Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Another WI Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another WI Newbie

Hey everone. I have been cruising around the forums for a little bit now and its about time I say hello! And introduce my project, and it is a project!

To make a long story short the powerplant (a stock rebuilt 307 bored to 312 YA BABY!) just blew out the rear main seal after an all to short WI. summer of cruising. So, during the process of researching a cheap Gen I small block build up I came across LS1Tech and the evil monkeys in my brain started turning the gears in a new direction...a salvage yard 5.3 build up on a real BUDGET.

Here is the quick details I have began planning:
-Junkyard 5.3 with under 150K
-Edelbrock LS Carb intake
-Re-use my current Edelbrock 650
-Design a fuel system around the stock tank.
-Re-use the stock TH350, while searching for a performance prepped TH350.
-Re-Use the current radiator (Aluminum at a later date)
-Design a cooling system around a Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan.
-Engine mount plates to maintain stock tranny location (1" setback right?)
-GTO pan and pick up, or cutdown truck pan
-Budget friendly F-body headers altered to fit

I have always been a build it over buy it kind of guy. I love the challenge and the pride in doing a job myself, plus you learn so much more! And its not like I have the money anyway!

Like I said. I am ready to learn! I appreciate any suggestions/ideas/comments you guys can offer.

I have also joined Steve's Nova Site and will be posting an intro there soon.

Here are a few pictures of the Nova for your enjoyment/consideration. Thanks a lot, and I am glad to be here!
Attached Thumbnails Another WI Newbie-imag0078.1.jpg   Another WI Newbie-2.jpg   Another WI Newbie-3.jpg   Another WI Newbie-4.jpg   Another WI Newbie-img_0102.2.jpg  

Old 10-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Newb
Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to LS1Tech. Your build sounds pretty close to my original build plans. I'm only changed because I lucked into a T56 for a song. I started with a 2500 mile LS1 long block from a corvette. Some parts I used that you may want to think about:
  • Edelbrock long tube headers (these don't hang too low, which is good because my car is lowered)
  • If you're on a very tight budget, consider sticking with the stock oil pan, but read the various threads here before you get one. Not all will fit your application (in fact, most won't. I got a Corvette batwing pan to fit my car, but I'm pretty sure it would tangle up with your steering)
  • LSx to TH350 Flexplate/spacer/crank bolts (needed because there is a .4" difference between LS and SB blocks, with regard to connecting to the trans. You can try to "make a kit" but you will still need a spacer and bolts. If you go that route, make sure you get a flat LS flexplate and not the curved one. Curved=PITA and really doesn't fit right. It's that, or you can buy / trade for my old setup. I don't need since I'm going manual)
  • solid/weld-in motor mounts (just makes the job easier - my original bolt-is were a major league pain to put in and get out).
  • A new GM LS7 Front drive accessory kit (the stock F-Body serpentine system has the alternator down low, and you may have to notch your frame to make it fit. The truck setup has things up way high, and probably will hit your hood)
  • Aluminum radiator - Want cheap? I got a fourth Gen plastic/aluminum radiator for my 1981 TA for $109 delivered from Rock Auto. Make sure to measure the opening in your core support and look for a radiator that will fit that hole. Good candidates: 80's GM trucks, 1996 Pontiac Transport, 3rd or 4th gen F-body, S10 Pickup

I have the Edelbrock carb intake (see pic), but I'm using a Holley Commander 950 EFI setup on top of that. I did that because A) I had the EFI from a previous project B) I wanted the Trans Am shaker to work/look right, and C) I'm road racing, and EFI behaves better on sustained hard corners.

Anyway, good to see you here and happy building.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice 81TA.

The Edelbrock headers do seem to be a popular choice, and if my first idea does not pan out I will probably go that way. But before I plop down some serious dough on pipes I am going to try a set of F-body headers. Several people seemed to have success with them after re-orienting the drivers side collector.

Good advice on the oil pan, I did not know that the different truck pans varied so much. I will invest more time into research. But I think my best bet it to score a GTO pan/pickup. (I am watching the classifieds)

I was planning to utilize the stock truck accesory mounting with the alternator up high, but you bring up a good point with hood clearance. Though I am pretty sure I will have to get a cowl hood to fit the higher intake. What setup are you running there? That looks pretty clean. PS, I am a function over form kinda guy, so I don't mind the "ugly" truck setup.

