Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

what would your set up be for 600rwhp n/a

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schwartz, according to the article, stock LS7 heads, and what's mentioned above. Yes those are the #'s; 711hp/ 6,800 not bad for only custom cam, better pistons, and a set of headers. I'm beginning to think this supposed sleeve issue was started by some blue oval, ram head guys, lol.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bad6as
just gathering some ideas. if there are 346 with h/c/i making 500rwhp i dont see what is holding the 600rwhp back out of bigger motors.
Apples to Oranges.

There are many cars making 500rwhp with induction that are 346ci-..Good news is there are possible LSX combos for 600+rwhp NA like the guys have mentioned. Its not the technology holding back the 600rwhp from bigger motors there's plenty out there..Its everyones wallets.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss dave
Schwartz, according to the article, stock LS7 heads, and what's mentioned above. Yes those are the #'s; 711hp/ 6,800 not bad for only custom cam, better pistons, and a set of headers. I'm beginning to think this supposed sleeve issue was started by some blue oval, ram head guys, lol.
No, its true. I've seen pictures. Steve at RED has experience with them. Its high HP FI applications I think and I'm sure detonation has something to do with it.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, bottles and blowers can do that, I mistakenly thought that it was the N/A powerplants. Got a link on the motor mentioned: YouTube-Schwartz 700hp, found it in the page margin in the article. youtube.com/watch?v=bQ_iElSvmG4

Last edited by ss dave; 06-12-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just gathering some ideas. if there are 346 with h/c/i making 500rwhp i dont see what is holding the 600rwhp back out of bigger motors.
500 RWHP 346's are pretty radical and not that good on the street. There's nothing holding back big engines from making 600 RWHP, there's alot of them running around. I think 650-675 RWHP is the new mark to hit. As soon as a better intake is made to allow these badass heads to breath to their potential you'll be seeing 650-675 RWHP street cars running around.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

what would you all pick for ci on your 600hp build, 454 LSX, 427 LS3
Old 06-12-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just gathering some ideas. if there are 346 with h/c/i making 500rwhp i dont see what is holding the 600rwhp back out of bigger motors. i was just thinking about a build when this stock motor blows up, was thinking a 347 with a d1 at 14psi, or some type of all motor monster with a hit, for the i can beet 99% of stuf out there factor.

i know all the power will be made with the heads, cam and intake. looks like tfs 245's and a ported 92 intake with a cam in the 250's on intake and 260's on exhaust. but would like to save some weight if i could, mabye ls2 block bored out? not sure

Take and compare the dyno graphs and you will see that a 500 hp 346 has a nice peak hp number but no torque curve to match it. When you can have over 500 ft lbs at 3k and escalate from there to match the hp number with a bigger cube motor.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I first started motor shopping I wanted to build a 398. 4.185 bore with a 3.622 stroke and rev it as high as need be. Wanted to do 600rw on less than 400 cubes. Solid roller and LS7 heads with appropriate intake of course.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what would you all pick for ci on your 600hp build, 454 LSX, 427 LS3
454ci, you might as well make the power easier. But using the old plastic intakes is going to cut a 454ci down to a 408ci anyway. We've the badass heads but the intakes kill them. So go with a sheet metal intake so the engine can really make the power its capable of. You do it right and you can see 700 RWHP.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you wanted just alot of HP/TQ then it would be a build on an iron LSx block. You can punch those out to some large cubes, 470 and possibly bigger. With the right combo you could put alot of ponies at the wheels. Personnally, for a street application I perfer the light aluminum blocks just for the weight reduction over the steering components, but I'm biased in that I have a LME LS7.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by needadvice
there's a dozen C6 Z06's running around here with more than 600 RWHP. 615-620 is where they all are.
What kind of combination of heads and cams are they running? Do you have any dyno sheets? I talk to a lot of shops, I haven't heard of anyone making that much power.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
What kind of combination of heads and cams are they running? Do you have any dyno sheets? I talk to a lot of shops, I haven't heard of anyone making that much power.
It's the internet. EVERYONE is over 600rwhp, and it's easy . For the OP, see my sig. I stuck with the 440 because I didn't want the weight of an iron block if I didn't need it.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MPM IV
It's the internet. EVERYONE is over 600rwhp, and it's easy . For the OP, see my sig. I stuck with the 440 because I didn't want the weight of an iron block if I didn't need it.
Precisely, and precisely. That is why when our LSX 454 is finished in the Camaro, my own C5 Z is getting a LS7 440 similar to (probably a little tamer than) yours.

