Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

my 402 is almost finished, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Installing studs

Instead of taking the rockers and heads back off, just do 1 stud at a time. You can use an allen wrench to tighten them in the block, then pop the washer and nut on and torque away.

Good your going with the studs.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the rockers off anyways... The bolts came out, cleaned the threads with brake cleaner then blown out with compressed air, then put the studs in, red loctite thinly applied down the bolt.

and hand tight.. the washer flat side facing down on the head, torqued to 65ftlb, then 75 on 2nd pass... middle towards out sequence...
Old 09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

doooood, you put loctite on the studs?!

Did you read the directions from ARP? You're not supposed to use loctite on the head studs. Infact you're supposed to use the ARP molylube on both sides (a generous amount at that) and torque to 75 ftlbs. Also, if this is the first time torquing the studs, you're supposed to torque them, back them off, then torque them three times to beakin the threads, and make sure you're getting full clamping force.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Haans249
doooood, you put loctite on the studs?!

Did you read the directions from ARP? You're not supposed to use loctite on the head studs. Infact you're supposed to use the ARP molylube on both sides (a generous amount at that) and torque to 75 ftlbs. Also, if this is the first time torquing the studs, you're supposed to torque them, back them off, then torque them three times to beakin the threads, and make sure you're getting full clamping force.
i read the instructions.

ediT: I dont think there will be a problem, and its a brand new motor with no heat cycle yet, so I think im fine

Last edited by LSGunZ28; 09-13-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
i read the instructions.

ediT: I dont think there will be a problem, and its a brand new motor with no heat cycle yet, so I think im fine
I'm pretty sure it says right on the instructions to use the moly-lube or 10w30 weight motor oil on the studs (i don't have the instructions handy at the moment). They're going to be stuck in the block now, and a simple allen wrench may not be able to get them out. I had a stud get stuck in the block, and I had to use a stud remover, cause an allen wrench just broke, and the two nut trick didn't work. Trashed the stud and had to get a replacement.

Also, its a good thing you don't have any heat cycles yet. The studs need to be retorqued several times to break in the threads. If that is not done, then you're running the risk of the studs not being torqued down fully, and getting a complete clamping force.

Lastly, make sure you re-torque the heads after a few heat cycles, preferably after a full nights cool down, the studs may loosen up on you.....don't ask me how I know...
Old 09-13-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I would say that locktite was a big mistake to. Will pyobalby never be able to get the heads off without taking the heater box out, or pulling the motor. Reason I say that is that you have to take out a couple of studs on the passenger side head closest to the firewall for the heads to come off the motor...at least that was my experience.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Yeah I would say that locktite was a big mistake to. Will pyobalby never be able to get the heads off without taking the heater box out, or pulling the motor. Reason I say that is that you have to take out a couple of studs on the passenger side head closest to the firewall for the heads to come off the motor...at least that was my experience.

Not at all, I just recently took my heads off and put them back on with all of the studs installed. The only problem that I can forsee is when someone wants to clean the deck of the block, it makes life a lot easier to be able to remove the studs. Otherwise, it really shouldn't be a problem unless for some reason the studs need to be removed.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah I've heard of alot of people taking heads of while in the car, but in my case it was just easier to to unscrew a few studs and pull them through the top of the head. This is with a ls2 block, don't know if that makes any difference or not?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

I'm pretty sure it says right on the instructions to use the moly-lube or 10w30 weight motor oil on the studs (i don't have the instructions handy at the moment). They're going to be stuck in the block now, and a simple allen wrench may not be able to get them out. I had a stud get stuck in the block, and I had to use a stud remover, cause an allen wrench just broke, and the two nut trick didn't work. Trashed the stud and had to get a replacement.

Also, its a good thing you don't have any heat cycles yet. The studs need to be retorqued several times to break in the threads. If that is not done, then you're running the risk of the studs not being torqued down fully, and getting a complete clamping force.

Lastly, make sure you re-torque the heads after a few heat cycles, preferably after a full nights cool down, the studs may loosen up on you.....don't ask me how I know...

so should I retorque them now? or after a few heat cycles?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

If you have only torqued them once, then you need to re-torque them two more times, in the same sequence as usual, this will break-in the threads.

Once you have run the vehicle, a few heat cycles (preferrably one), you then need to go back and retorque ONE more time after a heat cycle to insure that the studs stayed in place once everything warmed up and cooled down.

