Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I screw up or buy Junk parts, Auction site Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did I screw up or buy Junk parts, Auction site Throttle Body

I know some guys get by with these but it seemed to be a problem from every front.to me. Typical cheap throttle body from the bay, Since I could not imagine it not being something I could work with I give it a try. A lot of guys say use oem sensors so I soeant the money to by AC Delco TPS and IAC motor In my case the shaft that comes out of the throttle body and into the tps was just a bit too big to be a nice slip fit like a GM one would of been. I worked diligently a little at a time to work it onto the shaft backing off to clear the shavines in the TPS each time. Stopped to break all the shafp corners on the shaft and even used a tiny bit of antiseize to make it have every chance possible and finally got it on there but not yet completely seated since the throttle body came with no screws to retain the sensors. What a pain in the ash. I switched to installing the new IAC motor, once again no screws but just wanted to test the fit and dammint all, the throttle body is machines to a .7525 and the sensor measures at .7575 so there is a .005 interference. I started to use a small die grinder and thought I would pull the TPS back off while doing this and despite my best effort it was stuck so tight on the shaft it pulled the guts right out of my new AC Delco $32 sensor. So now I am pissed. Shaft it too big and it will not fit in the TPS and the pocket is too small for the IAC to fit in it either. I have measured everything in both instances carefully and in the end it it looks like the throttle body maker is machining to a theoretical dimension and not allowing for any production tolerances or doing any diligence to see if the related parts will fit on it. Learned my lesson on throttle bodies. !! Trying to decide what to do next. I am sure as hell not gonna grind on my $90 IAC. I can send the Tb back to amazon seller. I feel guilty but if it will not accommodate oem sensor and IAC motor them it is just and they are ultimately responsible for what they are selling. What would you guys buy next to replace it.
I bought the sensors for a 2000 camaro ls1 ??

Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Get some oem used sensors, I know those are ac Delco but they are still Chinese ****. I had the exact same issues. The tps once it was on if you took it off it would fall apart. I got some used sensors of a truck throttle body and they fit perfect and don't fall apart. My throttle body is a eBay special 92mm FYI. Oh and locktite the throttle blade screws or they will get loose and the throttle will get stuck open at 3/4 throttle, ya try that in a 700hp turbo car talk about scary as hell.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Get some oem used sensors, I know those are ac Delco but they are still Chinese ****. I had the exact same issues. The tps once it was on if you took it off it would fall apart. I got some used sensors of a truck throttle body and they fit perfect and don't fall apart. My throttle body is a eBay special 92mm FYI. Oh and locktite the throttle blade screws or they will get loose and the throttle will get stuck open at 3/4 throttle, ya try that in a 700hp turbo car talk about scary as hell.
I was warned about leaking air and hard to tune issues, Have you seen any of this ??