Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Timing chain misalignment

Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Timing chain misalignment

I am installing a Rollmaster double row timing set to my Aussie delivered L98(LS2/L92 heads)

The sprockets have a misalignment of 0.035". The cam sprocket is closest to the block and needs to be shimmed out.

This is not an option...As the distance between the end of the cam and the retainer plate is 4.0mm. The distance between the base of the cam sprocket and the torrington bearing is 3.8mm giving it 0.2mm clearance. So Rollmaster have done there homework. I cannot shim the bearing as it will place excessive thrust on the retainer plate.

The simplest and most effective way to align them is to shim or surface grind the crank sprocket. In my case I need to grind off 35thou, this will be a problem though as clearance is already tight with the chain fitted. It is very close to the crank/block as it is and I maybe able to m/c 20 thou at the most safely.

Is 35 thou excessive? Anyone else had these issues. It is obvious that the guys have tried to make the gears as close to the block as possible but in doing so has caused alignment issues.

Just as a double check I removed the timing set. Checked for burrs etc then fitted the stock single row gears and alignment was perfect. So I have ruled out any issues with cam/crank.

I then refitted the bottom gear making sure it was well and truly home. Checking alignment again with it still out 35thou.

Any suggestions???

Joel
Old 10-04-2008, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have seen this before on the Rollmaster and JP sets you might look at the Cloyes LS sets as they will fit correctly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing chain misalignment