Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Afr Ls7 Heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afr Ls7 Heads

Are AFR planning on bringing out a LS7 style head? Have anyone made big hp using the et ls7 heads.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Teching In

i love to see afr ls7 heads.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

I hope so!!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't hold my breath...it seems like their R&D is still focused on the cathedral port heads since their next product in the lineup will be a 235cc cathedral.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Just wishfull thinking at this point. I doubt you will see that, exp. without a good intake to keep up with the flow that it would produce. If a better intake shows up, who knows.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about AFR 235 any update on those???
Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Teching In

I just got some ETP ls7 4.1 bore heads. There going on my lsx 427 with big solid so we will see how they go.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

No point in making a "ls7" style head. It's just the flavor of the week...

The best business move would be a highport or canted valve head that would increase flow with minimal cross sectional increase and decrease in velocity.

Dont redesign the wheel copy what the ford guys have done and smile.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

If they are still in the world of catheral i would think they know something we dont-

meaning their is more on the table-

U get what u pay for

would be keen to be in the loop about the afr 235

Thanks

Nick--
Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Juiced

The best business move would be a highport or canted valve head that would increase flow with minimal cross sectional increase and decrease in velocity.

GM doesn't do flavor of the week. For them to make the move to rectangle ports on the ls stuff, there had to be a very valid reason. 620 rwhp on a factory intake port with just a valve job seems pretty damn good to me..
Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
GM doesn't do flavor of the week. For them to make the move to rectangle ports on the ls stuff, there had to be a very valid reason. 620 rwhp on a factory intake port with just a valve job seems pretty damn good to me..
I know that, but people are stuck on "l92" or "ls7" port, it is the same rectangle port shape that has been used on both Gm and ford big blocks and small blocks for years. It has to do more with valve angle and placement than anything else just look at the the ls1 is a 15* as opposed to a SBC's 23* and the LS7 is even lower. The Chevy SB2.2 or Edelbrock SBF victor line of heads can pump out. there is no point for an After market casting company to stick with the manufacturer trends after all we have plenty of great street heads we need all out race heads to compete int he racing world. it's good to see companies like allpro and world developing their own castings for all out flow in race apps.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 AM
TECH Addict

I know that, but people are stuck on "l92" or "ls7" port, it is the same rectangle port shape that has been used on both Gm and ford big blocks and small blocks for years. It has to do more with valve angle and placement than anything else just look at the the ls1 is a 15* as opposed to a SBC's 23* and the LS7 is even lower. The Chevy SB2.2 or Edelbrock SBF victor line of heads can pump out. there is no point for an After market casting company to stick with the manufacturer trends after all we have plenty of great street heads we need all out race heads to compete int he racing world. it's good to see companies like allpro and world developing their own castings for all out flow in race apps.

That bolt to factory manifolds.

We have c5r heads that do pretty well in racing situations.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
That bolt to factory manifolds.

We have c5r heads that do pretty well in racing situations.
C5r heads are great for NA builds but what about those who want to use nitrous or FI?

It should never be a requirement that Race heads need to bolt onto factory manifold (that would kill the flow anyways). ET had/has the right idea but they can't seem to deliver on a consistent basis and are still coming up short in the flow department compared to SBC/SBF stuff unless you go to their canted valve head that is 2x more expensive than a better flowing SBF/SBC head.

We have Plenty of street/strip heads we dont need more.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Teching In

I was not sure until my builder and good mate checked out the heads . He was very impressed and said yes straight away. We will see. They will make big hp!!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Teching In

6,000 for a canted valve is a big expensive for most.
I believe there is a strong advantage in the LS7 head over the LS1 head.
Of course you need a bottom end that needs that kind of head on top. Look how easy it if for damn near every cammed C6Z06 to make 540+ RWHP and then look at how hard it is to get a 408-427 with a catheral port to make 540+. There is a advantake to the LS7 port.
I highly doubt GM redesigned their head and intake completly if they felt a big runner catheral port would be the best fit for the new Z06.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Collections Hold

Default heads

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
Of course you need a bottom end that needs that kind of head on top. Look how easy it if for damn near every cammed C6Z06 to make 540+ RWHP and then look at how hard it is to get a 408-427 with a catheral port to make 540+. There is a advantake to the LS7 port.
I highly doubt GM redesigned their head and intake completly if they felt a big runner catheral port would be the best fit for the new Z06.

6000.00 for the canted valve heads is not out of line for what complete race heads cost, take a set of all pro heads and add ti vavles, 600.00 vavle springs, ti locks etc. and you will come real close to that price.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cary et performance
6000.00 for the canted valve heads is not out of line for what complete race heads cost, take a set of all pro heads and add ti vavles, 600.00 vavle springs, ti locks etc. and you will come real close to that price.
do the canted valve heads have ti valves?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeremyZ
there is nothing special about the LS7 port! it is a conventional rectangular SBC style port with a 12* valve angle. GM has simply gone back to what works.

The cathedral port was a cool experiment for a street car and makes great power. but even the c5r it cannot compete with other race heads for small block. that is what i am getting at there is no point to "better" gm's design it will make more power than 99% of the users eill ever need. Now someone has to do something for the other 1%. No reason a as-cast edelbrock $3000 for Victor Glidden or Kasse heads can go 400+ cfm out of the box and LS heads cant.

the canted calve is a great idea but unfortunately carries a huge weight penalty if it's even allowed in the class, and 6k is nothing for a good set of heads. My larry Meaux ported AFR's cost me close to 5k not incuding the valvetrain.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cary et performance
I am not saying it is over priced, just expensive for most. And its not just the head, if you have a combo that can benifit from a 6,000 dollar head you have a 20,000 dollar motor under your hood. Very few people can go that route. I never said it was out of line, just out of most peoples range.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Teching In

there is nothing special about the LS7 port! it is a conventional rectangular SBC style port with a 12* valve angle. GM has simply gone back to what works.

The cathedral port was a cool experiment for a street car and makes great power. but even the c5r it cannot compete with other race heads for small block. that is what i am getting at there is no point to "better" gm's design it will make more power than 99% of the users eill ever need. Now someone has to do something for the other 1%. No reason a as-cast edelbrock $3000 for Victor Glidden or Kasse heads can go 400+ cfm out of the box and LS heads cant.

the canted calve is a great idea but unfortunately carries a huge weight penalty if it's even allowed in the class, and 6k is nothing for a good set of heads. My larry Meaux ported AFR's cost me close to 5k not incuding the valvetrain.

Yeah you right there is nothing special about it, but it has more potential then what has been found out of cathedral ported LSx heads.
I have done a dozen or so sets of ETP heads, and have used the 215's-245's. In comparison the ETP LS7 4" bore head easily out flows the 245's and especially once the manifold is bolted on.
I thought the main point of this thread was if AFR was coming out with a LS7 style head, and assumed the thread started was asking for something similar to what ETP has. Also assumed he was sticking with a stock intake manifold. So when I made my post I was also taking into consideration a manifold on top of the head, and figured a ported Fast 92 vs. a stock GM LS7 or ported LS7 manifold. This is where the LS7 style head can make a lot more power because it flows much better through the manifold.

Quick Reply: Afr Ls7 Heads