Holden Performance Australian LS1 Powered Vehicles

Suspension upgrades for Monaro/GTO

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Suspension upgrades for Monaro/GTO

Any of you gus down under know of better suspension parts for these cars. My GTO has terrible understeer, and I am looking for some parts:

1 - Camber plates

2 -Sway bars/ anti-roll bars, stabilizer bars, dunno what you Aussies call them so I figured I cover all the bases..

3- Bushings, both rollbar and suspension bushings. The front suspension deflects rearward under hard braking an alarming amount. I figure it is in the front lower bushing, but need some help with it. Anybody have a spherical bearing insert for this bushing??

4- Lastly, my LSD still breaks the inside tire loose on the track. Maybe some stab bars would help, but I'd like to pre-load the diff more. That way I might be able to power-on rotate the car some more..

Anything??

Cheer!
Old 10-15-2004, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try these guys www.whiteline.com.au
Old 10-17-2004, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by v8 ute
Try these guys www.whiteline.com.au
Thanks, but no dice, they didn't seem to have anything for 2002+ Monaro.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:32 PM
BJG
Teching In

Default Decent Spring Rate

Originally Posted by beertestr
Any of you gus down under know of better suspension parts for these cars. My GTO has terrible understeer, and I am looking for some parts:

1 - Camber plates

2 -Sway bars/ anti-roll bars, stabilizer bars, dunno what you Aussies call them so I figured I cover all the bases..

3- Bushings, both rollbar and suspension bushings. The front suspension deflects rearward under hard braking an alarming amount. I figure it is in the front lower bushing, but need some help with it. Anybody have a spherical bearing insert for this bushing??

4- Lastly, my LSD still breaks the inside tire loose on the track. Maybe some stab bars would help, but I'd like to pre-load the diff more. That way I might be able to power-on rotate the car some more..

Anything??

Cheer!
Sounds like the front spring rate is too soft (175lb" approx) & rear 360lb". We have coil springs in various progressive rate designs to keep same height with heavier spring rates. Would suggest the following coils for your application:

Front KHFL-47HHD = 350-500lb" progressive
Rear KHRL-46HHD = 600-1000lb" progressive

Please note that these coils are designed for the top end performance market and will firm ride considerably. This combination is very popular here in Australia when used for track / street work, and not wanting to go to the expense of a full blown coil over suspension package designed for track only.

For more info and any other related questions, drop me a line at:
brad@kingsprings.com.au
www.kingsprings.com.au
Old 10-20-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by beertestr
Thanks, but no dice, they didn't seem to have anything for 2002+ Monaro.
You should email them..

Whiteline is an excellent company. However do not buy direct. You want to find a US authorized dealer as the shipping is expensive

Many companies that sell Subaru parts could be Whiteline dealers. I used to own a subaru and have owned Whiteline parts.

The great thing about them is that they have been in the game for a long time and know what works. It's hard to buy something from an american company when AUS has had the car for a longer time and Whiteline probably has more research in the performance of the Holden cars.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BJG
Sounds like the front spring rate is too soft (175lb" approx) & rear 360lb". We have coil springs in various progressive rate designs to keep same height with heavier spring rates. Would suggest the following coils for your application:

Front KHFL-47HHD = 350-500lb" progressive
Rear KHRL-46HHD = 600-1000lb" progressive

Please note that these coils are designed for the top end performance market and will firm ride considerably. This combination is very popular here in Australia when used for track / street work, and not wanting to go to the expense of a full blown coil over suspension package designed for track only.

For more info and any other related questions, drop me a line at:
brad@kingsprings.com.au
www.kingsprings.com.au
I have never been a big fan of increasing spring rates unless there was a matching damper unit to go with it. This is why I want to explore the swaybar avenue. I feel the car is well suspended from a gross body motion control, the roll stiffness, and steering response leave more to be desired. If you lived in Detroit, Michigan, you'd understand the sensitivity to stiffening the spring rates. The roads are some of the worst in the country, and the ride on a GTO is about as firm as I would go without a kidney belt. I think I am getting old.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrades for Monaro/GTO