Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

noob, swapping :S into frame-off resto 1972 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob, swapping :S into frame-off resto 1972 Cutlass S

hey guys, im new to the LS motor family, as i have grown up a Ford and Cummins guy, was never really a Chebby guy in the least. but picked up a fairly clean 1972 Cutlass as my first major build/classic muscle car, and the project has been ever-evolving. i was initially going to rebuild the Olds 350/TH350, and stay closer to a restoration, but i gt a bug up my *** last week that she needed an LS. so i picked up a 5.3 out out a 2001 Tahoe with a 4l60e, harness and ECU for $1200. since, i have ordered a F-body pan, tray, pickup, dipstick, HD2 shift kit, head gaskets, and found a guy to do my harness and re-flash. we are going to tear the motor down and inspect, but am not going to tear into a performance build. considering a LS6 cam, if i can find a good enough deal on one and am shaving the truck intake currently. here are some pics, thanks if you've read this far! if anyone has a cheap cam laying around lemme know! im building this car to be a driver, and dont want excessive lope. the car is on rotisserie now, and i am working on the chassis, just pulled the motor and trans and sold them. complete new interior is sitting in the garage along with suspension components. it will ride on 15" TT2's and be Viking blue with white hood stripes as pictures, minus the paint-matched bumpers

[/URL]
Old 02-26-2015, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a cool build my friend.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Teching In

thanks! the coming weeks will be filled with completely tearing down the chassis, painting, then assembling with the new suspension and steering components, then mount the motor and trans. we are going to paint the block, valve covers and intake olds-gold in honor of the rocket 350 that the car was born with. i ordered a set of LT headers for a 98-02 LS car and will modify them as needed, as they are a much more budget friendly option than a dedicated set of LS swap headers. then lay the rest of the exhaust out while the body work is being finished up and gets fresh paint. this project was started mid December, so i think we are making pretty decent headway!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I really hope you make the headers work for your swap. I was on the fence when Texas Speed had an awesome sale on long tubes because no one could verify that they would work. I played it safe and put BBK short tubes for a '98-02 F-body on instead.
I will be following your build since after I paint my '70 Skylark, I plan to swap in a 5.3/4l60e as well
Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kainedogg
I really hope you make the headers work for your swap. I was on the fence when Texas Speed had an awesome sale on long tubes because no one could verify that they would work. I played it safe and put BBK short tubes for a '98-02 F-body on instead.
I will be following your build since after I paint my '70 Skylark, I plan to swap in a 5.3/4l60e as well
Thanks, we will see soon enough! I'll be posting pics as i go. It may be a little easier for me, as i will be doing all the work on the exhaust for the most part with the body off, and I am also working with a fresh header back dual kit that I can more easily mold without the body in the way. also spent a few hours shaving my truck intake today, now I need to plastic weld the holes shut, epoxy and then sand the entire top smooth.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Teching In

so the current plan with the motor is this: tear down and check the valves, pistons, bearings, etc, just got my f-body pan and goodies today, new head and intake gasket, already shaving my truck intake. what else would you do? i'd like to do a cam, but with the rest of the project draining the budget, that may need to wait til later, unless someone has a killer deal on something they want ot let go to a vet . i figure with a performance tune, shift kit, LT's and a free-flowing intake as well it will be a fun little motor....for now

Quick Reply: noob, swapping :S into frame-off resto 1972 Cutlass S