Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new to the LS1 world, a few small issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default new to the LS1 world, a few small issues

Well figure I might as well make an intro since I'll be bothering everyone on here for info lol. Picking up a 99 firebird this weekend and looking to do a pretty decent build on it. I've had my share of high hp rwd cars in the past, had recently moved to fwd turbo 4-bangers (regrettable). But now I've seen the light and decided to move into the newer technology. I was big into nitrous and carb'd sbc for a long time, and since I started tuning fuel injection, been obsessed with it ever since. Just put my cobalt back to stock (previously 550+whp on pump gas and 28.5 psi) Which I know a few people from here have seen at random meets and whatnot (Kurt I know you're on here somewhere, met you up by john powell's). But now that's back to daily driver status and all attention will be paid to the fireturd. Also just got rid of my 450whp 93 rx-7 to fund this build.
Anyway on to the good stuff, as of right now plans with the car are the following. Built iron block 408 w/ported l92's, Single BW s475 front mounted, TH400 w/3800 rpm stall, built 9" (debating on either 3.08's or 3.42 for the gears). Qa1's all around, tubular everything for the suspension (need to get that weight down). tubular k-member of course, stripping the interior (if anyone needs anything pic's will be up this weekend once the car is delivered).
Car has some issues, but I think they might just be a blown clutch and it needs brakes and it has long tubes and some real loud exhaust on it. I am trying to get it out before the tracks close this year on spray just to see what it can do (if it dies it dies lol).
Anyway, I'll keep updating this thread as parts/work get done.

Last edited by black06g85; 09-25-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

well car was delivered last night (its a 98 trans am btw)
here's a few pictures of it:

I gotta say that gmmg exhaust is goddamn loud, but I like it. Has pacesetter longtubes, K&N, some aftermarket lid, no brakes lol.
Ssbc brakes on the way, need to redo the rear suspension

few issues with the car though,
Need to replace window motor on driverside
driverside headlight wouldn't pop up, so this morning I did the free fix, works great, but now the passenger side won't work, so no idea on that
Interior needs a little work, but it;s getting gutted so I really don't care.
I need a nice 305 40 18 tire for the back (z06 replicas)
For some reason it seems the clutch doesn't fully disengage, took it for a spin this morning (no hard driving as there are barely any brakes) and it will sometimes grind going into 1st gear, but it wouldn't go into 3rd until after a few tries then was fine. I'm leaning towards hydraulic issues (ordering tick adjustable today) I tuned this car about a year ago, just a quick update to turn off egr codes and get rid of the skip shift crap, but will be going at it hardcore next week once it's registered and has brakes, so if anyone has any tips and tricks, I would love to hear it.

well thanks for looking, looking forward to getting this thing done this winter, well at least the drivetrain.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice TA
Old 09-25-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Ctha39NFw
Old 09-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Launching!

nice and welcome! do you have pics of the car from futher aways so i can see what the ta's look like with the zo6 wheels?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not at the moment but I will tomorrow when its light out again, plus I gotta register it tomorrow anyway
Old 10-09-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well brakes are fixed, installed the ls6 manifold today, was much easier than I expected, under 2 hours for my first one. Tomorrow she gets new u joints and the tick master cylinder and chromoly lcas. Will update tomorrow, hopefully get a video too
Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM

Nice car! I'd be curious to see a distance shot too...
Old 10-11-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry for the delay on that, been working on the car most the time. I'll have it out on the dyno this saturday coming up, so I'll be able to snap some good shots, I know a friend or two will be out there with a dslr so I'll get some good pics.
Plus LOUD screaming dyno video. Hopefully this thing can make at least 340whp with what it has now, the guy the runs the dyno is pretty cool and lets me mess with my tune btwn pulls, need to go in and kill the coolant temp adders and whatnot since my ecm is seeing -38 degrees lol.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

ugh well more issues, went to the dyno saturday to get an afr reading and it's off the scale lean like @20:1. I dunno what;s causing it, but I guess it's time to start the winter tear down. need to hook up my fuel pressure gauge and see whats going on up top, car still made 283 whp lol and had no kr which I find very odd.
also need to redo this pos factory pcv system since it's blowing oil into the intake at wot.
but at least I fixed the wheel hop lol.

so far list of things to do over the next few weeks:
shocks
u joints
trans mount
tick master (still haven't had time to install it)
new o2 sensors
new coolant temp sensor
install nitrous kit
might be picking up a cam and springs in the next couple of weeks too.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

well finally figured out some things on the car
it is finally running at full potential and on 8 cylinders again

ended up there was a broken injector harness on cylinder 5, it looked plugged in but I guess was only firing intermittently, yesterday I decided to take it out for a nice 100 mile round trip to the other store I work at and finally the harness let go completely, flashing check engine light. Got to work and the plug had finally come all the way off.
but I had to push the pins back in and now all is well. neighbors did not appreciate the home coming burnout I guess lol.
just did new o2 sensors, poly trans mount, did the chromoly lca's a few weeks back, doing the rear shocks today.
I can't believe that was the damn problem, I was getting a cel occasionally for a cylinder 5 misfire, just never could figure it out, guess that;s why it was so lean on the dyno.
Thing pulls pretty good now, definitely a night and day difference.
Can't wait to start doing some real work to this thing

also was the cause of the low rpm vibration, she runs nice and smooth now
Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

not much new to report, car is stuck in the garage due to the non stop snow lol.
here's some of the further away shots

manifold swap pics

and it's winter home

god I can't wait for the snow to melt.
picking up my nitrous kit today, maybe start on that tomorrow morning, doing the tick master finally next weekend, other than that, just need to get back on the dyno and finish fine tuning it. Hoping to hit @340whp or so as it sits on motor. probably run a 125 shot on it for now until I pull and build the motor in the spring
Old 01-15-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Nice, what area of NY you from?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live up in newburgh now, originally from queens.

well a little update, got bored with the car already lol. So truck manifolds arrive today, and teardown begins in a week or two.
Have a gt4088 1.30 a/r left over from my rx-7 I'm going to put on for now since this is going to be an extreme budget build on a stock motor, but will be spacing for a much larger turbo once I get the other motor built (still not 100% on that yet).
Hopefully have some pics up in the next few weeks, I'm dying to play with a turbo'd v8.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

shame you won't be able to run high boost on that thing, turbo really wakes up at about 18 or so. GL with it. still very undecided which route imma go with mine.