Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

A comprehensive look at the direct-injected heart of the 2014 Corvette [GMHTP]

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslinger09
I am wondering why they are only showing 20 HP over the Ls3 after all the expense of development? The torque is nice but I would have expected 500 HP plus out of this motor. The new locked ECM is going to suck because even though DI is great for boost you won't be able to tune for it.
easy, they make more than 20 more except they are waiting til SAE testing is finished up and will probably give a more accurate power figure at the Detroit Auto Show. they did they same exact thing with the LSA and LS9. come on now
Old 11-04-2012, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

I think I was right next to you while you were taking these pictures. I got a chance to talk to one of the engineers and boy this engine is technical.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All accessories on one side? Looks like a good spot for a centri supercharger.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm excited about the possibilities from GM naming this new engine the LT1. The engine is high tech and trick yet very under-stressed.

The LT1 has never been a name that really cast fear into the hearts of the competition, this is the base performance V8 street car engine.

That leaves room for variants such as a Gen 5 LS7, LS9 or ZR1 - names that do command respect. A 427 version with direct injection, variable valve timing, titanium rods and more breathing will be really something.

Add on a pair of remote (to get the heat out of the engine bay and allow better plumbing to reduce back pressure and pressure drop) mounted low boost turbos and you'd have a very clean burning monster that will out perform the current ZR1 everywhere yet achieve incredible mpg at cruise. With no parasitic power loss off the crank a high compression/low boost set up could easily achieve mid 30's mpg highway yet make 800hp and pass emissions. Yee Haa!!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm excited about the possibilities from GM naming this new engine the LT1. The engine is high tech and trick yet very under-stressed.

The LT1 has never been a name that really cast fear into the hearts of the competition, this is the base performance V8 street car engine.

That leaves room for variants such as a Gen 5 LS7, LS9 or ZR1 - names that do command respect. A 427 version with direct injection, variable valve timing, titanium rods and more breathing will be really something.

Add on a pair of remote (to get the heat out of the engine bay and allow better plumbing to reduce back pressure and pressure drop) mounted low boost turbos and you'd have a very clean burning monster that will out perform the current ZR1 everywhere yet achieve incredible mpg at cruise. With no parasitic power loss off the crank a high compression/low boost set up could easily achieve mid 30's mpg highway yet make 800hp and pass emissions. Add water injection to reduce Nox and allow better timing.... Yee Haa!!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

I'm glad to see GM decided to go with DI on its flagship hotrod engine. If the power gains from port injection to DI on a gas motor, are anything similar to the gains the diesels seen by going from IDI to DI, it will be an epic improvement.

Also glad to see a splayed valve arrangement as well, valve shrouding becomes less and less the higher the valve goes.

I just don't understand why they chose to run a presumable diaphragm style high pressure pump off the cam lobe instead of a rotary style pump like the cp3 and cp4 that the current HPCR diesels are running.

At any rate, DI, and splayed valve angles, along with the jump in compression is a major step forward. I wouldn't be surprised if these things arent making 450hp to the tire.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
I'm glad to see GM decided to go with DI on its flagship hotrod engine. If the power gains from port injection to DI on a gas motor, are anything similar to the gains the diesels seen by going from IDI to DI, it will be an epic improvement.

Also glad to see a splayed valve arrangement as well, valve shrouding becomes less and less the higher the valve goes.

I just don't understand why they chose to run a presumable diaphragm style high pressure pump off the cam lobe instead of a rotary style pump like the cp3 and cp4 that the current HPCR diesels are running.

At any rate, DI, and splayed valve angles, along with the jump in compression is a major step forward. I wouldn't be surprised if these things arent making 450hp to the tire.
again, 450 IS NOT the official output.

they probably went with the diaphragm version because the rotary is HUGE as welll as heavy.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I wouldnt be surprised to see the lt4 and lt5 names come back out as more powerful version of the motor is made.

Does the new lt1 have the same motor mount provisions for gen3/4 mounts? Wondering how it would fit into other cars.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Redbull87
I wouldnt be surprised to see the lt4 and lt5 names come back out as more powerful version of the motor is made.

Does the new lt1 have the same motor mount provisions for gen3/4 mounts? Wondering how it would fit into other cars.
over the life of this engine, i would bet we get LT1-9
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bazman

Add on a pair of remote (to get the heat out of the engine bay and allow better plumbing to reduce back pressure and pressure drop) mounted low boost turbos and you'd have a very clean burning monster that will out perform the current ZR1 everywhere yet achieve incredible mpg at cruise. With no parasitic power loss off the crank a high compression/low boost set up could easily achieve mid 30's mpg highway yet make 800hp and pass emissions. Add water injection to reduce Nox and allow better timing.... Yee Haa!!
There will be no Gen V LS motors
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Justin@GMHTP
If the engine was smaller, say 5.5-liters as many had hypothesized, AFM would run at 2.25-liters, which likely would have been difficult to maintain in many driving situations.
2.25 you say?
2.75 I say.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes, 2.75 is correct. Nice catch!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

There will be a similar learning/cost curve as there was going from early 90s LT1s to LS1s. It will be a similar shape, anyhow. I bet the curve and time will be twice as long and steep...unless GM sells PCM software. It's not out of the question...
Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

I am very excited for this engine, and cannot wait to get my hands on one.

I only have one concern that I've seen in the past with direct injection. With the fuel being introduced at the beginning of the intake chamber on the head in traditional fuel injection, the fuel would act as a cleaning agent and keep the intake chambers clean.

With direct injection, fuel bypasses the intake chamber of the head. Intake valves are one of my biggest concerns with serious build up over time. Has GM seen this issue on the V6? I don't have much experience outside of the LS1-7, or Ford 4.6, 5.4, but its a problem I've seen talking to people I know who deal with it directly.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Intake port & valve gunk buildup is mostly due to atomized fuel being in the intake charge. Moving to DI allows the intake tract to only convey air.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks Paul! That helps with a couple of the rumors I've heard floating around.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Intake port & valve gunk buildup is mostly due to atomized fuel being in the intake charge. Moving to DI allows the intake tract to only convey air.
Some DI engines have had issues with the PCV systems. The atomized oil has been collecting on the back of th intake valve. Perhaps this new PCV systems is there to combat this.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
No.

An intake charge contaminated with engine oil builds carbon on valves. With the direct injection being implemented and thus no fuel detergents contacting the valves, GM had to radically alter our familiar PCV setup. The result is the new style valve covers.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

That makes sense-also. I do know using cheep gas builds up more junk on the valves.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice stuff, love how Gm has managed to keep the single cam dual valve V8 engines alive and kicking dual overhead cam 4 valve engines buds let and right.

I for one have no anxiety about the new 6.2 litters LT1 nor will go back to the future with the new stuff.

I'm happy with my 440 CI lsx block ls7 simple and easy to work on, making 740 crankshaft HP N-A on E85 which burs clean and don't stink as gasoline does, in my street car.

Quick Reply: A comprehensive look at the direct-injected heart of the 2014 Corvette [GMHTP]