Hot Rod Power Tour/ Pump Gas Drags/ Drag Week Covers all Hot Rod events

2007 Power Tour locations announced

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gonna try to give it a go next year...
Old 10-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

so it's passing thru chicago???
Old 10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moparnos (The SLP Guy)
so it's passing thru chicago???
I imagine it will pass through somewhere. The actual route hasn't been announced yet.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 PM
FormerVendor

Looks like I will pass next year. I want to go to SEMA and can't do both.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Teching In

We will be going this year, might even do the long haul. I went for a few days in 05 and it was a blast. Everywhere you go or pass there are bitchen cars everywhere. You almost become numb to it.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

yeah I am planning on being a long hauler this year. Man I can't wait.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Default Power Tour

For those of you that haven't gone before...do homework and even spend some time talking on Forums about things to see in various areas.

This will be my 6th trip in 8 years. While I think San Bernadino was the coolest trip, they all are great for the cars, the people, and the stops. You will have a great time, but some things to be aware of: Think about what this is: "It's a taveling car show', complete with all the headaches that might arise out of moving 3000 cars, support vehicles, etc. Think about it and make sure you can handle crowds. Personally, I hate folks who go along, and then complain non stop about everything you can imagine. Directions, route, venue, food, stops, people, more people, crowds, traffic jams, security, BREAK DOWNS", etc. These people NEED TO STAY home! Take lightweight folding chairs for the evening meeting at the GM stage. They give away great swag every day! For some things you need to sign up at the individual booths or displays. This is why you need to read, ask questions, and talk to other Power Tour folks.

Make sure you read your packet when you pick it up day one! Make sure you "time in" and get your time stamp every day, or you will not be eligible for the second crate engine or some of the other stuff. You also get tickets at the booths with numbers, some are good all week, some only for the day. Some vendors may give away one item each day. Others give away a different item each day, when you stop by their display. Check it out, it varies by vendor, and what they choose to do. Some give away nothing, but most give away a lot of stuff, some junk, some good stuff. But, everyday something of real value is given away, like transmissions, a trip to SEMA, a vacation for two, a Route 66 road sign (which was WAY COOL, I know it sounds chezzy, but it wasn't), a complete Painless wiring harness, case of Mobil 1, Race Fuel, gift certificates of every size, and so on. It is amazing what they give away, but YOU MUST be present for the daily sway they give away on the GM stage. It usually starts at 6 and last a couple of hours. Grab a chair, a cold beer, and meet some folks! Shade goes early so plan accordingly.

I've had three back fusions, so unfortuantely I usally can't stay late every day, after driving all day. But its' OK, I love the trip, the people and the oh so cool cars! Tons, of cool cars. And, hundreds that stop for only a day or two, and not the whole trip. That was what was cool when it was small, but now it is so big, they give the close in parking to long haulers, and the day tripers stay further away. Don't miss checking these parking lots out as well, you may see a one-of-a-kind muscle car!!! You name it, I have seen it, even a real ZL1, or so I was told!

Take sun screen, maps, and get the route ahead of time. Highlight it on the maps you send to the state for weeks ahead of the Power Tour. All states give away road maps, it is usually at a website like: Ohio - www.ohio.gov under the section "travel visitors", or for Illinois www.illinois.gov (I checked this one out, it was right, but here is the direct link for Illinois maps at:
http://www.enjoyillinois.com/brochures/ and check the travel packet tab), the key is to have information at your fingertips, in case you miss a travel meeting and a detour. I made the mistake one year of following 7 muscle cars one year. After about 30 miles they pulled over, and said, "Hey dude, we wondered if you might be lost, we are heading home now", it was the third day and they had only planned on a couple days. I learn slowly! HA!

Make sure you have a great radiator, if you don't you will hate the inherent traffic jams, and that would tend to ruin your trip. The folks have got a lot better about this issue, and many other complaints that have been voiced. Personally, I think Hot Rod does a superb job. The company that does the logistics is changing next year, so there may be some surprises, maybe for the good, who knows?!?

Take lots of film, or memory. You will see many many hot cars, and the scenery is usually damn good too, both kinds too! What was great about last year was all the cars I had not seen before, and the route. And of course, the cool Carolinas, the Parkway, and great weather. It didn't rain as much as it had for some years now. It is the first full week of June, it tends to rain.

