Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Brand new - wanting to do fuelie motor in 60's chevy van

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new - wanting to do fuelie motor in 60's chevy van

I bought my 66 chevy van with the plan to install a late model fuel injected motor. Pretty overwhelmed at this point trying to figure out all the differences between ls1, lq4,lq9 etc etc... still doing some reading and thinking about which motor/tranny to buy - I am wanting around 300-350hp with the best mileage I can reasonably expect. I just finished a big block carbed 67 nova, wanting to build the van as a cool shop truck. I can weld,fab no problem but am clueless on this late model stuff. Hoping I can get some advice and education here as I start this journey on this latest project. I am from Iowa. If anyone cares to share insights or know of nyone who has done this swap into an old van please chime in - i have lots to learn.

Thanks in advance - Bob
Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome. I have an 99 LS1 Camaro S/S 305 hp stock engine and tranny, in my 98 Chevy Astro van. It weighs 2 ton and still gets 18-20 mpg, about the same as the 4.3 V6 - that it came with. The throttle response, of these motors, is awesome. My friend has a blown 396 prostreet 69 Chevelle, I beat him out of hole.

I dont know the differences between motors either, but suggest getting as much from the donor car as possible.

There is a van website, vannin.com, that may be of some help too.