Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

Why is it called an LT1, again?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it called an LT1, again?

Can some explain to me why they are tagging LT1 on another engine? Let's hope in the next 5 years there's another LS1.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well actually this is the third LT1, only the original 1970 power plant had a dash in the title (LT-1). Same reason they brought the LS6, L98, ZR1, ZL1 and all the other GM monikers from back in the day. Just paying homage I suppose.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

GM gives major packages on their cars a three digit code. That gives them 46,656 different code options for their cars, which isn't that much for what a copay the size of GM produces.

Its just like a freshman quarterback using the same number as the senior quarterback who graduated last year. You have to reuse the numbers. And then we act the same - expecting similarities between the two quarterbacks, just because they are wearing the same number.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

**** YOU, thats WHY!

lol jk

Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

They fucked up with the 4th gen lt1s so they're trying to make up for it
Old 04-30-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GM really messed up by calling the new power plant an LT. They spent the last 15 plus years getting people used to the name LS, weather it be LS1, LS2, LS6, LS9, LSX you name it. People hear "LS" and they automatically know what it is, this took GM 15 years to accomplish. A sort of pavlovian response one could say.

So why after 15 years and finally achieving name recognitions for the LS did GM change back to the LT? Same reason they needed a bail out I suppose.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like mentioned above this is far from the first time a name has been recycled. When you see a C5 z06 and someone tells you it has an LS6, do you get confused and might think that it has a 454 big block in it from the 70's? When you hear somebody talk about a ZR1, do you think of the supercharged LS9 or the star wars dash from 1991?

It's all really confusing, but if we hold hands and believe in ourselves, we might be able to make it through it together.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
GM really messed up by calling the new power plant an LT. They spent the last 15 plus years getting people used to the name LS, weather it be LS1, LS2, LS6, LS9, LSX you name it. People hear "LS" and they automatically know what it is, this took GM 15 years to accomplish. A sort of pavlovian response one could say.

So why after 15 years and finally achieving name recognitions for the LS did GM change back to the LT? Same reason they needed a bail out I suppose.
The lsx name has been well know since the early 2000s. Where the hell did you get 15 years? The lt1 platform was also a very good platform. It had flaws as did the ls1, but it was killing the competition all the way through its life. The ls1 just overshadowed it in 97 in the corvette.

And no, it didn't go back to the lt1 name cus of a "bailout." That's got nothing to do with anything. As mentioned before, the lt-1 name has been out since the 70s, where it was also a great platform. If anything, the new lt1 better live up to the name.

I don't know if you've noticed it, but engines tend to get better with time.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I figured it had some sort of homage to being a new generation of engines. I just think maybe they should have used a different tag bc the LT1 was great, not sure about the LT-1, but the LS a few years later blew it out of the water! So are they just setting up the next engine or what yah know?

its funny the new Z28 comes with the LS7. Next will it come with an LT1 again? The Z looks huge and bulky, i personally like the new SS more.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zlow28
The lsx name has been well know since the early 2000s. Where the hell did you get 15 years? The lt1 platform was also a very good platform. It had flaws as did the ls1, but it was killing the competition all the way through its life. The ls1 just overshadowed it in 97 in the corvette.

And no, it didn't go back to the lt1 name cus of a "bailout." That's got nothing to do with anything. As mentioned before, the lt-1 name has been out since the 70s, where it was also a great platform. If anything, the new lt1 better live up to the name.

read what you just put an think bout it... from 97-2013 is how many years? 15yrs. right?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports

Originally Posted by Zlow28

Originally Posted by lilaaron233333
read what you just put an think bout it... from 97-2013 is how many years? 15yrs. right?
Dont just read this time, try and comprehend.

