Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

Texas Speed & Performance Receives 6.2L LT1 Engine for Testing!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just and update - We are completing some dyno testing on a 6.2L LSA today, and then we will get the LT1 on the dyno. So, it won't be much longer!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
Sorry my thread was confusing i was stating that the whp numbers are pretty good considering an ls3 is claimed around 430/430 and loses about 60 through the drivetrain if these dyno at 416/416 to the wheels they would only be losing about 44 hp through the drivetrain. This would indicate to me that GM's claimed numbers are underrated and that the magazines that are test driving the z51 c7's say that power delivery feels like a c6 z06 likely because they are making slightly higher than the claimed 460/460.

The LS3 numbers 15% drivetrain loss is much more realistic than 9.5%. If you take into account a 15% drivetrain loss on the 416 number it comes out more around 480. It will be interesting to see what power these make on aftermarket engine dynos.
You also have to consider the environmental conditions. That will play a part in dyno numbers. IMHO production engines are not maxed out and conservative for reliability and street manners. I feel they are getting to the area with an NA 6.2l where there probably isn't much more to squeeze out of it without sacrificing. I'm sure porting the heads, maybe a little better cam will improve the performance, but I don't think you will see the gains like the previous LS engines until they up the cubes
Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
You also have to consider the environmental conditions. That will play a part in dyno numbers. IMHO production engines are not maxed out and conservative for reliability and street manners. I feel they are getting to the area with an NA 6.2l where there probably isn't much more to squeeze out of it without sacrificing. I'm sure porting the heads, maybe a little better cam will improve the performance, but I don't think you will see the gains like the previous LS engines until they up the cubes
This is a good thing though. You buy a car and have the ultimate street car with no mods. I know it takes the fun out of modding but who wouldn't want reliable race engines for the street without paying anything extra.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a good thing though. You buy a car and have the ultimate street car with no mods. I know it takes the fun out of modding but who wouldn't want reliable race engines for the street without paying anything extra.
No doubt. If cold air/headers/tune will get you into the 470/470+ rw area without having to open up the motor, you can sign me the f@%& up.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
No doubt. If cold air/headers/tune will get you into the 470/470+ rw area without having to open up the motor, you can sign me the f@%& up.
No doubt far cheaper than building one. I don't think you get 470rwhp out of it though with just those mods. The LS7 puts down that stock..that's why I haven't jumped on the C7 band wagon just yet. I need 550RWHP!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When GM can build a 100 hp per liter 6.2 that passes emissions and the grandpa daily driver test you will get 550whp stock. Unlikely that GM would take the steps necessary for that though. Could you only imagine how far they would have to change there winning engine design to reach that. I would see 8 - 8.5k rpm with some type of variable valve timing with lift adjustment and overhead cams.

I just realized though that it will exist if GM does a supercharged LT1.

Last edited by TurbopigB4C; 09-25-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

When GM can build a 100 hp per liter 6.2 that passes emissions and the grandpa daily driver test you will get 550whp stock. Unlikely that GM would take the steps necessary for that though. Could you only imagine how far they would have to change there winning engine design to reach that. I would see 8 - 8.5k rpm with some type of variable valve timing with lift adjustment and overhead cams.

I just realized though that it will exist if GM does a supercharged LT1.

Its by far easier to push high HP numbers with more cubes. For an engine that has to spin to 9K just screams expensive parts. Its going to be tough to produce stout #s and maintain fuel economy and emissions with small cubes.

GM will probably start experimenting with Turbos on the LS/LT
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A turbo LT based engine would be a dream but likely never happen. They think about warranty costs too much and turbos are way to easy to push the engine past stock, break and then put back to stock to get it warrantied. I would be first in line to sell everything I own and work two jobs to buy one though if it was around 3500 lbs and not 4000. I owned a Buick GN back in the day and if GM were to pull some miracle car out of its hat that was not a vette and resembled either a rwd monte carlo or grand national with a turbo lt engine I could see it doing the same thing it did in the 80's. The new vette and when the newer camaro comes out they would be hailed as second and third best to a Buick.

