Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

what would your set up be for 600rwhp n/a

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss dave
I agree that was a pretty bold statement considering some of the sponsers/advertisers on this site. Almost a shoulder chip statement that lends itself to a loss in credibility, albeit not to the builder. I'm sure Barry appreciates your "enthsiasm" but it might look better if painted with a smaller brush.
With that being said, since I'm interested in Barry's "experience" I got his # from 2000 SS with a dose of "heads up". Interesting, BTW, needadvice do you live in Pompano Beach, FLA?
No. Doral, FL, way way down in the depths of Miami. I see his work almost every day down here and he's the talk at all the car shows. I think he does Viper engines too. He also specializes in setting up ITB intakes, all custom made parts. I saw a Viper that had one, looked pretty damn awesome.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by needadvice
I didn't say any sponsors were bad, but they do not put out the same level of engines as Barry does.
Now your just and idiot. AN engine is an engine is an engine...no special tricks, just proper building techniques and since my builder taught/teaches them my builder puts out better engines than Barry does.

This isnt magic...LOL

I'll back out of this thread, I can see where its going.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 06-14-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:07 PM
11 Second Club

well what ci for staying with an aluminum block? and still have a budget
Old 06-14-2008, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MPM IV
It's the internet. EVERYONE is over 600rwhp, and it's easy . For the OP, see my sig. I stuck with the 440 because I didn't want the weight of an iron block if I didn't need it.
Whats the weight difference between the Iron and Aluminum? And is the long term realibilty the same between the Aluminum & Iron LS motors?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Whats the weight difference between the Iron and Aluminum? And is the long term realibilty the same between the Aluminum & Iron LS motors?
i believe it's around 100 lbs if i remember correctly, and apparently the iron block will handle more power than an aluminum block
Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

summit has a link, tfs took a lsx block, there 235's heads, and a 260's cam and made 680 on a engine dyno
Old 06-14-2008, 06:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 78novacaine
i believe it's around 100 lbs if i remember correctly, and apparently the iron block will handle more power than an aluminum block
ok thats what I thought and wasnt sure... I think most would stick with the iron just to have the extra reliability and strength compared to the aluminum.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

The weight difference doesn't seem that much, buy it does matter and you can feel it. However nothin' beats iron for reliabilty. More cubes, more FI, more juice, more power. Tuf n nuf.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss dave
The weight difference doesn't seem that much, buy it does matter and you can feel it. However nothin' beats iron for reliabilty. More cubes, more FI, more juice, more power. Tuf n nuf.
well im going from a Iron LT1 to a Aluminum ls motor so we will see if i can notice the difference, probably not but this is all good info for future reference.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
I think it's between 80 and 100lbs also. I've seen some aluminum block motors making incredible power without a problem. I imagine iron is stronger, but last time I had a motor failure the inside of the cylinder was chipped. With al. I could have resleeved, but since it was iron I got to buy a new block. The weight is at the front of the veh. which isn't good. More power will overcome the weight straight line, but it's always there when you corner or brake.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Look at MPH IV; check out the sig, he's one of those "everyone's makin' it" guys, not bad.
just got the set of DMHs installed with the new headers myself- so are they loud? lol can't wait to hear em- and then really use em.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Launching!

I am hoping for 600rwhp on my 402 L92 headed solid roller setup through a 6 speed. We will see though.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

needadive, is exactly what you need.
You say 20 people on here you know have an engine built by Barry, where is the threads why not the good words? Do a quick search for Erik Koenig at HKE or Brian at LME, and let the people speak for themselves, You may think Barry is the best, But he may be the only bloke around your neck of the woods, You cannot compare what you do not know. Get some sheets from Barrys builds and post them up. even better get people with his engines to post up if you know 20 of them on here alone!

Im with blanco on this one, not only judging from this site but Erik in my eyes is the best, Just like Brian would be the best for the next person, TSP for the next, and SDParts for the next, all very different builders but are sworn by because people have not tried anyone else.

Eriks results speak for him self, I can easily find them online and an array of posts from Erik on a large variety of forums. Oh did I mention he has 25 Years experience, Has built over 1000 LS engines and used to be the SAM Head machinist? But Don't listen to me LOOK IT UP FOR YOUR SELF.

Again this is my opinion which I keep to my self, and will hold it until the day im changed.

