Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

First message of alot more ... if the engine isnt blown

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First message of alot more ... if the engine isnt blown

Hello, Name is Allan but everyone calls me Stu. I just picked up what was one of my dream cars and Im so happy to have that big, great sounding hammer under the hood. 1999 TransAm Convertible w/o the ws-6 which I dont really care for. I really like the lines of the car without the ram air.

Anyway... the car has 140k on clock but upon looking at the car ... it was so clean and drove wonderfully. Engine was strong and it was nothing like any other car that I have ever driven with that amount of miles. Ya, it needs a few things here and there... tires, fix the saggy roof ... but really ... otherwise this car was really nice.
So, (here comes the tale of terror) I purchased the car for 5300 and drove the car from Lordstown, OH to Pittsburgh, PA. Most of the way there is was quite fantastic... had a buddy follow me in his Grand Prix GXP and the TA put a good hurt on that thing. So half way "Of Course" I start hearing a wrap in the engine. I pulled over on the side of the road immediately and checked the oil ... good ... checked oil pressure ... eh not so good but, about 10 psi at idle and 15 or so at 2k.
Limped the car the rest of the way home thinking the motor was blown and got to my buddies house that was about 20 miles closer than my house ... knocked the oil out of it ... checked the magnetic end of the oil plug and ... didnt see any metal. PHEEWW.
So I started the car back up after the oil change and ... volla I have 40-50 lbs of oil pressure. Im haapy as a clam as the lifter noise that I have decided the noise was .. went away.
On a mile or two test drive .. the oil pressure droped to zero so ... once again ... limped the car home and there it sits.
So... ordered a new oil pump and pickup ... going to get new bearings if it needs them and slap it back together and prey.

I love the car but Im scared Im going to have a driveway weight on my hands without the 3 or 4 k its going to take to rebuild the plant. I hope its not all that bad and I have the opertunity to write a few more of these posts.

Funny thing is that I know im not the only one who started this forum this way.
Anyway .... HI
Old 04-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation heres the nastyness

see the crap that was in the oil pan. WOW ... never seen anything like it in my life. The pickup was sorrounded by this stuff and starved the motor for oil. I couldnt believe it.
Attached Thumbnails First message of alot more ... if the engine isnt blown-oilpan1.jpg   First message of alot more ... if the engine isnt blown-oilpan2.jpg  

Last edited by Stuinkuwait; 04-04-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Here is a look at the car after much work
Attached Thumbnails First message of alot more ... if the engine isnt blown-car1.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

that is a sleek looking car, i really like those wheels on a vert...especially with the top down...hope everything works out for you, oh and welcome btw!