Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy from Wa just bought a LS1 bird

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from Wa just bought a LS1 bird

Hi everyone. I didnt plan on posting on the forums yet but Ive been looking around for a clutch and I know a lot of people sell stuff on here.

Anyway I just bought a 2000 Trans Am M6 with 71k miles for $7k. This will be my fourth fbody but my first LS1. I would like to copy and paste his CL add and see what you guys think. By the way when I test drove it, I didnt know the clutch was slipping and could have probably knocked off another few hundred. Although he already dropped it by 1k before I made the 2 hour trip to go see it.

"2000 NBM Pontiac Trans Am for sale, 71k miles. T-tops, 6-speed transmission. Performance mods include: Patriot performance stage 1 LS6 heads, LPE GT2-3 Camshaft "207/220 .571/.578 118.5 ICL, Harland Sharp 1.7 RR, Thunder-Racing Chromoly hardened push-rods, Ported LS6 Intake Manifold, Shaner S3 TB, MTI Lid, Pacesetter LT's, TSP True-dual exhaust. dynoed 393/372
Suspension/Chassis:
Eibach Pro-kit with Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks, UMI LCAs with relocation brackets, Subframe connectors, UMI panhard bar
Drivetrain:
Pro-5.0 with Lou Salzano Short-Stick, Spec Stage 2 clutch with billet steel flywheel, 01-02 GM master and slave cylinder. Motive 4:10 gears
Couple issues with the car, theres some paint cracking near the passenger side rear fender, A/C needs to be recharged, driver's side window tint is damaged, and the EVAP system is clogged so it has a little bit of trouble taking fuel."

I love the car its like a dark monster. But I cant really feel its power due to the clutch. And the way he did his exhaust is way to loud. Especially with short gears it will idle at 2k going 65 and I get a headache in about 2 minutes. He has true duals on it that end at the rear axle and dump exhaust to the floor. I want to make it quitter and replace the clutch probably with an LS6 or an LS7 clutch. With the exhaust I was thinking of just continuing the pipes all the way to the back like a normal exhaust and relocate the mufflers to stock location. What do you guys think? Also, with those mods, is that the kind of power I should be making? Not more? He said it was tuned also.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum dude. Well ya definatly got a great buy on it dude. As far as power is concerned im thinking your low for the mods you should be mid 400s with a good tune... my buddy is 422 rwhp without heads and an awesome tune. And i am 365 without h/c only 1.85 rockers and tune. Maybe take it to a guy ya trust and get a new tune see where ya at. Id continue the exhaust to the back tsp is a good exhaust. Haha i remember the dumped exhaust gets annoying at 70 with 4.10s.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely continue the exhaust to the rear. Also was wondering, how much does a good tune usually cost? Is the Fast system a good option?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like Nick's previous car. Where in WA are you located?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OMG this totally sounds very much like my ride when I got it lol...bad clutch, way too loud, 4.10 gears, etc...lol! Mine put dpwn 405 rwhp on one dyno and 460 rwhp on another, so bottom line...don't worry about the dyno number so much

Quick Reply: New guy from Wa just bought a LS1 bird