Generation V External Engine LT1 Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improved Racing CCS Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2022, 07:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Improved Racing CCS Oil Catch Can

Hey guys,

Improved Racing has developed a new oil catch can we are calling the CCS (Catch Can, Sport). We are launching with a kit for the C8, with specific kits for other LT and LS powered vehicles coming very soon.

You can save by pre-ordering now. Pre-orders will ship on December 16th and the pre-order discount is valid until they ship.

Save $142 by pre-ordering the universal catch can launch edition package. The can is available in two reservoir sizes, with or without a drain port. Click here to see this deal.

Or save $50 instantly on the C8 kit by pre-ordering.

Here's the C8 kit installed:

This catch can is something we have actually been working on for several years. We've done a ton of bench testing, simulations, real-world testing, and finally a 9-month beta test program with customers. I'm really happy with how it turned out and I'm excited to share it with you guys.

A few quick highlights:
  • Quick-turn, easy to service reservoir.
  • 85-90% filtering efficiency of crankcase vapors.
  • Washable 316 stainless steel filter.
  • Flexible mounting bracket system with 16 positions.
  • -6 ORB inlet and outlet ports.
  • C8 kit includes custom mounting bracket and OEM style quick connect lines. We have a full range of quick-connect fittings for your own custom setup.

Why Add a Catch Can to the LT Engine?

While developing this catch can, I decided to try it out on our C8 shop car, hoping it would trap next to nothing. Since the LT2 is a direct injected engine, I was really hoping that GM had implemented some provisions to keep oil out of the intake manifold.

I've been testing prototypes of this kit on our shop C8 for the past 10 months. Unfortunately, it trapped quite a lot of fluid, around 32 ml (over 1 fl oz) every 3,000 miles with casual street driving, and a lot more on the track. Not as much as some engines, but still too much.

For reference, here is what that looks like. After 3,000 miles of street driving:

And this is after about 250 miles of street driving:

As most of you know, direct injection engines are prone to carbon buildup on the backs of the valves because there is no fuel to clean the intake port walls and valves. While this won't destroy your engine or anything, it will affect performance over time, and require cleaning. So with a direct injected engine, you want to keep the intake air as clean as possible, and a catch can is a great help.

Please note, I'm not trying to spark a big debate over whether catch cans are necessary or not. To be clear, they are not necessary in most cases. But they will definitely keep your engine cleaner, improve long-term performance, and even slightly increase the octane level of the air-fuel mixture. Also note they are more beneficial for track cars and modified engines, and sometimes necessary because oil is more likely to make it into the intake at high RPM's and high G-forces. I have seen large amounts of oil get burped into the intake manifold all at once at the track.

We have gone through great lengths to ensure our catch can performs exceptionally well without any negative side effects, so there is no harm in adding one. In testing we found some catch cans out there are too restrictive and will increase crankcase pressure significantly. We made sure our catch can does not add any meaningful restriction and that the PCV system still operates as it should.

For more technical details about the can's design, click here to visit our website.

I will leave you with some more detailed photos. We will have some more videos coming soon as well. If anyone has any questions, let me know!

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube
The following users liked this post:
Double06 (01-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Improved Racing CCS Oil Catch Can