Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New and looking for info

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post New and looking for info

Hello to all, I am a new ls1 owner but a very old drag racer. I come from a big Block Chevy 1 st gen Camaro back ground. I am a big N2O user and love it. I have run high 8's on a normal bases. I am getting into the ls-1 field and will be gettting all the info I can. My car is a 02 Trans Am WS6 with a 5.7 ls1 stock. It has a 4l65 auto with 10 bolt 3.42. I have added to this point sub frame connecters and a Sipon torque arm and lower control arms and rear control arm. It has nitrous on it " I put that on the next day" plus cold air intake and after market tuner. I would love any sugestion on my best bang for the buck you all give me. I also plan on driving on the street fairly normally. Thanks Jason
Old 05-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Teching In

gonna need headers, a rearend and a cam real quick
Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site, first lets do a little basic information. Unless you have changed the transmission and/or rear end then the transmission you have is a 4L60E and your rear end gear is either a 2.73 or a 3.23 rear. Only the manual cars have 3.42 rear ends in them that is unless you or somebody else swapped it out. The most basic mod there is for the money is the air lid. You said you have a cold air so you might already have this. The air lid is proven to be a very good mod with a price tag of around 100 bucks. I have seen dyno results as high as 12 or 13 HP with just one of these lids. Since your car is an 02 it already has an LS6 intake on it so you are ahead of the game there. Some other fairly basic mods would be some headers, however, with headers you will want a tune because headers tend to make them run rich. Since you are an automatic car if you are ever going to put a sticky tire on the car a torque converter would probably be the best bang for your buck. When my car was stock I picked up .6 of a second just from a converter, of course that was on ET streets which dead hook at the track, I went with a Yank SS3600. This converter will also allow for the spraying of nitrous and its tight enough you won't blow through it on the bottle.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Launching!

BBK race headers here with y-pipe, cat back Flow master. But what cam works best? Rear end is a real weak link. Is Ticks proformace a good one? and what of TSE cam kits.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Yes I have a lid. I was told it had 3.42 because of the WS6 rating...I will have to check. Is there any way to see the diffrents of a 4l60 and 4l65?