Trust me, I understand this is a COMPLETE pain in the *** because you have to pull off the valvecovers/rockers, and drop the headers (dont' worry about the top 5 studs so the intake can stay on...), but trust me, please do this. This will guarantee that the studs have seated properly, and that your gaskets have sealed up completely. Otherwise you run the risk of coolant in the oil and trashing your bearings.

When you re-torque, just back the nut off, and then return it to full torque, in the torque sequence.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

If you have only torqued them once, then you need to re-torque them two more times, in the same sequence as usual, this will break-in the threads.

Once you have run the vehicle, a few heat cycles (preferrably one), you then need to go back and retorque ONE more time after a heat cycle to insure that the studs stayed in place once everything warmed up and cooled down.

Trust me, I understand this is a COMPLETE pain in the *** because you have to pull off the valvecovers/rockers, and drop the headers (dont' worry about the top 5 studs so the intake can stay on...), but trust me, please do this. This will guarantee that the studs have seated properly, and that your gaskets have sealed up completely. Otherwise you run the risk of coolant in the oil and trashing your bearings.

When you re-torque, just back the nut off, and then return it to full torque, in the torque sequence.
so when I torque it, back the nut off, then re torque it right?

because I went over the torque 2 times alreayd, but never backed off the nut.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yea, you have to back the nut off, and then torque it back to spec. Do that twice, then you're good.

Once you have one or a few heat cycles, do one more re-torque, and you're done. Just keep an eye on the coolant and make sure it isn't disappearing.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

It says nothing in the ARP instructions to retque the nuts btw, but it mentions to not put red loctite, unless i want to take the studs back out one day, but from what I understand it says to torque the nuts on the studs then remove, apply loctite , then torque with the loctite (thats what I understood)
Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

It does not say anywhere in the instructions to use loctite, so maybe you meant the lube. You're supposed to use the lube on the studs as they go in the block AND on the nut when it goes on the stud, and torque to 75ftlbs.

As far as the re-torquing, yes, you need to torque the nut on the stud, like the instructions say, but do it three times to ensure a total breakin of the threads (most engine builders do this). You can do this now before you start-up by just backing off one nut at a time and retorquing.

After a heat cycle, you must retorque the heads one last time to make sure that none of them backed off. If you don't want to do this part, thats up to you if you want to risk it, but I'm just informing you on how its supposed to be done. You can either do it right, or you can do it half-right; of course thats up to you.

I will tell you though, that after running a few heat cycles, I had to retorque, and some of the nuts/studs did back off slightly, so you have a very high chance of it happening. Whether it happens for you at 1 mile or 8k miles is unknown.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

It does not say anywhere in the instructions to use loctite, so maybe you meant the lube. You're supposed to use the lube on the studs as they go in the block AND on the nut when it goes on the stud, and torque to 75ftlbs.

As far as the re-torquing, yes, you need to torque the nut on the stud, like the instructions say, but do it three times to ensure a total breakin of the threads (most engine builders do this). You can do this now before you start-up by just backing off one nut at a time and retorquing.

After a heat cycle, you must retorque the heads one last time to make sure that none of them backed off. If you don't want to do this part, thats up to you if you want to risk it, but I'm just informing you on how its supposed to be done. You can either do it right, or you can do it half-right; of course thats up to you.

I will tell you though, that after running a few heat cycles, I had to retorque, and some of the nuts/studs did back off slightly, so you have a very high chance of it happening. Whether it happens for you at 1 mile or 8k miles is unknown.
it says loctite is ok to use, if you plan on not taking the studs off.... It says to use RP moly lube or oil at the end, but in the middle area(I think) it explains how if you will use loctite, you should use it after the first torquing( I think thats what it means, its not in those exact words)

Im not saying what you are saying is wrong, im just mentioning that it didnt say so in teh instructions...
Old 09-16-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Not a problem! Just emphasizing the need for re-torquing of the studs after a few heat cycles, it is crucial even though it doesn't say it in the instructions, it needs to be done.

Let us know when you fire her up!!
Adrian
Old 09-17-2008, 04:19 AM
11 Second Club

Not a problem! Just emphasizing the need for re-torquing of the studs after a few heat cycles, it is crucial even though it doesn't say it in the instructions, it needs to be done.

Let us know when you fire her up!!
Adrian
Also I noticed why you are emphasizing this "re torquing" because I just read your thread about coolant and oil mixing...
Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

On a side note, what cam do you have?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Exactly! I'm just trying to help other not have the problems I did
Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Apollo0526
On a side note, what cam do you have?
TR
238/244 113 +2 LSA .613 lifts

Quick Reply: my 402 is almost finished, any advice?