Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

Why is it called an LT1, again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
What do you mean explode-a-rotor issues? That's a new term to me lol.

And If you get any moisture in any distributor, it tends to not run well lol. This is not an LT1 specific issue, and humidity is a new one to me and I live in Iowa lol. If a car sat for a long time with moisture in the distributor it can rust cause issues of course, but the 95-97 are vented and tend to clear up very quickly if it's an issue (unless you park them in the back yard in the rain for a few weeks without starting it? idk) and the 92-94 optis are sealed so idk how humidity would even effect those at all. Either way, I'd file that under neglect. Same with an overheating or damaged leaking water pump.
You've never seen an LT1 rotor explode? You've never seen a low mile well cared for LT1 misfire in high humidity or rainstorms? I thought you were familiar with the LT1. I guess I was mistaken. The Optispark has a very well deserved reputation.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You've never seen an LT1 rotor explode? You've never seen a low mile well cared for LT1 misfire in high humidity or rainstorms? I thought you were familiar with the LT1. I guess I was mistaken. The Optispark has a very well deserved reputation.

I guess the majority of the LT1 section (people on here that have 100,000-150,000+ mile original opti's) all have total fluke cars. lol

The majority of people who have problems with an opti are ones who did something stupid with their car (drive through a river, power wash the distributor, replaced it for no reason, replaced it with junk, installed it wrong, the list goes on).

I've had my car for nearly 6 years and have yet to have an issue whatsoever with the opti, many can attest to the same.

Funny thing is, many times a cap and rotor will solve most issues, but people like to replace the whole distributor for some reason.
But either way, If spending several hours with simple hand tools to replace a $300-400 wear item on a 15+ year old car is too scary for you, then the performance car world probably isn't for you anyway.

People who insta-blame and bitch about the opti have a well deserved reputation too
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing, all this bitching over a name. Them calling the new one LT1 is completely immaterial to me. It is just an RPO code.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You'll always here about an optispark failure every now and then, especially with the earlier models. They're certainly not the most reliable distributors in the world.

The way you talk about them though is funny though. You sound like an idiot and you don't even realize it.

Rotors exploding? Didn't know rotors could explode... I'm assuming you're talking about when they're not tightened enough with loctite and they come loose over time? Give it a rest buddy, you sound like a jackass.

Anyways, back to the new LT1 engine, which is going to kick ***.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
Rotors exploding? Didn't know rotors could explode... I'm assuming you're talking about when they're not tightened enough with loctite and they come loose over time? Give it a rest buddy, you sound like a jackass.
You too huh? I mean explode... as in shattering into dozens of little pieces. Or metal contacts flying off the rotor itself. This isn't installer error in all cases. This happens on OEM and Delco replacement parts. It's a design flaw. Is it 1995 again? This isn't news!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker

Anyways, back to the new LT1 engine, which is going to kick ***.

Can't wait to see the engines potential once the mods hit the shelves.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Typical past LT1 owner's to-do list:

1). Buy Neglected car.
2). If car isn't neglected, neglect it (pressure washing the front of the engine is a good start)
3). Heater core clogs up, FM radio channels are fuzzy-blame the opti.
4). Replace the opti with a cheap aftermarket opti (bonus points for installing it wrong)
-See also "Pay Dealership to install opti"-
5). Wait for cheap Opti to fail
6). Repeat steps 3-5 as necessary
7). Get mad about money and time 'invested'
8). Sell LT1, Buy LS1
9). Talk about how much faster the mid 13 second car is than the high 13 second car.
9). Pat yourself on the back
10). Talk **** about LT1 on the internetz
Stupid post and I'll explain why. You probably had one of the newer and improved opti cars 95 and up or w/e year it was. So easy for you to say everyone is dumb and installed them wrong and put on bad ones so they went bad. I bought a 93 z28 and had problems with the opti no mater what I did. Went through 2 optis in he 2 years I had it witch isn't that bad, BUT everytime it rained or was real humid the bitch would miss and run like ****. Now my dad had a 96 vette with lt1 and we never had a problem and even submerged the hood in water once going through a flood! The vented opti was much better.

