loose. If possible, align the dowel on the pin boss rather than the bottom side of the piston crown.
Knuckles are fine but will be beat up again this weekend, I have an engine swap in a late 90's truck. My gf is always on be about my dings on my hands and knuckles and a little dirt and grease under my fingernails, but I remind her regularly that as long as I'm wrenching, she doesn't have to worry about finding lipstick on my collar...or anywhere else
Old 06-03-2008, 06:43 PM
8 Second Club

Loosen bolts, but do not remove completely. Remove socket from ratchet, place socket back on bolt, a couple light taps on the socket alternating between the 2 bolts, separates the cap with no fuss. Even the tightest aftermarket rods come apart like this.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice on this.

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
OK, use a 1/2" or 3/4" oak dowel on the bottom of the piston and tap it with a mallet, alternating sides until you get the cap cracked loose. If possible, align the dowel on the pin boss rather than the bottom side of the piston crown.
Knuckles are fine but will be beat up again this weekend, I have an engine swap in a late 90's truck. My gf is always on be about my dings on my hands and knuckles and a little dirt and grease under my fingernails, but I remind her regularly that as long as I'm wrenching, she doesn't have to worry about finding lipstick on my collar...or anywhere else
(yes nothing like spending time in the shop to keep out of trouble and a lippy free dippy, with follow on secure feeling for GF or Wif. )

Originally Posted by veee8
Loosen bolts, but do not remove completely. Remove socket from ratchet, place socket back on bolt, a couple light taps on the socket alternating between the 2 bolts, separates the cap with no fuss. Even the tightest aftermarket rods come apart like this.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Launching!

vee8, I'm going to try that one next time I'm dealing with a capscrew rod cap. I'm used to working on old style bolts and that doesn't work on those, most times it just knocks the rod bolt loose.

Quick Reply: Con Rod Cap Removal