Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Not running as powerful...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS2 Not running as powerful...

I have a 2008 Trailblazer SS 2WD: K&N CAI, 160* tstat, mds wires, tr6 plugs and a shiftkit. Bone stock i ran a 13.9 at 98 with a 2.1 60 ft in 55* weather. I took the truck to the track yesterday and ran a 14.7 at 94 with a 2.2 60ft in 95* weather. I wanna know what the hell is going on. Plugs are gapped to around 30/35. A times between 4k-5k rpm it feels like i dont have as much power as before. then at around 5k it pulls a little more. I know a tune would help BIG TIME cuz it seems as if the ECM is limiting power. ECM might be reading the IAT and TPS and Trans Temp and limits power near highest torque and limits power... who knows!

I need your input! Thanks!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luigiandme
I have a 2008 Trailblazer SS 2WD: K&N CAI, 160* tstat, mds wires, tr6 plugs and a shiftkit. Bone stock i ran a 13.9 at 98 with a 2.1 60 ft in 55* weather. I took the truck to the track yesterday and ran a 14.7 at 94 with a 2.2 60ft in 95* weather. I wanna know what the hell is going on. Plugs are gapped to around 30/35. A times between 4k-5k rpm it feels like i dont have as much power as before. then at around 5k it pulls a little more. I know a tune would help BIG TIME cuz it seems as if the ECM is limiting power. ECM might be reading the IAT and TPS and Trans Temp and limits power near highest torque and limits power... who knows!

I need your input! Thanks!
You answered your own question. As the increase in IAT's was fairly dramatic, the computer has to make the engine run safely as configured with factory programming.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
You answered your own question. As the increase in IAT's was fairly dramatic, the computer has to make the engine run safely as configured with factory programming.
I pretty much did but I would have never imagined that it would change that much! I'm going to go back to my old plugs and get an oil change that I should have gotten 3k miles ago.. we'll see.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a scan tool to log data? The TB SS is very sensitive to intake track changes. A CAI absolutely needs a tune to go with it. As mentioned above the LS2 has very aggressive IAT and ECT spark reduction values as the temperatures increase. It will reduce spark as much as 8 degrees in some cases. A tune can reduce the values in these tables so it's less sensitive to heatsoak.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Do you have a scan tool to log data? The TB SS is very sensitive to intake track changes. A CAI absolutely needs a tune to go with it. As mentioned above the LS2 has very aggressive IAT and ECT spark reduction values as the temperatures increase. It will reduce spark as much as 8 degrees in some cases. A tune can reduce the values in these tables so it's less sensitive to heatsoak.
That was the info I wanted to hear! I was always thinking about the stock tune taking timing away from me or taking some power away. I thought it was my tranny slipping but you just answered my question!

I have a tech 2 and ill scan it with that! Ill see what happens and update! A tune is for sure the next mod! Thanks a lot. Anymore info would help too.

Quick Reply: LS2 Not running as powerful...