Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil smoking after catch can HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil smoking after catch can HELP

Having a small annoying prob with my 427, it has about 7 to 8k on it, an runs strong as hell. I have added the rev xtreme catch can and it goes to the LS7 valley to the catch can to intake. I have a breather on the rear of the drivers side valve cover and one on the oil fill tube as well. I dont seem to be getting alot of oil pass the catch can but still getting some. Car has great compression numbers

cyl 1 184 cyl 2 186
cyl 3 190 cyl 4 186
cyl 5 192 cyl 6 188
cyl 7 185 cyl 8 187

adding oil didnt seem to make any noticable change I have seen a bit of oil on the threads of my plugs but dont seem to know where its coming from. I have taken off the intake after installing the catch can and theres still quite a bit of oil around the intake ports when I removed the intake. This is the day after I have removed it to clean it. I took it off the next day to have a look see and sure enough there was oil round the ports again and I had hardly driven it. Heads are LS7 an I installed the valve stem seals myself, I think I did it right but maybe not. I used a socket that matched up well and made sure they sat flush on the guide, the heads and seals have 3k on em. I love the way my car is running, just dont like the embaressment of leaving a smoke trail when under WOT, which seems to be the only time it does it. Doesnt seem to burn oil at all, any other times idle, reving, a little on decel but not much.. Thoughts on this would be great cause I am at a total loss if it were the engine I would expect the compression to be off a little or adding oil to make a difference if it were the rings.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a catch can and took it off because I had the same problem. Cap everything and use a breather in each valve cover. My car doesn't get oil in the intake now and I don't burn oil. Some will say that you need vacuum for the PCV to evacuate contaminates-- I say no. The little bit of vacuum the motor makes for PCV does practically nothing and causes more problems then it's worth.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bandit1
Having a small annoying prob with my 427, it has about 7 to 8k on it, an runs strong as hell. I have added the rev xtreme catch can and it goes to the LS7 valley to the catch can to intake. I have a breather on the rear of the drivers side valve cover and one on the oil fill tube as well. I dont seem to be getting alot of oil pass the catch can but still getting some. Car has great compression numbers

cyl 1 184 cyl 2 186
cyl 3 190 cyl 4 186
cyl 5 192 cyl 6 188
cyl 7 185 cyl 8 187

adding oil didnt seem to make any noticable change I have seen a bit of oil on the threads of my plugs but dont seem to know where its coming from. I have taken off the intake after installing the catch can and theres still quite a bit of oil around the intake ports when I removed the intake. This is the day after I have removed it to clean it. I took it off the next day to have a look see and sure enough there was oil round the ports again and I had hardly driven it. Heads are LS7 an I installed the valve stem seals myself, I think I did it right but maybe not. I used a socket that matched up well and made sure they sat flush on the guide, the heads and seals have 3k on em. I love the way my car is running, just dont like the embaressment of leaving a smoke trail when under WOT, which seems to be the only time it does it. Doesnt seem to burn oil at all, any other times idle, reving, a little on decel but not much.. Thoughts on this would be great cause I am at a total loss if it were the engine I would expect the compression to be off a little or adding oil to make a difference if it were the rings.
You may have an issue with oil coming into the intake ports from the vally side if the seals are not working properly. Call me to walk through your install in detail.

Originally Posted by Jontall
I had a catch can and took it off because I had the same problem. Cap everything and use a breather in each valve cover. My car doesn't get oil in the intake now and I don't burn oil. Some will say that you need vacuum for the PCV to evacuate contaminates-- I say no. The little bit of vacuum the motor makes for PCV does practically nothing and causes more problems then it's worth.
With all due respect, do as you want with your own car but DON'T encourage someone else to damage their motor. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

will do thanks alot boss you guys are awesome as always I will call ya in the morning
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like its drawing oil through the intake manifold. I would run no PCV valve and let it breathe to atmosphere on both rocker covers, clean the manifold and see how it goes then, bet it wont smoke.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hymey
sounds like its drawing oil through the intake manifold. I would run no PCV valve and let it breathe to atmosphere on both rocker covers, clean the manifold and see how it goes then, bet it wont smoke.
This is what I do and it works great... Too many people think they a need PCV and that's crazy. If breathers (no PCV) are good enough for NASCAR, there good enough for me.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hymey
Originally Posted by Jontall
This is what I do and it works great... Too many people think they a need PCV and that's crazy. If breathers (no PCV) are good enough for NASCAR, there good enough for me.

A properly modded system will eliminate all ingestion if there is not another problem. And as stated, if you want the long term damage to your own motor do it your way....but to advise another member to damage their motor is irresponsible.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Wasn't the PCV system originally made for smog reasons? I know a very well know engine builder here in So Cal and he told me to just use breathers on the Valve covers and that I wouldn't need anything else. I am using an LS2 PCV system w/ breathers on my car and am not using up much oil if any at all. I havn't taken off my intake and looked though...
Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

well after talking in length with Tracy, great guy and very smart, he and I have come to the conclusion that its my valve stem seals which ive kinda been thinking as well Im going to be changing them this fri and will report back
Old 10-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Wasn't the PCV system originally made for smog reasons? I know a very well know engine builder here in So Cal and he told me to just use breathers on the Valve covers and that I wouldn't need anything else. I am using an LS2 PCV system w/ breathers on my car and am not using up much oil if any at all. I havn't taken off my intake and looked though...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=revxtreme

Read this thread from the beginning....the first few pages will explain all on the history of the crankcase ventalation from early years to present and what all is accomplished. The emissions side of the PCV system is from the last 25 years or so to meet EPA guidlines, but the main purpose is to positively (under vacume with a filtered fresh make-up air source) ventilate & evacuate the harmful combustion byproducts (one of which is sulferic acid), moisture, and unburnt fuel from the crankcase so they do not contaminate your oil when the motor cools down & the "flashed off" gasses recondense.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

You list that you had the heads ported, were they done by hand?

My AllPro heads were over ported and had broken into the spring pockets on the intake side. In 2 of the runners I was drawing oil in from there, through pin holes. Those intake runners were perfectly clean, not lightly browned and dry like the other 6. It pulled oil into the intake.

Just one more thing to look for.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

thanks Rampant I have sold the ported ones I had and have just stockers on right now. I am having some done for me by RPM and will have them soon. I changed the valve stem seals today and noticed that I had a few that looked screwed up so hopefully that settles that
Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

^^ You've had some time. Any report if that fixed the oil injestion problem or not?
Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

new seals did the trick
Old 11-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Teching In

What kind of seals did you use? I'm having the same problem with factory viton seals. I also know that a lot of people install their rocker arms without sealant on the threads. This causes oil to leak down the rocker bolt into the intake port on the heads... definitely no bueno. My engine builder says he used sealant but I still saw oil in the runners from that hole when the heads were off. I'm going to use a good RTV silicone sealant next time.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

take out each rocker and use teflon tape on the bolts works like a charm with the LS7 heads I no longer have to worry bout this thank god. But it did the trick on my old heads. I am using the factory high temp exhaust seals on both the exhaust and intake.

Quick Reply: oil smoking after catch can HELP