Generation V Internal Engine 2013-20xx LT1

15' SS auto drive belt and ac belt came off yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 15' SS auto drive belt and ac belt came off yesterday

So yesterday morning heading to breakfast as we were existing the freeway i noticed the battery icon show up on the gauge, then i notice it read in the center car overheating to let it idle, by that time it started to beep and beep we were able to pull off the road within seconds of all this happening, popped the hood and found that both the AC and Drive belts had come off, luckly they were just laying there, so had to wait for someone to bring me a wrench to put the drive belt back on. But the ac belt not back on...

So first off, why or what could cause both belts to pop off? We never heard any noise like something happened, the drive was about 5 or 6 miles, this happened about 4 miles into the drive.

Its a 2015 SS with only 9000 Miles on it, saturday i had the oil changed by the dealership(maintenance program) and we drove around all night saturday without issues..

2nd being in texas and in the heat, driving without ac is not acceptable, in this case it wasnt bad, but found that you need special tool to put the belt back on for the ac, dealership is going to fix all this, but where can i find steps on reinstalling the belt for future reference..
Old 09-27-2016, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The a/c is a tension fit, so unless the pulley walked out, something is very wrong.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

So dealership called, there was something with the ac pulley, replaced and car is ready, but she talked to fast and was already at work when they called, so will get specifics this afternoon and post back..
Old 09-29-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

So got the car back yesterday, according to them it was poor machining on the ac belt, they replaced the belt, ran tests and was ok.. so not sure to call BS on that or if there is anyway to tell myself.. i popped the hood and and turned on the car, it is a new belt and watching all the pulleys, not sure if its just dirty, but all pulleys look fine and aligned, but the crank pulley looks to have a wobble, but how can you verify without removing anything.. i mean i would rather it all be factory installed and faulty than mess with it and have them say it was touched and not covered.

Quick Reply: 15' SS auto drive belt and ac belt came off yesterday