Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L83 5.3 Fuel system. Use fuel pump control module or don’t

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Nef
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L83 5.3 Fuel system. Use fuel pump control module or don’t

im currently doing a l83 swap on my 98 truck and want to figure out befor I do the first start what would be easiest for the fuel system. Using the fuel pump power module (I have the fppm and fuel pump from the l83 truck even the fuel tank). I have the current performance stand alone harness and is wired for a regular fuel pump. If it’s easier Any suggestions on fuel pump. Or easier with fppm how would I wire that to the harness I have all the wire for that
Old 05-20-2018, 08:17 PM
Teching In

I am in the middle of doing this same swap into my 74' C10 and what we are doing is uaing a Walbro in tank pump to regulator and then return line back tontank. As long as you can supply 73 psi as rwqurequ you should be ok.

That being said we are a ways off from 1st start. In the middle of AFM/DOD delete and cam swap etc.. and we still have to finish up the wiring.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:22 AM
Nef
Teching In

Would it be easier to use the fuel pump from the l83 truck? And on the regulator the return from that goes to the take you still use the factory returnless style fuel rails on the motor?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The GM ECM requires the fuel pump control module and low-pressure fuel sensor to correctly control the engine. It will run and drive with a non-PWM pump system, but it will have poor idle, poor startup, and performance will suffer.

They run fine on a dyno with a non-pwm pump system, but in the real world, not so much. GM highly recommends running the PWM system, and that is what I have done on all of my LT swaps (1 LT, 2 L83s)

That said, a lot of the harness makers are not including all of the wiring to install the PWM system, so be careful.
The following 2 users liked this post by 71buickfreak:
Bryan McCall (09-08-2019), NoRotor88 (09-19-2019)
Old 05-22-2018, 05:37 PM
Nef
Teching In

You don’t know how I could wire all that in? I have all the wiring and controller and fuel pressure sensor
Old 05-23-2018, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am working on figuring that out right now. This has been a struggle with a number of the aftermarket harness companies. I can get you the pinouts for the Chevrolet performance wiring harness.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Teching In

I have finished 2 l83 swaps in square bodies and used the walbro 255 with no issues. Pump comes on with the ignition. So far i habe about 4k miles with no problems.

In my opinion the pwm fuel system is not worth the time and effort to get functioning properly.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by evldoer
I have finished 2 l83 swaps in square bodies and used the walbro 255 with no issues. Pump comes on with the ignition. So far i habe about 4k miles with no problems.

In my opinion the pwm fuel system is not worth the time and effort to get functioning properly.
what regulator did you use and what psi
Old 09-15-2019, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anyone know the OEM part number for the LT4 PWM controller?
And while we are at it the fuel pressure sensor part number?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:33 PM
Teching In

my recommendation is to not use the fpcm; save the money and additional wiring.

It's your choice, you can set the ECM to control a relay that runs a standard Fuel Pump and a regulator just like an LS Swap. a 255 LPH is plenty on the L83 5.3; 300 LPH on the L86 and LT1 6.2 Liter Engines. For all setups i recommend that a manually adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator (0-100 PSI) is used and the pressure is set at around 63-75 PSI. Never has an engine starved for fuel with this setup.

As long as the engine gets between 60 and 75 PSI everything will be fine.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:44 PM
Teching In

I just completed my swap, 2017 gen V LT1 into 1988 Camaro. I used the PWM controller. The harness I used was from Speartech and they wired in the controller and a wire for the sensor. I found that setting the system up was quite easy. One issue I ran into was that if I turned the key on without starting the engine, the pump would run for a second or so then shut off, all normal. Pressure on the line was about 60psi. If I turned the key off and turned it on again, the pump would run again but now the pressure was approaching 100psi. If I start the engine, the pressures all go back to normal. I was concerned about the high pressure so I contacted the pump manufacturer, Aeromotive, and they suggested adding a 1/32 bleed in the fuel line. I did that and all is well.

More info from my Third Gen post here: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...1-install.html
Old 08-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 71buickfreak
The GM ECM requires the fuel pump control module and low-pressure fuel sensor to correctly control the engine. It will run and drive with a non-PWM pump system, but it will have poor idle, poor startup, and performance will suffer.

They run fine on a dyno with a non-pwm pump system, but in the real world, not so much. GM highly recommends running the PWM system, and that is what I have done on all of my LT swaps (1 LT, 2 L83s)

That said, a lot of the harness makers are not including all of the wiring to install the PWM system, so be careful.
So do you know which harness makers do include the wiring for a PWM system? I'm putting an L83 in my 37 Chev PU. I've looked at Spearthech as I don't have enough room in the engine compartment for the ECM to be on the left fender.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Lot of mis information here. Most harness guys including myself do not use the pwm system. Please show proof of saying these swaps will not run correct. Like show actual data not just this is what I heard. I went as far as running both systems in my supercharged C10. There was zero difference of any kind! I use a factory lt4 pwm fuel pump with its GM pwm controller in a Boyds welding tank. It runs and idled great. I then switched to a aeromotive pump regulated at 58 psi.
IT start up the sameIt idled the same with the same fuel trims.
It ran exactly the same.
I used hptuners and data logged everything. I did this 3 years ago when no one really had an answer on the fuel systems.
I have run an ls fuel system on my daily for 3 years. Still waiting for an issue. I pull our camper up mountains and camp in the desert. It has gone everywhere. The pwm system is great but I only use it when I can fit a oem gm fuel pump assembly in a swap. The fuel pumps have a bypass bullt it set to in 74 psi. If you don't use a bypass with an aftermarket pump it will spike to over a 100 psi and fail. Trust me I know and learn from my mistakes.
I do have an option for the pwm system but for most installers it very expensive and complicated to install the oem gm fuel pumps in vintage cars with the necessary low pressure fuel sensor.
Old 12-24-2021, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TigerTruck
I just completed my swap, 2017 gen V LT1 into 1988 Camaro. I used the PWM controller. The harness I used was from Speartech and they wired in the controller and a wire for the sensor. I found that setting the system up was quite easy. One issue I ran into was that if I turned the key on without starting the engine, the pump would run for a second or so then shut off, all normal. Pressure on the line was about 60psi. If I turned the key off and turned it on again, the pump would run again but now the pressure was approaching 100psi. If I start the engine, the pressures all go back to normal. I was concerned about the high pressure so I contacted the pump manufacturer, Aeromotive, and they suggested adding a 1/32 bleed in the fuel line. I did that and all is well.

More info from my Third Gen post here: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...1-install.html
This is because the controller is not super accurate. The gm oem fuel pump should be used with GM pwm system. It has a built in bypass so it can not go over 74 psi. With a compete oem pwm fuel system installed it will function perfect

Quick Reply: L83 5.3 Fuel system. Use fuel pump control module or don’t