I am personally hoping and praying GM will do a small sport truck with a 5.3 or 6.2 new gen motor and either 6 or 7 speed manual option. I would have bought a 5.3 Colorado or Canyon in a heartbeat if they had a tr6060 option.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have been busy yesterday and today tearing down one of our 6.2L LT1's! We have one on the dyno engine stand, ready to be bolted into place. We have another that we have torn down to a bare block. We have been taking various measurements as we tear it down, and we are already working on some prototype camshafts to test on the dyno. As you will see in some of the new pictures, the factory pistons have a dome on the intake side. So, it is going to further restrict the piston-to-valve clearance for larger camshafts. VVT cannot be disabled, but AFM can. You honestly would not want to disable VVT anyways because it gives you the best of both worlds! You can advance a cam in the lower RPM's for better low-end power and retard the cam in the upper RPM's for better top-end power. We have seen excellent results with our VVT line of cams for the L99 2010+ Camaro SS, so we expect the same great results! Some random things we have noticed: no gaskets used for the front cover, oil pan, or rear cover; complete new oil pump design; the fuel pump is mechanically driven via a lifter that rides on a separate lobe on the rear of the camshaft; crank and rods are very similar to the LSA design; factory coated bearings. The list can go on and on! We will continue to update as we continue to test and measure. We have a set of pistons getting ready to go into production for a 416 CID LT1 stroker, so once our testing is complete on the stock engine we will begin testing the stroker version.

Click on the link below to check out some of the updated pictures!

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Tex...0Engine%20Pics
Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
Just and update - We are completing some dyno testing on a 6.2L LSA today, and then we will get the LT1 on the dyno. So, it won't be much longer!
Cool. Best of luck!
-Garrett
Old 09-26-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I sure hope GM is holding out until the very end to unveil a 15 Camaro with LT1 and 7 speed in the Cadillac ATS chassis just to keep the 14 Camaro selling as long as possible. I don't think I can save the 25k dollar down payment to get a new C7 at a 500 dollar a month car payment.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have updated our album with more pictures!

http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Tex...0Engine%20Pics
Old 09-27-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldn't see in the pictures if the engine mounts on the block are the same as an LS. Are the mounts different?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Yes, the mounts do look the same. With that said, older style mounts may or may not get in the way, depending on what else is around it. Sorry for the bad pic. I was trying to work around the manifolds with the engine on the dyno stand.

You can see on the front driver's-side of the block where the optional dry-sump will bolt in, and that may or may not cause issues with an older style mount. Our 2014 Corvette that we have on order has the Z51 package with dry-sump, so we will be able to tell more at that point.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its awesome how GM keeps so much stuff the same so that older cars can swap in the newer engines easily. An import would change the mounts on purpose when a new version comes out.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Its awesome how GM keeps so much stuff the same so that older cars can swap in the newer engines easily. An import would change the mounts on purpose when a new version comes out.
lol...I'm sure it's not for your convenience . Saves the company money with tooling from manufacturing and part supplies. Nobody wants to produce 1 off components, that's too expensive. That is unless its a government contract.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

All I need is for someone to make a T-56/TR6060 bell housing adapter and I'm gtg. I'd love to swap one of the new LT1's into my RX. Keep up the good investigating TSP!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

So what's the deal with the cylinder heads? Flow numbers ? Valve size? What rocker arms do they use?
Thank you for all the information on these! I'm excited for direct injection!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Here is our thread featuring the LT1 cylinder head:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...xas-speed.html

It has a 1.8 Rocker Ratio. Intake valve size is 2.130" and 1.59" Exhaust.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you going to also order the GM crate engine pn 12657206 to see how it compares? I just saw it online. Its the 6.2 liter truck version of the Gen V and is 3000 dollars cheaper.

Quick Reply: Texas Speed & Performance Receives 6.2L LT1 Engine for Testing!