This summer I replaced the old sacked out rubber engine mounts with poly "clam shell" style ones. I would like to reuse them with engine mount plates if possible. I am also pretty hesitant on solid mounts as this is a street cruiser that will see little track time. I hate the thought of putting all that vibration and force directly into the engine cross member.

Good advice on the stock rad, I am pretty sure my single core! .75" thick rad will not survive 350hp in the WI summer heat! I will keep my eyes out for one with the correct core size!

By the way, I suppose I should state that the Nova is a 99% cruiser 1% drag strip runner. Also before I start to make more serious power I have a laundry list of upgrades I need to make like disc front brakes, sub frame connectors, performance prepped trans, suspension bushings, solid unibody mounts and 5 point restraints because I hate sliding around!!

BTW, what kind of cooling fan are you running?? Can't see any in the picture.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cruisin, I'm running a GMPP 19155067 Front Drive serpentine system, which I bought new from GM for around $700. It came with an AC pump, which I didn't use. There is supposedly a GM part number for the same system sans AC, but I have yet to see anyone carrying it. If you want a new GM serpentine system, I suggest google-searching the part number, and comparison shopping. There is a CTS-V belt system available as GMPP 19155066. Look at pics and see which will work best for you.

I have two fans in my car. There is a small "pusher" fan which I yanked from a 90's Honda. The main fan is a puller that I got from a late 90s Bonneville. Monte Carlos, Grand Prixs and some Cadillacs have the same fan. It could probably do all the cool by itself, but the Honda fan was only $5, so I figured WTF, why not?

Speaking of clearing the cowl hood, it was a royal bitch getting mine to clear the flat shaker hood. For starters, my engine was offset to the passenger side 1/2", so I had to use an offset air cleaner assembly to re-center the scoop. Thankfully, the Olds 403 style Trans Am air cleaner IS offset and takes a standard 14" air cleaner. Look carefully at my pic and you'll see the carb stud is not going through the middle of the K&N lid.

After that, I had to be able to close the hood and not hit the scoop. Lot's of time went into figuring that PITA out. I eventually designed a slip fit scoop that didn't need any underlying bracketry. Below the hood, it is 1/2" shorter than stock and the hood clears my scoop by 1/8". Good enough for me :-)

Brake-wise, I went with Wilwood 12" brakes in front, and stock WS6 Discs in back. The car has Global West Tubular A-Arms in front, poly bushings everywhere, and sub frame connectors. All of the frame / bumper forward of the core support is aluminum. With the battery in the trunk, 'glass hood, factory AC delete, and LS1/T56, the front end weighs about 350 pounds less than a typical 2nd gen TA. I have to cut half a coil from my front springs to make the car have the right stance.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

81TA'

Wow! Nice work and creative problem solving! 350lb is a significant weight reduction. Every now and again while planning the Nova's future I start to meandor down the auto cross/road racing path and start planning fiberglass body parts, full cages, 4 link suspensions...I'm sure you know the feeling.

But before it ever gets to far I remember that I want to keep the Nova just boulevard cruiser. Fun to drive, reliable and MOSTLY original.

Along the lines of my next project I am torn between either an LS powered Datsun 240Z or a XJ Cherokee. I grew up in WA going trailing and exploring in my buddies jeeps, bronco II, Cherokees and suburbans and I LOVED it. At the same time in college I was a Formula SAE kid and had many friends on the team that road raced, another fun hobby. OOPPSS, just caught myself day dreaming.

Anyway, back out to the garage. I plan to pull off the fenders and start prepping to pull that old 307 out and make some room for my 5.3. I will be starting a build thread soon and a PhotoBucket account to go along with it. Later 81TA.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, BTW, that is the best use I have ever seen for a Dianelle Steel novel I have ever seen. I am sure the wife/GF was happy about that one. Which, kind of makes it all that much better!

Quick Reply: Another WI Newbie