Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie in South Carolina (Chevelle on fire)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Newbie in South Carolina (Chevelle on fire)

This is my first post as I have just recently joined. The information available here is amazing and has already contributed to the challenges of swapping the old 350/350 in my 70 Chevelle to an 02 Camaro SS ls1 with 4L60e. I spent 4 years restoring the body and interior and got it on the road Thanksgiving. Only to see it practically burn to the ground Saturday before Christmas. While adjusting the float on the 650 Holley a rag ignited and engulfed the engine compartment in flames. Two extinguishers later I managed to get it out with a whole lot less damage than it could have been. The distributor,wiper motor,ac harness, and main engine harness were melted. My newly painted hood blistered and peeled.
So a friend who had been doing a ls swap in his 68 Nova called after the fire. Seems he abandoned his plans to finish the swap and made me a deal on his package. It included the 02 ls1 and T56 with 53k miles on it. A complete fuel system with a new tank, Pump,sending unit for Dakota digital dash, correct filter,braided lines with AN fittings. The tank has mods done including baffle.
It also has the engine harness and ecm that was sent to Speartech for mods,deletions,labeling and ecm reprogram.
It came with Speedway racing mount plates and New Dynotech 1 3/4" long tube ceramic coated headers. Unfortunately they will not fit my Chevelle. So if anybody needs Nova ls swap headers let me know.
Since the fire I have removed the front clip,tank ,350/350 and front suspension. I have been mocking up the mounts but don't have the tranny yet. I decided to run a 4l60e that I got from a friends salvage yard. It is now rebuilt and ready for me to pick it up.Hopefully I can get it next week. By the way, I also have the T56 setup for sale if anyone needs one.
I really wasn't planning on tearing the drive-train out so soon but a big fire will shake things up in a hurry. I was planning on upgrading the suspension first but now I'm just gonna have to get it all done before it get's back on the road. I have the BMR pro 2 suspension package that we'll get installed as we do the swap. It really needed some help with the handling. Hopefully I have chosen well.
Thats about it for now and thanks to all you talented folks for the wealth of information on this forum. I will be posting some pics soon on our progress.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie in South Carolina (Chevelle on fire)-my-camera-508.jpg  

Last edited by my70; 01-08-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Add pics
Old 01-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

Great taste in Chevelle color!!!

I would love to LSX / T56 my 1970. Please start a thread in Hybrid when get the ball rolling.

Best,
CP
Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Great looking rides CP. I am in full swing on the conversion but have been lacking in the photo department. Currently all the drive train,suspension and fuel system is out. Been working all week on the new tank, fuel system. Had to cut the trunk and fab a raised box to accommodate the AN lines. It also gives me access from inside the trunk. Got the BMR suspension kit in this week and have all the arms bolted on but leaving the rear out until I finish the metal work for the trunk. Its really nice stuff. Made a lot of progress this week so I'll try to get a thread going with some pics. It's going to be a long process but I enjoy the challenge. A different kind of stress from the everyday grind for sure. Keep ya posted.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Default Pics

http://photobucket.com/My70project
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I have been there before last year I watched my WS6 go up in flames I got her out got some pics up in a forum in the forced induction section. Since then I got her together again. It will work out my project did it took a year and about 5k to rebuild, paint repair and relocate the turbo to the front.

Love the cars by the way. My first car was a 68 A body, GTO so I know the cars well did a full frame up restoration on her. Then bought the WS6 been working on my late dad's 67 goat this past weekend. If you got any questions or need help turning a wrench I am located in summerville. I am good at body work too ICAR certified actually its what I did for a living before I joined the navy so shoot me a PM if you need a second hand sometime.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Nice 70, but no place for an LS1. 496 BBC!!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Welcome