Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Guy from Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy from Maryland

Hey guys. Name is Colin. I'm new to the forum because I just purchased a 2002 Camaro Z/28 and would like to get more information about mods that I plan on doing.

I bought the car from a dealer in VA about pretty much stock. It has an exhaust on it but I do not know the brand. Where the muffler should be is exhaust pipes that look like they have been purposely crushed in places. That is all I noticed in terms of mods.

I have had it about 2 months now and until this point I have only been able to afford two mods; a BitViper antenna and an MGW shifter, both which I highly recommend.

Thanks about it in terms of an introduction.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure about the crushed pipes, unless you talking about the over the axle bends. First mod I'd do if the pipes are indeed crushed is research painted or coated headers and true dual exhaust. I have pacesetter headers, 2 QTP electric cutouts, Y pipe, fake cat and 3 inch exhaust pipe to a flowmaster exhaust, wish I'd done true duals instead - just stuff I learn along the way.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to take a picture of the exhaust next time I'm home and start a thread on it. Crushed I guess is a bad word for it but I don't really know how else to describe it. It definitely looks like it is meant to be that way so I don't think it is ruined or anything.

I honestly was just thinking about doing an SLP cat back and wasn't even considering the true dual exhaust. I would really consider doing that now. Is there any advantage to going with the true dual setup vs the stock Y pipe?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Sounds like you have a GMMG muffler. It would have two pipes that have a bunch of crimps where the muffler would be.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pewter2000SS
Sounds like you have a GMMG muffler. It would have two pipes that have a bunch of crimps where the muffler would be.
Yeah that's exactly what it is! Is that something that would come factory? Or are they aftermarket?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Use the SEARCH feature as much as possible. There are many threads for first time mods and mods to avoid. If you have a "chambered" muffler or full aftermaket exhaust with that style muffler then leave it alone. The stock muffler looks nothing like what you described so you have something. True duals are unnecessary on a stock car and sound kind of crappy whithout the sound of a cam IMO. Plus, people have gone 10's in the quarter with a 3" single Y pipe style exhaust.

Check your plugs, replace if necessary. It's a bit of the pain, but you have to get used to doing your own maintenance. Give your car it's first oil/filter change.

Pop the hood and see if you have an aftermarket air lid covering your air filter. If not, buy one from here or Ebay. SLP, MTI, FTP, etc. Make sure it has a foam seal on it. Drop in a re-usable filter at this time. Save up for emissions legal long tubes (preferably stainless) and a catted Y pipe and install those. Not having a cat sucks. The exhaust fumes smell, and it won't pass inspection which could suck when you go to sell.

After that I'd drive the hell out of it and enjoy it. Maybe save for a trip to the dyno for some numbers and possibly a tune. Learn to drive it. Palm facing you for 1-2 shift, palm facing passenger for 3-4 shift. At this point you'll be looking at bigger mods. Good luck, enjoy your car!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advise guys. Really looking forward to being active on this forum. I'm loving the car so far so hopefully things continue to go smooth through the years.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Teching In

You have an aftermarket exhaust. I just bought a 2000 ss that came with LT's, ory, and borla muffler with a CME.
What's the first mod your doing?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pewter2000SS
You have an aftermarket exhaust. I just bought a 2000 ss that came with LT's, ory, and borla muffler with a CME.
What's the first mod your doing?
I have actually have had the car for two months so I have already done two. Nothing too crazy, just a BitViper Antenna and a MGW shifter. Really impressed with both so far and the car in general. Congrats on your purchase as well. Any plans for yours?
Old 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Hurst shifter on my 02 Camaro.. a shifter really makes a huge difference in the drivability..
If it isn't already get it lowered and some stiffer springs... G2 were my favorites it will be a new car
Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BitViper
I had a Hurst shifter on my 02 Camaro.. a shifter really makes a huge difference in the drivability..
If it isn't already get it lowered and some stiffer springs... G2 were my favorites it will be a new car
Thanks for the advise. Suspension is definitely one of the first things I will be doing. The car doesn't handle quite like I thought it should, even with 275s.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah.. tire size wont have too much if any affect on handling (except the obvious increase on grip.. because of more tire on the road)

Have fun.. be safe
Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 AM
gnx
On The Tree

GMMG muffler OR SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES,WHENEVER YOUR READY TO DO ANYTHING CALL FASTLANE IN HOUSTON THEY DO SOME GREAT WORK,AND MATCH PRICES.i KNOW FOR A FACT NICK HAS SOME USED PARTS SITTING AROUND HE WANTS TO GET RIDE OF IF YOUR NOT READY FOR A BIG BUILD YET. CHECK OUT THERE WEB SITE JUST CLICK THEIR NAME ON THE PAGE.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5426371&type=1

Quick Reply: New Guy from Maryland