Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Flames brought us together...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flames brought us together...

Greetings, ls1tech,

A friend (GTO owner) recommended that I join ls1tech as this forum seems to contain a litany of valuable information and learned users/members regarding the LSx based engines. As with any other forums, I’ll try to keep the did-you-search-the-forum-questions to a minimum. Truth be told, not only am I a FNG to ls1tech, but also to the LSx based engine in general.

My 1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R experienced an electrical-system based engine fire (FD’s best guess) completely destroying everything under the hood. The G54B, 2.6 liter SOHC throttle body injected turbo 4 which was originally equipped, has become increasingly more difficult to source replacement or go-fast parts as it ages. This has made the decision to change power plants all the easier. My performance goal is the ~550 whp mark on 93 octane. I’m very aware that this is a mild goal in comparison to the potential of the LSx series engines. I have narrowed my options down after some preliminary reading and discussions balanced with a practical budget:

Aluminum block 5.3 liter LS-based v8 (e.g. L33) – turbocharged with stock internals

Mitsubishi 4g63 RWD conversion – performance rebuild (not a straight forward swap, despite being the same brand) - Obviously, this won't be in discussion here.

I’ve located the “Conversions & Hybrids” sub-forum where I will probably lurk/post most frequently.

Thanks in advance for all the help/harassment,

Starion_Flambe’
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

I would like to see that 5.3 on some boost
Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Teching In

You wouldn't happen to be on starquestclub would you? I'm betting leaky injectors started your fire. I've seen several burn just for that reason. I helped pioneer and validate alot of the 4G63 RWD info. My suggestion is to go with the 4G if you want to stay brand pure and turbo. Do the LS and T56 if you want a fun daily with a wide powerband.

Kane
Old 01-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Teching In

You wouldn't happen to be on starquestclub would you? I'm betting leaky injectors started your fire. I've seen several burn just for that reason. I helped pioneer and validate alot of the 4G63 RWD info.
MaintreamM,
Indeed, I am a member of Startquest Club(BuickturboV6), as well as 26liter. You would not be the first to suggest such a cause, either. It's very likely too. Arlington FD suggested the electrical/fuel injector side as the start location. Either way, it's an extremely frustrating situation. The car has been sitting about a year at a friend's warehouse because I can't look at it without seeing red.... The powerplant, which will be a lot of work(and fun) regardless doesn't seem to bother me nearly as much as attempting to find replacement: headlight motors, wiper motors, wiring, etc...

I'd love to stay brand loyal by going the 4g63 route, but from the $ perspective, I'm in for a bit more $ to meet my power goals. I'm still very much torn.

I would like to see that 5.3 on some boost
My friend's GTO's is quite convincing. And, after reading the performance numbers put down with stock internals (by a suprise 4.8), balanced with the relatively affordable price-point and availabiltiy, it didn't take much more convincing to put this on the table.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Teching In

For science:
http://imgur.com/a/JQo8Z
Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with the 4G63 honestly. Ls motors are great in all, but everyone swaps them in everything. At a time it was unique and now it's just overdone in my opinion. I think it would be cooler with the Mitsu engine.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Starion_Flambe
From those pics, I'm saying the fuse link box started it. Seen enough of them with the links and boxes melted that it surprises me it doesn't happen more often.

Quick Reply: Flames brought us together...