Scott

Originally Posted by needadvice
Thats right, Barry. Air-Flo. There is noone better. 35 years building race engines and his shop is in the same location it was when he started. That says something right there. He has more experience than any builder or sponsor on this site will ever have individually. I personally see these cars at the local car shows, they do not lie. Problem is, 99% of people here think the sponsors are the end all of LSx engines and if they can't make the power, noone can. Wrong. People who don't have to advertise are the bad asses. His shop is always full of about a dozen C6 Z06 heads from people all over the country wanting his porting work, a few C5R builds and about a dozen big cube LSx builds going on, including 6-7 second single turbo engine builds.

Barry makes ALOT more power then anyone here with MORE streetable set-ups. How, don't ask me I don't build engines. He's doing my 454ci LSX iron block and it WILL make 650 RWHP through a 4L80E on pump gas. His C6 Z06's are running around all over and most are over 600 RWHP and very tame. You would NEVER know it standing next to one that it has 600+ RWHP N/A.

There's actually about 20 people from this site who have used him for complete engine builds and head porting work over the past 6 months that I personally know of. None are unhappy.

He's best known around this area, over a couple decades anyway, where noone has ever heard of one of his engines having a failure of any kind.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

[QUOTE=99blancoSS;9543507][QUOTE=Black02SLPSS;9543242]
Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Interesting thread.

I looked at an LS7 block but didnt like some of the things about them.
There has been some issues with the sleeves.

So those are engine dyno nunmber then in the article?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Old 06-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ramairws6

Whats causing the rolly eyes ramair?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lilscottie
needadive, is exactly what you need.
You say 20 people on here you know have an engine built by Barry
20 people over the past couple years had everything from head/intake porting, head rebuilds and some engines. 416's to 427's. Most people I've seen come here to look for local shops, get info, and leave, they're frequent members on local F-Body sites. sffba.net...tons of engines and head work done by Barry through the years. He 's also known by LPE, Katech, Cartech, MTI, and alot of other shops, Barry does alot of their warranty work when a local customer has problems. I've seen engines and heads in his shop from these builders getting repairs.

Do a quick search for Erik Koenig at HKE
Yup, he's good too.

not only judging from this site but Erik in my eyes is the best, Just like Brian would be the best
I thin the best builders are those who make the most power with the best streetability. Barry is known for that. He makes more power than any sponsor I've ever heard of with comparable sized engines. Oh, he also builds outlaw class 6 second, 2,000 hp turbo engines. His latest which is in his shop and getting finished right now is a GM iron LSX 430ci, huge single turbo that they are hoping makes 2,300 hp. Going a pure drag Grand National. Barry built his last 7 second engine, now they're going for 6's.

One of hundreds of examples: My friend Les, "Hoserack" sffba.net. He had an iron 422ci built by Barry in 2004, 230 sized cam, ported LS6 heads and intake, 11.0 cr. Cam was Barry's choice don't know the specs. It idles very close to stock. Les has been spraying a 300 shot for the past 4 years. STREET CAR only. Has about 60,000 miles now. Made 535 RWHP back in 2004, NOONE else came close to that N/A power back then with a mild cammed 422ci. Made 880 RWHP on spray. The engine was just recently checked out and ITS STILL PERFECT. He's selling it because he just bought a C6 Z06, one that will be laying down OVER 600 RWHP with a low 240 ish cam, after Barry gets his hands on the heads, intake and recommends a cam.

Lotsa good builders out there, YES, but very few build a perfectly matched engine. Most big power engines I've seen are radically cammed and high cr.

Whatever, call who you want for a build. To each his own. Oh yeah, what shops give 12mon/12,000 mile full warranties on N/A engines....only those builders who know they can
Old 06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
AN engine is an engine is an engine
ah-ha, here's where your problem is. Not true. You don't just throw parts together, they must like each other and want to play well together, just like kids in the back yard.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

624 RWHP with this build as shown in the August 2008 Car Craft Magazine. Oh, it also got 21 MPG at 80MPH average, windows up and A/C running coming home from the 2008 Power Tour last weekend.

Last edited by tcr98taws6; 06-18-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an old school 327 pushing 630 to the flywheel and it still has the 200 shot to top it off if ever needed

Quick Reply: what would your set up be for 600rwhp n/a