Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hi from the UK - LQ9 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi from the UK - LQ9 build

Hi guys and gals

Just joined up as I am planning on building an LQ9 to stick in my '80 Camaro. I'll start up a build thread if I can figure out where to put it on the board....

Here in the UK the LS/LQ engines are almost impossible to find, and typically very expensive. I'm trying to do this on a bit of a budget, and have access to a well equipped shop in order to pull it off...

I picked up some of a junk engine last weekend. They are very difficult to find in the UK. I can't remember the last time I saw an LQ4/9 for sale here.

This is a new block, with a minor crack in an oil passage at the rear due to being dropped, should braze up easy enough. I'm going to dye pen' test the rest of the block this weekend to check it out before I start ordering parts.

Everything I've got is brand new:
Block
LQ9 pistons
Stock truck sump
3x 317 heads with valves etc - 1 damaged that I can test some porting/gas flowing on.
Some sensors
Water pump
Rocker covers
Oil pick up
Various covers

I need a whole heap of parts to make it work, looking for a stock crank and rods for a start as I hear they are good enough. I'll be using Megasquirt as an ECU - already got it running my SBC - and I have Megashift controlling my 4L80.

Looking for advice on the cam choice. I don't mind slightly bad street manners as it's not a daily driver and will see a lot of track use.

I'm visiting the USA in August and want to be picking up some of the heavy/large parts while I am there as I have a container coming back later the same month and it makes sense to put them in there.

Ultimately would like to be making north of 600hp on this motor.

SJ

Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome and nice build

Quick Reply: Hi from the UK - LQ9 build