AND LT1 f-bodies were NOT high 13 second cars lol. As many lt1 cars that ran 13's stock ls1's ran 12's stock lol. I know because I was the slow lt1 getting RAPED by ls1's. I had a mid 14 second lt1 and my friends 97 was a low 14 second car. AND they didn't take to mods well.

I'm not saying you're wrong on everything, but ls1's are MUCH faster and take to mods 10x better. I ran 13.4 in a 150% bone stock ls1 with 245 tires. Again I ran 14.5 in my 93 z28!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
No, the 94-96 Caddys had the same drivetrain as the Impala SS, no posi though, they had the ultra lame electronic traction control instead. Turn it off and it was a one wheel peel for about 200 feet with the 235/75/R15 whitewall tires.
Ah ok the Broughams....

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis
Can't wait to see the engines potential once the mods hit the shelves.
Same here..once that Tuning gets cracked...it's on.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sweet99ss
Stupid post and I'll explain why. You probably had one of the newer and improved opti cars 95 and up or w/e year it was. So easy for you to say everyone is dumb and installed them wrong and put on bad ones so they went bad. I bought a 93 z28 and had problems with the opti no mater what I did. Went through 2 optis in he 2 years I had it witch isn't that bad, BUT everytime it rained or was real humid the bitch would miss and run like ****. Now my dad had a 96 vette with lt1 and we never had a problem and even submerged the hood in water once going through a flood! The vented opti was much better.

AND LT1 f-bodies were NOT high 13 second cars lol. As many lt1 cars that ran 13's stock ls1's ran 12's stock lol. I know because I was the slow lt1 getting RAPED by ls1's. I had a mid 14 second lt1 and my friends 97 was a low 14 second car. AND they didn't take to mods well.

I'm not saying you're wrong on everything, but ls1's are MUCH faster and take to mods 10x better. I ran 13.4 in a 150% bone stock ls1 with 245 tires. Again I ran 14.5 in my 93 z28!
I have a buddy with a 94 (non vented) that he's had for several years and drives it as hard as a person physically can drive a car. He's entered every burnout contest he has been present for and the car has never been in a garage for the last 10 years. It sits outside including the Iowa winters, torrential downpours in spring, and humid *** summers. The car currently sits at over 130k miles. Guess what? He's never had a problem either with his OEM Opti.

And I find it funny how you imply I have a bias scope on things because I currently own a 95 (I've clearly never worked or been around anything other than my own car, right?). Your opinion is correct because you owned the total bastard year '93 car

I've seen Vipers and GT500's that can't get out of the 13's after 10+ runs at the drag strip. There's too many variables to argue about 1/4 mile times and modification responses over the internet and aint nobody wanna read bout dat anyway.

Sorry your old LT1 car sucked, but don't blame the opti son!

Last edited by MasterTomos; 05-15-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Teching In

1). Buy Neglected car.
2). If car isn't neglected, neglect it (pressure washing the front of the engine is a good start)
4). Replace the opti with a cheap aftermarket opti (bonus points for installing it wrong)
8). Sell LT1, Buy LS1
9). Talk about how much faster the mid 13 second car is than the high 13 second car.
This just made my day.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of ya'll are a real trip. Good times though, thanks

I love the Post by MasterTomos list of LT1 things to do... So true.

p.s. I dont hate the LT1, I actually like it alot more than the L98. I have owned several LT1 vehicles. My quam with GM changing the name was simply from a marketing brand name recognition stand point. They could have changed it to FOFF1 it would have made no difference to me. I just like that people who dont know much about cars often know what an LS1 is and what it means. Maybe GM did there research though and found out that sites like LS1 tech and thus alike were less visited than they were in the earlier years of the LS1's release. Maybe they figured new motor, new name, renewed interest and supporting internet traffic. Money makes the world go around so im sure GM have their reasons.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
Some of ya'll are a real trip. Good times though, thanks

I love the Post by MasterTomos list of LT1 things to do... So true.

