Holden Performance Australian LS1 Powered Vehicles

Fuel smell in oil, slightly rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel smell in oil, slightly rough idle

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. So forgive me if this thread is in the wrong place 😂

I have a VY Holden Commodore V8 in New Zealand, also known as Pontiac GTO is the closest car to these ones.
It has an LS1 in it and I’ve been having slightly rough idling problems with it, the motor will shake slightly and you can feel it through the car and also you can hear it through the exaust like it misses a beat every now and then, but under load or when I’m cruising on the highway it all seems fine and it pulls hard! so I’m guessing it was just an engine characteristic as other people have told me.
ive recently changed the oil in the engine in roughly the past 1000km (600miles) but it has a fuel smell to it, not bad but enough for me to worry, I could also smell a strong raw fuel odour in the cab of the car when cruising on the highway at 100kph. I’m guessing that the rough idle and this fuel smell in the oil are connected in a way? What are your thoughts? Cheers
by the way, the car is completely stock besides the exhaust which isn’t anything special, just a louder bore on it. Also there is no noticeable smoke or blow by coming out of the dip stick or the oil filler neck. I’ve only owned it for a few months and am slowly getting new parts for the engine, but recently just replaced the transmission so ran out of funds 😂 other than that, I’m unsure if the spark plugs and coils have been replaced. But I don’t want to spend money on stuff that doesn’t need to be replaced. Also it has roughly 110,000miles on it
Old 07-11-2019, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello, Have you checked your fuel injectors? Could be a leak somewhere
Old 07-30-2019, 08:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

id start with plug and wires honestly especially at that mileage if you dont know when they were replaced. It would make sense under idle a plug might not get hot enough to ignite and might push past the rings during compression cycle on idle but under more demand it is able. This would point to wards a plug wire or a plug explaining the slight gas smell. If you have a laser thermometer you could try and get a reading at each primary on the exhaust manifold before spending any money.