Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Gal with questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Vixen
Well it is a manual DD. I am a strip vs street kind of gal. Just seen to many car loves messed up from street racing. I go on fun runs with my group, but tend to stay back vs getting in and having someone slam into the back of me. LOL I just ran last night (still stock) and got a 13.50 @ 106.44. I also have 460 compound tires on now since I drive so far to work and home. I am a little worried about doing to much to her since she does have 87K on the motor already. But any ideas and help would be great! Thanks and pics should be up! haha
Well what I personally did was go on corvette forums and looked through people selling parts to find good deals. I got a ecs paxton novi kit, lg pro longtube headers, ecs alky injection kit, boost/af gauges, and a spec stage 3+ clutch for $6500 total for $11k+ in parts, then installed everything with a friend. I have about 580rwhp and 520rwtq. I tuned my car without the meth because even though it can add quite a bit of hp if I did tune with it, I only wanted it for a safety precaution. I also had a mild tune because my car is also a DD, so I could easily get 750 rwhp with out changing out my pulley or modding my car anymore if I wanted to. My car feels like stock when I don't get into it and can break the tires (315 BFG DRs) loose all the way through 3rd with no problems when I step in it. I really enjoy my set-up and would recommend it to anyone.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

vararam
ls6 intake
long tubes
Catless X
02+ Z06 stock catback (sounds badass when you do engine work!)
Tune

if thats not enought just pick up a 100 nitrous kit...

welcome to the addiction of the ls1
Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Default head and cam mods

you should look up late model racecraft. They are located in houston and have a great rep and tons of experience with ls engines
Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Id just finish out the exhaust with headers, get a decent intake manifold, fast is pricey but well worth it. Leave the stock heads and get a decent time proven cam such as a 224R or 228R, or something similar in size. There is a C5 vette around post here that has ported stock heads and a V2 cam running 10.50's. So there is a ton of potential if modded correctly. Dont worry about mileage so much as long as it was well taken care of, there are a ton of LS1's with 150+ miles still getting sprayed on/boosted/cammed.
I really appreciate all of your help! I talked to that guy about the cam he had and is giving me a deal, but I am just not sure if I need to do that one or the 224. I am not real sure on the difference. Can you give me some pros and cons on each....
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

i'm just glad to hear your not in a ford anymore
Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Well what kind of power do you want? How much money do you plan on spending? If its 5k+ i would look on corvette forums and look at s/c kits, more bang for the buck + better drivability than a extreme head/cam package. If you're going to buy headers i'd suggest you get lg pro longtubes. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Honestly I am not looking for crazy power for a DD. Once I get this payed off I will turn it into a machine, but right now I am just want something that sounds good rolling off the line and that enought power to be mid to low 12s. I am starting up the car fund for this car by selling the parts I was able to take off my lightning when they brought it to me on a fork lift at the auto auction. haha Right now I am trying to sell my SCT tuner, a cobra r hood, and a couple of guages. So if any of you have Ford friends let me know! haha I want to get this vette rolling!
Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c5z28
Hey again,
My question is if you will pass with headers or if you care about passing? Headers are a great start and help w/ mpg's as long as you keep the foot out of it(like anything else). You can pick up an ls-6 manifold for 8-12hp roughly. If you can't do headers then a cheater cam(like 215/230 117lsa) to work with the manifolds has a real nice smooth idle and builds good power close to the 224 just doesn't have quite the power under the curve(it's a smog cam)
Since it sounds like you care about mpg's with your tire selection maybe you might prefer headers and manifold and put on some swaybars for handling on those runs with your group.