Make your plans very early. Don't be so concerned about staying close to the Venue. In stead, make sure your motel is not in a dumpy area, expecially if you have a nice car, or a classic. Thefts do happen, and as the venue grows, it will attract organized theives, like bike week in Daytona! Take time to find a nicer area, or safer area, to stay. Take time and research this, as you will not want anything bad to happen, like a vandalized car, or worse a stolen car. You may even want to have a nice alarm installed. I saw a Superbird last year, with two wheels taken off the car during the night. That was cool! But even then, they could still drag it on a flatbed if they wanted it bad enough.

Most people tend to stay at the mid priced to upper level motels. But, I have had some of my best times staying at Motel 6s, and cheaper motels, when I was late making reservations one year. It seems impromtu parties break out no matter what hotel you stay in. Plan on it!

Also, make a point to go to the driver meetings and to go on the offical routes. Directions change, and they used to meet at a Walmart to have the driver meetings. It's so big now, they go back to the venue. Directions change due to traffic jams, road issues, or last minute things. If you miss one, it's OK just ask someone in the parking lot at the motel. People are very good about sharing info with other Power Tour folks. Heck, I know some guys now, for 7+ years! It's hard to believe, but you meet life long friends on the Tour.

They always find some cool roads to take, and usally some cool hot rod visit areas. Like side trips to Mid America (Corvette seller two years ago, and also 4 years ago, I think) They run together. Or, like the Jegs stop, or the drag racing museum, or Speedway racing parts store in Lincoln NE. It's always something cool to do, visit, or just sit and look at muscle cars. Every year is fun!! Don't miss it, grab a buddy, a girl friend, and come on the Power Tour!

IT doesn't matter what you drive either. NO matter what you spend, some one will have something more expensive, with more horsepower! And, someone will have a car that is much cheaper. It's about cars, but also about people just getting into cars, so don't make fun of the kids driving Honda Civic. Do you remember what your first car was? While I may drive a Corvette C6 now, I used to drive some hunks of junk too.

So, plan ahead, grab a friend or two, and come along and enjoy the Power Tour! You will never regret it!

But, if you hate crowds and complain about anything and everything STAY HOME!

JC

PS For those old farts who thought I was cutting in line last year, (the Red C6 Vette) you stay home too! I can't stand people who "'assume you are cutting in line! Besides, there may be a very good reason why someone mayh need to squezze in--like they missed the lane change, ike I did. Or, maybe, while at the food liine, they recently had double back fusion and can't stand for more then 20 minutes.

You know who you are, so just save all of us, and stay home! All you did is complain about me, and many other things. I know, I heard from others too! You looked like a fool, and you sounded like one too. (These type of people die young from stress!)
Old 11-01-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

.....VERY GOOD writeup/advice.........been on 4 with my wife...missed last year..going this year ..[07]......just cool out, settle back, relax, [as much as u can], go with the flow[or not] ..just expect some waits, maybe a couple hassles, but take it in stride..COOL OUT..Because u are with a bunch of other H.Rodders out trying to have a great time also. If u just cool out, you will have a fantastic time. [ C6 Vette---gonna have to hook up with you for a bit for sure.]
Old 11-02-2006, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

from the looks of the map, it starts and ends around the cincinnati area, 5 mins from my house, im going to try and make the long haul this yea I hope in my Chevelle but prolly in my Z
Old 11-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Teching In

I wuld love to join up this year but I don't know if my car will be ready. When does it start./end?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:39 AM
Teching In

June 2-9 07. the 9th is for long haulers only though.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Teching In

C6, that was a lot of good info. We went in 2005 and may go on some of it in 2007.

We took off in the afternoon and drove part way to the next site. That way we got a room in another area that wan't as crowded or expensive. We could get a late start and still be in a cruise group as they string out a long way.

The road used for a lot of the 05 Tour was US 231, a nice 4 lane but not an interstate.

The whole thing is pretty informal but really a kick.

Last edited by zonie77; 11-08-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:37 AM
Teching In

i know you guys are not ford fans but i'm going for part of it in my 87 stang
Old 11-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

Originally Posted by PipesTA
I imagine it will pass through somewhere. The actual route hasn't been announced yet.
u going
Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparnos (The SLP Guy)
u going
My car isn't going to be street legal. can I ride in your car?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

I thiink there will be a few of us from Baton Rouge going.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.mytrain.com/hrpt2007.html

link to venue info, maps, PT countdown, and general PT info
Old 11-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

fo sho matt
Old 12-06-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im gonna try to make it this year i would like to be a long hauler but i gotta make sure the funds are there first.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

man It's getting closer everyday.

Quick Reply: 2007 Power Tour locations announced