Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy, looking to buy my first Camaro or Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, looking to buy my first Camaro or Firebird

hey everyone, just found and joined this forum. Lots of information out there on Camaros and Firebirds, but it's not very organized. I've been looking around for a couple of months for a good used 1999-2002 Camaro SS or Firebird --maybe Formula or Firehawk. If anyone is willing to give me some good advice on what to look for and what I should be watching out for, like ensuring that it's a legitimate SS, etc. and what I should be willing to pay for a good example-- it would be greatly appreciated. I'm up in the air between buying a convertible or just going with the T-Tops-- anyone have any recommendations either way? I'm an Army Soldier and my family (wife and two boys) travel / move ALOT, so durability and safety are very important. Looking forward to learning from you guys and gals and seeing your rides! Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Not a expert but I bring one along when I go car shopping. I have a 2000 t/a I was lucky the buyer had the window sticker. All the options are listed on the drivers car door. T tops for me, car is more ridged with the a top structure. I like the all the cars you mentioned. The Firehawk is going to be harder to find and will cost more. They didn't make very many of them. Good luck
Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

As usual, with most 'used' cars, get the best F-body you can afford. Finding 'stock', non-abused cars would be high on my list and they are certainly getting much tougher to come by. One or two owner cars with low miles are equally important but now the pricing starts getting 'up there'. Expect to pay anywhere from $8,000 on the lower end right up into the $20,000 bracket for one of those one-owner sub 10,000 miles cars. Some nice deals can be had and cash talks!
As far as wanting a convertible that is totally a personal decision, BUT I really feel that if you go that route you will need to have a garage. Leaving convertibles outside will be detrimental no matter how much you try to keep it nice, from protectants to car covers. Mine is in very good condition after 12 years now but it has seen maybe 10 nights total outside during road trips. It always sleeps in the garage.
Once you decide what you want and narrow a few choices down, post up your choice in the 'What's It Worth' section in the Classifieds. I've been helping buyers out there for the past 5 years. Always happy to lend an opinion and especially to warn about 'overpaying'.
Best of luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Teching In

if you find a firehawk or ws6 that would be my pic..i looked at a few camaros, but fell in love with the seats from the ws6...so i picked one of those up...plus the ws6 and firehawk look mean as hell driving down the road..
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Default New guy, looking to buy my first Camaro or Firebird

Guys, thanks for all the advice so far. I think it will help as I continue my search for the right car. NC01TA, thanks for the offer to take a look at offers I find-- I will try to take you up on that when I narrow it down. Much appreciated. If anyone else has advice on what to look for or look out for it would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:23 PM

Any of you guys have an opinion on buying a B4C camaro? I found one today at a local used car lot. I've read some comments, positive and negative, about them-- either way, the responses I've seen seem to be very strongly opinionated on one side or the other. Same dealer also had two TA's and four Z-28's, biggest selection of 4th gen's I've seen anywhere around here (Augusta, GA). One of the TA's is a 2001 the dealer called a "silver bullet". Has a special "327" emblem or something like that if I remember correctly on the front quarter panels. Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? Here's a link to the dealers listing:
http://www.kerrmotorsga.com/view/212...-in-Augusta-GA
Old 07-17-2013, 04:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

PM sent.

Quick Reply: New guy, looking to buy my first Camaro or Firebird