Well passing or not passing isnt really a big deal for me. I took my cobra to NTB before and batted my eyes and passed with no cats and if that fails I have a shop I can take it to. Also the tires were bought with me not being a fan of the vette and thinking I would never race it...just drive it back and forth to work. I was in mourning over the lightning still and didn't really want anything to do with the vette, but since I took it down the track last week I have a little crush on it now haha. So your suggesting the headers and manifold. Are there any certain brands that you would suggest?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blown99bergerssclone
welcome to the sight...and thats considered relatively low miles if maintained and driver proper.....i got 145k and over 100 bottles out of a ls1 b4 procharging it....good luck and welcome to the other side lol
Well I was a really good driver on her until two weeks ago when i took her to the track...now that I know she has a little get up and go I have been playing a little bit more often now I am not planning on her having any bottles in her...baby or otherwise LAMO! And thanks for the welcome to the dark side LOL
Old 06-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by transwiz
Welcome to the site.A woman and a vette,totally cool combination.That's not a lot of miles for an LS1.How fast do you want to go,how much money do you want to spend?I would do some bolt ons first and go from there.(ls6 intake, headers,K&N,etc)
Then go from there.
Well I am glad you like the combination....I am still getting used to it! LOL In the long run I am not sure what her price tag will be, but I planning on doing her like I did my lightning....buy parts here and there. Plan as best as I can to do the right mods before I have to pay for a tune or pay for a retune.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mulalleybs
Well what I personally did was go on corvette forums and looked through people selling parts to find good deals. I got a ecs paxton novi kit, lg pro longtube headers, ecs alky injection kit, boost/af gauges, and a spec stage 3+ clutch for $6500 total for $11k+ in parts, then installed everything with a friend. I have about 580rwhp and 520rwtq. I tuned my car without the meth because even though it can add quite a bit of hp if I did tune with it, I only wanted it for a safety precaution. I also had a mild tune because my car is also a DD, so I could easily get 750 rwhp with out changing out my pulley or modding my car anymore if I wanted to. My car feels like stock when I don't get into it and can break the tires (315 BFG DRs) loose all the way through 3rd with no problems when I step in it. I really enjoy my set-up and would recommend it to anyone.
Thanks so much to everyone for all of your suggestions and advice!!!! You guys are great! Before I decide on any major purchases I will post up and get everyones opinion.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Well passing or not passing isnt really a big deal for me. I took my cobra to NTB before and batted my eyes and passed with no cats and if that fails I have a shop I can take it to. Also the tires were bought with me not being a fan of the vette and thinking I would never race it...just drive it back and forth to work. I was in mourning over the lightning still and didn't really want anything to do with the vette, but since I took it down the track last week I have a little crush on it now haha. So your suggesting the headers and manifold. Are there any certain brands that you would suggest?
If you're looking at headers I would definately reccomend lg pro longtubes. Was pretty easy to install also.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hello, i have an article "ls1 dos & donts" plus i have the corvette bible i could fax you the info if you pm me a fax #. catback (muffler exhaust), longtube headers if legal in your state, cam tr224 is a good medium cam. ls6 heads (i went budget #243's about $1100 ported). then you must get a tune for proper AIR/FUEL ratio. cheers! a good book is dyno proven performance for ls1/ls6
Old 06-18-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh, go big or go home Just kidding...
Like others have said; that 224 cam, LS6 manifold, exhaust and tune alone will easily get you into low 12's with even a decent run(with tires). Plus great drivability. Welcome to the site
Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the said 224 cam, headers, exhaust, ect ect ect and my turd runs 11.90's with stock heads. i thought the ls6 intake was from factory on 2000 and newer camaros and vettes?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

I can't believe noone has caught onto the multiple replies for her to get an LS6 intake when her car would clearly have one from the factory! Forgetaboutit! Leave the intake intact and add the Vararam, Exhaust, and Longtubes and eventually a nice 230s cam andyou'll wet yourself just turning the key. Badaboom-badabing., done!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
I can't believe noone has caught onto the multiple replies for her to get an LS6 intake when her car would clearly have one from the factory! Forgetaboutit! Leave the intake intact and add the Vararam, Exhaust, and Longtubes and eventually a nice 230s cam andyou'll wet yourself just turning the key. Badaboom-badabing., done!
She said the car is a 2000, so no it WOULD NOT have a LS6 intake from the factory
Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

welcome ad as everyone says the longtubes and intake and a tune cant do u wrong.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:53 PM

Im new too! welcome!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you could care less about smog but want the driveability a 228 cam is the biggest well mannered proven street cam. The ls-6 manifold you can pick up used for around $300 as for the headers you have the "corvette tax" any name brand is fine you might get lucky and pick up some used headers on here kooks, qtp, arh.
To the header and manifold suggestion-I suggested that because it gives you around 30rwhp and keeps your mpg's intact, the cam I just wasn't sure when you said you hang in the back of the pack on the runs, the 228 or smaller will keep your mpg's in the mid 20's on the freeway.

Last edited by c5z28; 06-19-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
She said the car is a 2000, so no it WOULD NOT have a LS6 intake from the factory
Dude, this is a Vette , not a TA/Camaro! They did have LS6 intake LS1s in them. They came factory on TA/CAmaros in 01. Vette engines are always in Vettes before F-bodies for at least a couple years.