The lsx engine has been out for for over 15 years. That doesnt mean its been trying to prove itself for the last 15 years. It did that almost instantly when it first came out. 98 for the fbodies forcing ford to supercharge their cobras, and 01 when the z06 started performing like a supercar. It's gotten better, no doubt, but it had already left its mark in history.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

For those implying that the LT1 was a let down some way in the early 90's, take a look at horsepower and torque figures for 'performance' cars and engines through the 80's and even a majority of the cars from the 90's (cough cough, mustang GT). Nobody was saying "oh god, what a let down, I can't wait for the next generation motor because this thing is crap!" in the early-mid 90's.

Hell, people were super skeptical of the LS motor when it first was announced. Everyone was convinced that the aluminum block was going to be brittle junk and that the computer was absolute witchcraft with no tuning capability. People are just scared of change, but it *almost* always for the better. It's not like the LS motor won't exist anymore. People are still finding ways to upgrade LT and LS motors alike. Take a look at some of the stroker #'s from the 90's on an LT1, and then compare to what can be done with one for a few grand today.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seriously, whats up with all this LT1 hatred. These cars ruled the 90s just like how the LS1s had their time.

It must be some new trend to hate LT1s, guess all the "cool kids" are doing it so why not.

pfft. lame asses
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

GM did it to **** with dimwits. Mark Ruess has this thread up in the boardroom. They are eating pizza and laughing.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They ran out of modern "LS" codes...What were they going to call it? "LS-10"

I agree that they should have came up with something else. It's basically still LS DNA...They should have kept rolling it as an "LS3" since its still a 6.2. "NexGen LS3"
Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as it doesn't have opti crap we're happy. The LT1 was good for its day, but I don't care what you say they are a pain in the ***. lol, we charge extra to work on them.

Sean
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Speed Engineering
As long as it doesn't have opti crap we're happy. The LT1 was good for its day, but I don't care what you say they are a pain in the ***. lol, we charge extra to work on them.

Sean
Damn opti's only last 150k+ miles, and when they do go out, it's like several hours of straightforward labor with simple hand tools. What car owner would want to mess with that? You'd have to be an enthusiast or something crazy like that.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Damn opti's only last 150k+ miles, and when they do go out, it's like several hours of straightforward labor with simple hand tools. What car owner would want to mess with that? You'd have to be an enthusiast or something crazy like that.
i use to charge a good amount to change out optis.
i got real good at it too. bout an hr. i havent had to change a single ignition coil on my 350k stock motor 4.8 sierra. not looking forward to working on opti anything ever again.

I dont agree with the name, i would have liked to see a LZx or LRx or LKx
Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeSS
I dont agree with the name, i would have liked to see a LZx or LRx or LKx
That's the thing - all these are already used.

LZ1 - Vortec 6.0L V8 Hybrid
LR1 - ENGINE, GAS, 4 CYL, 1.95L, 2BBL
LK1 - ENGINE DIESEL, 6 CYL, 9.8L, DI, L6, OHC, 199KW, TURBO, ISUZU

I think I have it, though. After a good bit of research, I found that LT1 pays homage to the long lost Luther Tobias. Luther Tobias was the faithful assistant to Nikolaus Otto (father of the internal combustion engine) and was able to prove that Otto's engine was ultimately versatile and could run on naturally occurring methane. However; Luther Tobias' contribution to the internal combustion engine is little recognized as Otto was from the Rhineland region of Germany and Tobias was a Bavarian. Nevertheless, GM chose to recognize his achievement by developing the LT1 moniker. Luther Tobias - 1 man with a vision and a very valuable contribution to the modern mechanized world.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

LT1 haterd or not...GM is gonna sell a buttload of the new Vettes. And for you Camaro guys, don't get too bent out of shape, trust and believe the new Camaro will soon get an LT?(something) really soon. So will your GM trucks, SUV's, etc. The same way the LS block, whether it was iron or aluminum, was basically put in almost everything GM built, so will the LT's. And once the aftermarket industry catches up to it, it'll be in all of the protouring cars. Then GM will release the LTx aftermarket block and RHS, DART, etc will too. Then everyone will be the new LT engines.

Quick Reply: Why is it called an LT1, again?