Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 block starter mount broken off!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 block starter mount broken off!!

oh Jesus, this got to be the summit of all weirdness....

have a higher compression 427 (LS2 block) here where the starter case broke into 2 halfs whilst starting after a spark plug and wire change. Upon removing headers and broken starter to install new starter we saw that the outer "ear" on the block has broken off as well, it broke through the outer starter bolt so bolting in new starter not possible anymore. Just half the threads from the outer starter bolt hole remained.

Of course, engine turns over by hand very easily, it drove into shop with no problem except a not so good spark plug in cylinder 7.

did that happen to anyody else????????????? did anybodies housing starter break and jam itself up against the flywheel to break into pieces?

It is possible to weld the ear back on but have to take engine out to do that unless there are other means to repair the block. what a nuisance
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That happened to a friends LS6 block but his mysteriously did it after the dealer replaced his starter...

I can be fixed but you'd have to take it out to do it right.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

I bought a camaro with that problem, block had to be welded and then a custom bolt/nut made to hold the starter on. Not a huge deal, but yeah it was a PITA.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LS2 418 did the same thing, I tig welded the peace back on and installed a truck starter ,It have two long bolts instead of the inner short bolt. I believe what causes the starter to brake the block is the short tab on the starter brakes and puts all the load on the outer bolt and brakes the ear on the block, because of high compression or a starter back lash
Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

well, found the problem. Hard to believe with new Racetronics injectors but that's the way it is. Before I took engine out this afternoon I just switched on ignition, hear fuel pump come on and when it goes off I hear a strange gurgling sound coming from the FAST90 intake. Tried it again and same strange sound, like a waterhose running inside.

Take off intake and guess what, cylinder 2 completely filled up with fuel!!
Took out spark plug and fuel comes out..........

so for some reason the 42lbs Racetronic injectors stuck open and filled up the cylinder quietly. Engine hydrolocked and that why starter broke into pieces when we tried to start engine the next day after spark plug change. Means, engine did not have a problem with a bad spark plug, the injector probably went crazy over the last days and wetted plug so it could not fire.

Luckily, bearings, pistons and rods are all perfect, no other damage done

Why that bloody injector is stuck open (1000 miles old!!) will remain a secret to me....

Last edited by coolchevy; 06-06-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-07-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolchevy
Luckily, bearings, pistons and rods are all perfect, no other damage done
Lucky indeed. Really hard to imagine.

Those GM engineers sure are a smart bunch. Design the starter mount to break away to protect against hydrolock.

Quick Reply: LS2 block starter mount broken off!!