p.s. I dont hate the LT1, I actually like it alot more than the L98. I have owned several LT1 vehicles. My quam with GM changing the name was simply from a marketing brand name recognition stand point. They could have changed it to FOFF1 it would have made no difference to me. I just like that people who dont know much about cars often know what an LS1 is and what it means. Maybe GM did there research though and found out that sites like LS1 tech and thus alike were less visited than they were in the earlier years of the LS1's release. Maybe they figured new motor, new name, renewed interest and supporting internet traffic. Money makes the world go around so im sure GM have their reasons.
I'll do you one better. I would wager that 99.99999% of the motoring public couldn't tell/care about the deffirence between LT1(II)/LS1/LT1(III) for the naming convention to even be a blkip on GM's collective radar. I imagine it fit their RPO system, was traditional enough hat a few people would get the correlation, and went with it.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I'll do you one better. I would wager that 99.99999% of the motoring public couldn't tell/care about the deffirence between LT1(II)/LS1/LT1(III) for the naming convention to even be a blkip on GM's collective radar.
Your post is devoid of all logic.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

I think this post (and many others on this site) is hard evidence that GM should brand their engines with unique names. The re-used RPO codes just don't cut it - especially for cars where owners are just as attached to the engine as the actual car.

If GM won't step up to the demand, lets do it here. Any takers for branding names for the new LT1?

How about the "Zoom V8DI"?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

Ls5?...
Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1). Buy Neglected car.
8). Sell LT1, Buy LS1
LMAO THATS HILARIOUS.

My previous lt1 owner to do list went like:

1) buy lt1 car for more than i could have paid for an ls1 car, cause it only had 40k in 2007
2) immediatly have issue with opti, waterpump. replace.
3) replace clutch and add headers
4)enjoy car briefly, especially coming from a 305
5)another opti, stock replacement.
6)shift at 5800 one time, blow head gasket, warp heads, leaking oil.
7)head gaskets fixed
8)wont start. msd cap and rotor was no good, no idea why.
9)leaking oil from the front of the motor, little gear and spindle for opti had too much play, and was wiping out the seal.
10)a month or two after replacing opti gear and coil, fuel pump goes.
11)sold at 67k

2002 ls1 trans am. 165k, cammed, stalled. rebuilt tranny at 160k, due to incorrect converter installation. Other than that, zero issues.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
LMAO THATS HILARIOUS.

1) buy lt1 car for more than i could have paid for an ls1 car, cause it only had 40k in 2007
7)head gaskets fixed
9)leaking oil from the front of the motor, little gear and spindle for opti had too much play, and was wiping out the seal.
11)sold at 67k

2002 ls1 trans am. 165k, cammed, stalled. rebuilt tranny at 160k, due to incorrect converter installation. Other than that, zero issues.
Holy **** lol. Definitely out of the norm here lol.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

LMAO THATS HILARIOUS.

7)head gaskets fixed
11)sold at 67k

My cars been bounced off the 6000 rpm rev limiter several times and generally beat on and it takes it like a champ. Your car had issues before you got it. Ill be rolling 178,000 on mine today
Old 05-19-2013, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

LMAO THATS HILARIOUS.

7)head gaskets fixed
11)sold at 67k

Yeah definetily out of the norm. My 95 Fleetwood with the LT1 had 51k on it when I bought it, 61k when I sold it. The A/C system had a leak in it, along with a weird electrical problem with the door switch that caused all the interior lights to come on when you hit a bump or shake the car.

IMO the LT1 was the strong part of that car, it was the lousy rust proofing on the frame of that car that caused me to sell it(it was a Michigan car BTW) I could slice thin pieces of rust off the frame with my big 15" flat blade screw driver right where the front roll bar and suspension parts mounted to the frame. Unless you crawled under it, the body. paint, and interior looked flawless, you would never know of the horrors that lurked on the underside.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Like someone said...all this crying over a name. RPO code, maybe, but everyone is acting like GM is forcing us to buy an LT1. If you don't like it DON'T BUY IT!! It's that simple. It's no different than you not liking beets. You don't eat them, if you don't want or like them.

Quick Reply: Why is it called an LT1, again?