Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Just bought a 99 camaro v6

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 99 camaro v6

Hello all new to the Camaro world . I just bought a 99 Camaro v6 3800 II,navy blue,T-tops with 200,000 miles for $500 price was too cheap to pass up as body and interior are 9 out of 10 .Car has a bunch of quirks as I'm beginning to find out. IE abs light mysterious overheating temp gauge but engine and coolant aren't hot and huge lack of power almost as if its stuck in mud. I'm no mechanic but highly mechanically inclined. And from what i can see this engine bay isn't exactly easy to work on as it is jammed so deep into the engine bay. Taking it to a friend to pull all the codes this week but I'm sure I will be asking questions that have been asked before and will apologize and say thank you in advance and I am prepared for the jokes that will ensue .
Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech. Most of us here have our experience with the LS series motors, but I'm sure you will find some guys to help you out with your 3.8. Sounds like it needs a good tune up to me. Flush coolant, trans & diff fluids, change oil, new plugs and filters, probably wires too. Get the codes checked and cleared and you should be on your way!

Just an FYI, there are lots of parts that are not interchangeable between the V6 and LS cars, so beware when ordering or buying parts!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete9980
Hello all new to the Camaro world . I just bought a 99 Camaro v6 3800 II,navy blue,T-tops with 200,000 miles for $500 price was too cheap to pass up as body and interior are 9 out of 10 .Car has a bunch of quirks as I'm beginning to find out. IE abs light mysterious overheating temp gauge but engine and coolant aren't hot and huge lack of power almost as if its stuck in mud. I'm no mechanic but highly mechanically inclined. And from what i can see this engine bay isn't exactly easy to work on as it is jammed so deep into the engine bay. Taking it to a friend to pull all the codes this week but I'm sure I will be asking questions that have been asked before and will apologize and say thank you in advance and I am prepared for the jokes that will ensue .
Hell for 500 bucks pull that motor and get you some LS power in there. I knew a guy that went all out on his 3800 camaro cam swap and everything else he could find for it.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 99 camaro v6