Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

17 year old fresh meat!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011 | 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
The fast and the consistent drive auto's, the guys in the manuals just wanna have fun.

Definitely, put a stall converter on your list of mods. One of the top 5 things I ever did to my Z
What does it do?
Old 06-28-2011 | 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RandomActs13x
Oh and hey, i'll be happy to teach you how to drive a stick

And I mean that completely nonsexual
Thanks but I don't want to travel to some unknown city to learn how to drive manually. Thanks tho.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T.A.Chick.
Thanks but I don't want to travel to some unknown city to learn how to drive manually. Thanks tho.
What exhaust did you say you had? Borla?

And do you still have the Cat convertors on it?
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrbonds
What exhaust did you say you had? Borla?

And do you still have the Cat convertors on it?
No I want the borla one. I currently have SLP loudmouth.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:16 PM
Teching In

What does it do?
Stalls (torque converters) can be lil confusing sometimes. But to put it simply the stall helps with your launch. A stock stall is between 1600-1800 i believe, so depending on your cam and whatever other modifications you have certain levels of stall will either benefit or hinder your launch. If its stock you don't want to put a 4000 stall in.

When you launch, it basically lets the car keep from launching until your at a higher RPM. When you have your foot on the brake and the other giving it gas you can feel the car get into a pounce position at a very low rpm (stock) but with a stall you can get the rpms up higher so when you do launch your closer to your optimum RPM. With a stall too high then, from what i've witness from some buddies cars, its like trying to take off in a higher gear and the car doesnt have enough power to get out of its own way. But like i said, it's a little confusing. Best bet is to let one of the experts on the board give you advise as to what stall to get.

Last edited by RandomActs13x; 06-28-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: someone correct me if im wrong, this is jsut my .02
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:19 PM
Teching In

No I want the borla one. I currently have SLP loudmouth.
The SLP's sound really good. Why would you ever want to change it? Just too loud?
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ROLRACR
The SLP's sound really good. Why would you ever want to change it? Just too loud?
They do sound good but tend to get a little raspy. Especially if you plan on getting headers or anything, they they're just plain LOUD (I loved mine like that) but the rasp gets a little unbearable. Corsa is the most desireable exhaust, Borla is very quiet (IMO) but a great sound, even with headers and ORY (thats my system). And Flowmasters are too restrictive but have a great sound
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:27 PM
Teching In

I didn't realize how good it sounded until I heard it from a distance, but I want more of a growl.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:30 PM
Teching In

I didn't realize how good it sounded until I heard it from a distance, but I want more of a growl.
I have headers, no cats, ypipe and a flowmaster. It sounds good, but kind of raspy.

I know my other v8 car has Bassani on it and it sounds wicked. I want my Trans Am to sound the same.

I read it wrong, sorry, but when you do get Borla, post a sound clip. I am interested to hear what it sounds like.

My ex husband works in an exhaust shop and is going to make me a true dual set up if I want. Just can't decide.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:36 PM
Teching In

I have headers, no cats, ypipe and a flowmaster. It sounds good, but kind of raspy.

I know my other v8 car has Bassani on it and it sounds wicked. I want my Trans Am to sound the same.

I read it wrong, sorry, but when you do get Borla, post a sound clip. I am interested to hear what it sounds like.

My ex husband works in an exhaust shop and is going to make me a true dual set up if I want. Just can't decide.
It may be a while, but I sure will. I still want to do some more looking around and see which exhaust gives me more of a growl.
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Stalls (torque converters) can be lil confusing sometimes. But to put it simply the stall helps with your launch. A stock stall is between 1600-1800 i believe, so depending on your cam and whatever other modifications you have certain levels of stall will either benefit or hinder your launch. If its stock you don't want to put a 4000 stall in.

When you launch, it basically lets the car keep from launching until your at a higher RPM. When you have your foot on the brake and the other giving it gas you can feel the car get into a pounce position at a very low rpm (stock) but with a stall you can get the rpms up higher so when you do launch your closer to your optimum RPM. With a stall too high then, from what i've witness from some buddies cars, its like trying to take off in a higher gear and the car doesnt have enough power to get out of its own way. But like i said, it's a little confusing. Best bet is to let one of the experts on the board give you advise as to what stall to get.

Very good explanation there^^

Basically, in near stock form a max of a 3500 stall is awesome. Almost unnoticeable in normal everyday driving but very noticeable when performance driving.

The point of a stall is to get you as close to your "powerband" (where the car is making peak power) as possible before launching (light goes green). 1800RPM (stock stall speed) is no where near your powerband at any stage of a build. If you take your car to a dyno and look at the graph you'll be able to see where the powerband is specifically for your car.

Like I said one of the best mods I ever did to my car
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:48 PM
Teching In

As for my car (you can see my mod list in my sig) I was on both a budget and its my daily driver. So I only have a 2500 stall (which I have yet to test out since my tranny is still being built) but the price range from 2500 to even 2800 or 3200 jumps from $290 (mine) to almost $400 minimum. So they're not cheap, and ill be damned if they're not heavy as hell lol
Old 06-28-2011 | 01:51 PM
Teching In

That's what my setup is:

Long Tube headers (LTs), off-road y-pipe (ORY), and borla cat-back

The () are just incase our newcomers isn't familiar with the terminology
Old 06-28-2011 | 02:32 PM
On The Tree

oh its some huge number, it looks like a phone number.
haha this was how stupid i was before i joined LS1Tech, now look at all the mods i have on my car
I dont mean to offend, im just showing you how much you learn from an amazing car website with people always ready to help you out with your problems
Old 06-28-2011 | 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Enough.

This is the one and only warning I will give to everyone posting in this thread: clean it up, and keep it on track. Very simple.
I wasn't kidding about this.

I've come close to locking this thread a couple times already. If the comments about AOL chat rooms, "make me a sandwich", flame bait comments, etc. continue, I will shut this down.

This thread is on it's final chance. One more bad apple WILL cause this to end. No exceptions. I will not give any more warnings, and I will not reply to any PMs to reopen the thread.

That is all.
Old 06-28-2011 | 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Greetings and welcome to the board. Some very helpfull sites to check out are!

www.ls1howto.com is a great place to start.
www.installuniversity.com was one of my favorites when got my first LS1 Camaro
www.ls1sounds.com is a site dedicated to how different exhausts/cams sound with different mufflers ect. I definately agree that the loudmouth needs to go.
And if you get confused don't feel bad just use the search its your best option sometimes.
Old 06-28-2011 | 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Oh and hey, i'll be happy to teach you how to drive a stick

And I mean that completely nonsexual
I taught my ex how to drive one decently. It was rough the first few times lol
Old 06-28-2011 | 04:25 PM
Teching In

Guys I dnt want my thread to b frozen,
Old 06-28-2011 | 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

This chick loves the attention.. Keep going
Old 06-28-2011 | 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Look into stainless works cat back it's pricey but an excellent growl. Based on the same setup as the gmmg minus the rasp and plus a bigger diameter pipe. 3.5/3 vs3/2.5.

Quick Reply: 17 year old fresh meat!