It just seems to me to be easier to take weight off the front of the F-body than the Y-body... Nice car you have there!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

i called a head porter myself that this guy is referring to (even though he didn't refer to him). he ports LS7 heads, i called because i was looking into them at the time. he told me C6 Z06's were breaching 600rwhp with is port work, stock intake, full exhaust, and a 230's duration cam with .650" lift. i grilled him for quite a while, Barry was his name. he obviously knew his stuff and was a very intelligent guy....just my $.02. he coulda been full of it, but that's what i was told. i take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt until i see my car on the dyno/at the strip, then i'll stand up for someone.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i called a head porter myself that this guy is referring to (even though he didn't refer to him). he ports LS7 heads, i called because i was looking into them at the time. he told me C6 Z06's were breaching 600rwhp with is port work, stock intake, full exhaust, and a 230's duration cam with .650" lift. i grilled him for quite a while, Barry was his name. he obviously knew his stuff and was a very intelligent guy....just my $.02. he coulda been full of it, but that's what i was told. i take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt until i see my car on the dyno/at the strip, then i'll stand up for someone.
Thats right, Barry. Air-Flo. There is noone better. 35 years building race engines and his shop is in the same location it was when he started. That says something right there. He has more experience than any builder or sponsor on this site will ever have individually. I personally see these cars at the local car shows, they do not lie. Problem is, 99% of people here think the sponsors are the end all of LSx engines and if they can't make the power, noone can. Wrong. People who don't have to advertise are the bad asses. His shop is always full of about a dozen C6 Z06 heads from people all over the country wanting his porting work, a few C5R builds and about a dozen big cube LSx builds going on, including 6-7 second single turbo engine builds.

Barry makes ALOT more power then anyone here with MORE streetable set-ups. How, don't ask me I don't build engines. He's doing my 454ci LSX iron block and it WILL make 650 RWHP through a 4L80E on pump gas. His C6 Z06's are running around all over and most are over 600 RWHP and very tame. You would NEVER know it standing next to one that it has 600+ RWHP N/A.

There's actually about 20 people from this site who have used him for complete engine builds and head porting work over the past 6 months that I personally know of. None are unhappy.

He's best known around this area, over a couple decades anyway, where noone has ever heard of one of his engines having a failure of any kind.

Last edited by needadvice; 06-14-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can PM me if you want the shops name, you can call him yourself and get dyno graphs.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MPM IV
It's the internet. EVERYONE is over 600rwhp
actually you have to leave the internet to find 600+ RWHP streetable cars that don't idle like crap and are on the verge of exploding.

Hell, they've been making over 600 RWHP with LSx engines in Aussie for 4 years, and YES, very streetable. Ask Ken Nunn.

Last edited by needadvice; 06-14-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting disortation. You managed to insult all the builders on this site in one post.

Just so you know, there is more than one person who knows how to build Barry isnt the only one with 35 years experience in the engine building industry...LOL

I'm a salesman. Its my job to sell and that means advertise. My builder doesnt advertise so by your logic he's the best as well. Thank you for helping me get that across to everyone.

Now dont take it the wrong way either, not insulting Barry, I'm sure he does great work but dont fool yourself into thinking that he's the only one. I happen to think my builder is right up there on top of the list as well, thats the only reason I had him produce my engines for me. He has big builds all over the world and no complaints, his engines make more power as well as being durable.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-14-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree that was a pretty bold statement considering some of the sponsers/advertisers on this site. Almost a shoulder chip statement that lends itself to a loss in credibility, albeit not to the builder. I'm sure Barry appreciates your "enthsiasm" but it might look better if painted with a smaller brush.
With that being said, since I'm interested in Barry's "experience" I got his # from 2000 SS with a dose of "heads up". Interesting, BTW, needadvice do you live in Pompano Beach, FLA?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Interesting disortation. You managed to insult all the builders on this site in one post.

Just so you know, there is more than one person who knows how to build Barry isnt the only one with 35 years experience in the engine building industry...LOL

I'm a salesman. Its my job to sell and that means advertise. My builder doesnt advertise so by your logic he's the best as well. Thank you for helping me get that across to everyone.

Now dont take it the wrong way either, not insulting Barry, I'm sure he does great work but dont fool yourself into thinking that he's the only one. I happen to think my builder is right up there on top of the list as well, thats the only reason I had him produce my engines for me. He has big builds all over the world and no complaints, his engines make more power as well as being durable.
Didn't mean to insult anyone, had some drinks last night. Its just that engine for engine, cube for cube, I have never seen any other builder anywhere make as much power as he does with smaller cams and great streetability. And price, its MUCH less than anyone else, I'm guessing because of overhead, no advertising whatsoever and he's basically a one man show.

I didn't say any sponsors were bad, but they do not put out the same level of engines as Barry does. I don't know why, you would think that after a person has about 10-20 years of experience they can build an engine the best it can be, so the playing field should all be the same, but its not.

Oh well, who knows.

Quick Reply: what would your set up be for 600rwhp n/a