Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

new to site from Ky

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to site from Ky

Hey new to the site like what I see so far.. Let me ask you guys some questions.. I recently bought an 01 ss with what I was told had a fresh stock engine in car.. So ran good,looked good and 300 miles later I spun a rod bearing according to my mechanic.. I am not real incline when it comes to in depth motor discussions but I do know the basics.. So once I contacted the previous owner about who supposively did the work and got his number I found out that he only purchased a used short block with 50,000 miles on it and swapped it out.. Also found out it was a 99 block instead of 01 not sure that matters..but anyway my questions are.. I was thinking of having the existing block bored,honed and stroked in 383 here at my local shop. And also have been looking at ebay and other sites on purchasing a short block already assembly.. What do you guys recommend? Who do you recommend? I have talked to a guy from thompsonmotorsports on ebay and have even considered going to an iron short block and going with 408 or 416 CI.. If I go with the 383 package The machining and parts and assembly of short block would be around 2500 dollars, but the already assembly 383 on ebay seemed to be alot higher.. The 2500 does not include removal or replacing engine.. My car has longtube headers, slp exhaust, z06 clutch, I am wanting to cam the car as well since motor will be apart, but can afford new heads at moment.. What do you recommend that would work best with stock heads, Can I do anything to current heads to help with horsepower.sorry for length, but really want to find out as much as I can since I only had 300 miles and having to spend this type of money.

Quick Reply: new to site from Ky