Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Replacing main bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacing main bearings?

I am trying to picture this in my head. Under the jeep oil pan off I can remove all the main caps.

Question is I can replace the bottom bearing as it comes off with the main cap but can I get the top bearing out without removing the whole crank and install a new one?

For the crank to come out all of the pistons would have to have the caps removed (no big deal) but also would have to remove timing chain and transmission correct?

I am trying to get as much info on this before I even get started.

Thanks all.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
I am trying to picture this in my head. Under the jeep oil pan off I can remove all the main caps.

Question is I can replace the bottom bearing as it comes off with the main cap but can I get the top bearing out without removing the whole crank and install a new one?

For the crank to come out all of the pistons would have to have the caps removed (no big deal) but also would have to remove timing chain and transmission correct?

I am trying to get as much info on this before I even get started.

Thanks all.
The crank has to come out to get to the upper bearings.
Timing chain and tranny have to come off also. Hopefully that is what you mean.

Last edited by matai70; 08-25-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by matai70
The crank has to come out to get to the upper bearings.
Timing chain and tranny have to come off also. Hopefully that is what you mean.
Agreed.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Teching In

While never on an LSX motor, I have done this successfully on several other engines, including those with LSX style main caps. What you do is get a cotter pin and make sure it will fit into the oil hole in the crankshaft, then flatten the top ball end in a vise with a hammer. Set the cotter pin vertically in the vise with the bottom of the ball resting on the tops of the vise jaws. Once flattened it should form a nice T shape. You then slide this into the crankshaft oil hole and slowly rotate the crankshaft around until the flattened T contacts the upper main bearing on the side OPPOSITE the lock tab. Make sure the T is flat against the bearing and not any thicker the the bearing so you don't wedge it in there or damage the top half of the main bearing bore.
You will be surprised how easy it just rotates out of there. Insert the new bearing the same way in the reverse direction so the T of the cotter pin pushes on the lock tab side of the bearing and make sure that the lock tab engages properly and GO SLOW. You can probably rotate the new bearing in half way around before you even need the cotter pin in there. Good luck, let us know if it works.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Teching In

^^ Done the same thing. Works but like Erik said go slow. It is a little more difficult with the thrust bearing but it can be done.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thrust bearing was the hardest part but all in all fun project.

Quick Reply: Replacing main bearings?