Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

Direct Injection = Carbon Buildup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work at a bmw dealer and we have a cleaning system that uses walnut shells to clean the intake port and valve. It only takes a couple of hours and its as good as new. I wonder since the lt1 is N/A if it will see less oil in the intake track then some of the turbo german engines that have been discussed.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 347 Likes on 318 Posts

^ I take it that the walnut shell thing is not an on-car procedure? (Does the head need to come off the engine?)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99
^ I take it that the walnut shell thing is not an on-car procedure? (Does the head need to come off the engine?)
Yea its on car. You just pull the intake manifold. They have a piece that fits in the port that attaches to a vacume that sucks the shells and **** out while you blast through a metal tube.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Cool - but doesn't sound like fun...
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's not. Never done one outside of warranty though but its a common procedure.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Is it difficult to get the work accepted under warranty? My buddy at audi says its as easy as anything else as long as they provide some details to the history of the vehicle including a scan.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Cool - but doesn't sound like fun...
Yup! Doesnt sound fun at all! Lol
Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

This has been a good read but isn't it all speculation til we get to see some pics now that its been unveiled?
Hope it doesn't apply here lol
Old 01-14-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A really easy way to get some solvent on the valves would be to install a meth injection kit. Meth is used on N/A engines as well. Just run a real small nozzle on a WOT/ or vacuum switch and every time you nail it, the engine will self clean. Another advantage would be, being able to add more timing=more power, or run lower grade fuel=less cost to drive.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Very good point^
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Some pictures in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rtment-c7.html
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

I don't understand why everybody is comparing the LT1 to Audi and BMW engines and not the Caddy 3.6. Are they having carbon build up problems?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

yes on what i have seen the carbon buildup gets bad fast. the fuel seemed to clean the ports and valves better on mpi cars
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM
Save the manuals!

I went to the car show last week and GM had a strict policy that no hoods were to be opened. No Corvette, no ELR - nothing. Not even a Cruze...
Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This would likely prevent build up. It has been proven to work in many applications I can't see why it would not work in direct injection

http://www.moreyoil.co.nz/moreys-upp...ector-cleaner/

It's a simple lubricating cleansing mixture that drips into the intake system and cleans the valves and ports while lubricating the same. Has worked very well in older engines that hated unleaded fuels. 650:1 ratio makes it economical to use.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, that'll work great with the injectors spraying on the back of the valves... Oh, wait.

The carbon buildup on the valves is the result of oil making it's way past the valve guides. Barring some sort of technology change, you *need* oil to make it's way down the guides to lubricate the valve stem, just in tiny amounts. Without fuel spraying on the valves, they're going to run hotter, which will lead to oil coking. I don't know how they managed to alleviate this, or if they really did at all.

The buildup on the valves has very little/nothing to do with PCV vapors.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Preston99WS6
A really easy way to get some solvent on the valves would be to install a meth injection kit. Meth is used on N/A engines as well. Just run a real small nozzle on a WOT/ or vacuum switch and every time you nail it, the engine will self clean. Another advantage would be, being able to add more timing=more power, or run lower grade fuel=less cost to drive.
i was thinkng of a similar meth spray/injection device,
however most folks that own those hi end vehicles, will prolly not remember or care to replenish the container. only straight meth found at retail stores is HEET.
a hot rod, gear head, car guy will have no problem with periodic maintenance of the meth injection device. but i just dont see it from ppl who take the cars to dealers for all basic service. most of these folks are just gas up and go. never look under the hood themselves
Old 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
Yeah, that'll work great with the injectors spraying on the back of the valves... Oh, wait.

The carbon buildup on the valves is the result of oil making it's way past the valve guides. Barring some sort of technology change, you *need* oil to make it's way down the guides to lubricate the valve stem, just in tiny amounts. Without fuel spraying on the valves, they're going to run hotter, which will lead to oil coking. I don't know how they managed to alleviate this, or if they really did at all.

The buildup on the valves has very little/nothing to do with PCV vapors.
youre forgetting the vac pump. im thinking the vac applied to the crank case will keep much of that oil off the back of the valve.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Poppet valves and DI technology don't mix well together. It might dead end the technology as we know it. I'd look toward a rotary valve assembly or a small back step to a hybrid port/di injection to keep the valves clean.

Either way, it means money to us technicians. It's been a long time since we had a good systemic failure to make a living on.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VodeAn
Seafoam through the intake every few months?
Seafoam has shown to be marginal at best on the VW/Audi front so I wouldn't see it being of benefit in a new LT1.

Originally Posted by Whistler
Ask the turbo 335i BMW or the Ecotec guys how often they replace their top ends. They've been DI since 07/06
VAG has had DI since 05 at least. The 05 A4 had the same 2.0t that was used in GTI's/GLI's in 06.While carbon build up is a issue, it can be cleaned by a do-it-yourselfer, in a day. I would think most BMW guys just pay someone else. NOTE: I said MOST, not all.

Originally Posted by SoonLS1Powered
The 2006+ VW GTI has this exact problem and there are a lot of those cars out there. From what I have read on the VW forums a catch can doesn't solve the problem. Its been said that the deposits are also from the accumulation of oil that slips past the valve guide seals.

Makes sense to me since no valve guide seal is going to seal perfectly, and small amounts slip past whenever the car is running, and probably the most when the intake manifold is seeing high vacuum.
The VW guys debate the catch can issue at length. Much like removing the screen from the MAF of a F-body. While it hasn't really effected anything it isn't really hurting either. My GTI is APR stage 2 with a uncatted downpipe and 102000 miles. I have never had the valves cleaned. I haven't had my car scanned with VAGCOM to see it is pulling timing out do to a ping issue caused by large carbon build up either though. I probably should. And I should also take the intake off and check the valves and possibly clean them. It wouldn't hurt.

All that said DI, like many other fuel delivery technologies, has pro's and con's. Same can be said about a carb, or tbi or tpi. As much as I would love to hear GM got this right the first time, I can't help think that this is the same company that released its most powerful small blocks (LT1's and LS1's) and backed them with their smallest 10 bolt rear end.

Quick Reply: Direct Injection = Carbon Buildup?