Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Police Z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New Police Z28

The way I see it is that a Camaro has what, 5 inches of travel, so headers or lowering isn't going to affect the "off roading abilities" that much. JMO.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would go with highway gears and a 125 shot of nitrous. I think this would work well for an interceptor. Should work out to around $1k.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice deal you got goin there man, I like it. Welcome to the board. I used to live in Colleyville, which is right next to Grapevine. They have a few z28's themselves, and those b!tches fly. I don't know what they've done to them, but they move. I've also seen the state troopers running z's. Good luck with that project, and keep us updated.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know if you guys would know about this or not, but I was running with the NBM Z28 one day and he had a "Police Interceptor" (sp?) on the back. Now I know that there are many Z28 police cars out in Denver, but this was in Los Angeles and he had no lights and no other police badging...just the interceptor on the back. Did he jack it from a police car or what?
Did you get a good look at the letter styling???chevy or ford....cause you can buy the ford one for about $45 as a part!!!....kindof a rip for an emblem...but you can buy 'em....
Old 10-18-2003, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

It looked like the ones you see on the backs of the Ford Police Vehicles, but I am not sure.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'd like to check out this z28 next weekend when i'm up in DFW.. LS1 mini meet at bone daddies?? ya'll down?

its cool to see you on the board posting.. if you've got an auto i say put a stall on that puppy and you'll notice a huge difference..

also for your situation i'd say mac shorties or hookers would be the way to go.. and for suspension get 1LE you can probably find used for cheap.. not as much of a drop and it will handle alot better

ls6 intake manifold, cutout.. and your car should pull strong up in top end
Old 10-18-2003, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would be kind of reluctant to put a stall in it, any stall that would make much of a difference would cause more stress on the tranny. He is going to be hammering it everyday and it will put a lot of stress and heat on the transmission. Just my opinion though. Mac Midlength headers dont hang low at all, nothing compared to longtubes.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

ByOFICER, he could purchase the bm tranny cooler, that would clear up all heating issues.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:25 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hey since you're a policec officer....

could I purchase a get out of jail free card from you...

just kidding....had to say it...
Old 10-18-2003, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

onebadz: I know that he could purchase a tranny cooler but the stall would still take its toll on the tranny
Old 10-18-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

As long as it is a lock-up style converter it should be ok for cruising.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as get out of jail free cards are on the market, can I order one for Georgia?
Old 10-18-2003, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Id set this car up like a road race car basicly. Except for the lowering part. Im talking heavy duty radiator and oil cooler. I wouldnt do a tq verter becasue how many times are you acually gona launch the thing. It would be pretty kick *** to see a coup purge though.
O yea, im still waiting to see whos gona be the first one to call this guy out.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id set this car up like a road race car basicly. Except for the lowering part. Im talking heavy duty radiator and oil cooler. I wouldnt do a tq verter becasue how many times are you acually gona launch the thing.
Exactly. I wounldn't go the verter route either. Like he said ^^ a straight line launch from a dead stop on a good surface is probably pretty rare. If you don't already have them, oil cooler, PS cooler, and tranny cooler would be good ideas. A Brake upgrade is also a really good idea...at least drilled and slotted rotors on the front. That's how we have our Camaros set up and it seem to work pretty well -- but then again, they aren't modded
Old 10-18-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

If I were you, I'd head over to LG Motorsports and talk to Lou. His road racing experience is the closest anyone would have to the abuse the car would go through as a police vehicle.

Eric
Old 10-19-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have any of yall check out his profile? They have some nice rides the site.... I think I spotted a black WS6 too....

Speaking of cops with fast cars... oakridge (few miles east of me) had a b4c with a supercharger and several other mods for a while. (at least rumor said it was s/c'ed...)

Either way, have fun with it, and if we tell ya we are from ls1tech, you are gona hook us up right?
Old 10-19-2003, 02:19 PM
Teching In

i have pacestter longtube headers and they don't hang at all!!!! i have driven over some rough stuff (work at a few horse barns and own a farm) and it never touches the headers.

best part is they cost 450 for EVERYTHING!! (including a used set of O2 simms)
Old 10-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Either way, have fun with it, and if we tell ya we are from ls1tech, you are gona hook us up right?

i got busted "street racing" but i was behind the guy and he was a v6 and i'm a modded ls1 but he knew all about racing because he owned a mustang! LOL

you really need to hook me up with a get outta jail/ticket passes so i don't hafta go through that again!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lock up style torque converter will be fine for 65 mph crusing... 3000-3500 rpm stall
224 cam, and mack MID length headers will get ya all the power you need and none of the clearance issues...
you need a transcooler and 160 thermistat with programming for it for the long high rpm runs.

do all the free mods and asp pulleys...
bingo you have a almost 400 rwhp speeder buster that will not blowup on you(you know like trying to spray a nitro shot with your heart pounding in the middle of a chase and blowing the motor up...
Old 10-21-2003, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id set this car up like a road race car basicly. Except for the lowering part. Im talking heavy duty radiator and oil cooler. I wouldnt do a tq verter becasue how many times are you acually gona launch the thing.
Exactly. I wounldn't go the verter route either. Like he said ^^ a straight line launch from a dead stop on a good surface is probably pretty rare. If you don't already have them, oil cooler, PS cooler, and tranny cooler would be good ideas. A Brake upgrade is also a really good idea... at least drilled and slotted rotors on the front. That's how we have our Camaros set up and it seem to work pretty well -- but then again, they aren't modded

I would NOT subject drilled rotors to police duty. It is nearly 100% that they will crack with the kind of use they will see by a police unit. I'd upgrade the pads and use a high quality stock replacement rotor (Brembo OEM and Hawk HPS pads are a good start).

My thoughts.

Quick Reply: New Police Z28