Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

1968 Tempest Project/LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Tempest Project/LS Swap

Hello Everyone!
Obviously I am new here, I am currently finishing up a project and in the planning stages of the next. I picked up a 1968 Pontiac Tempest, the car was a 78,000 mile car but had sat outside quite a bit. My father was overly interested in the 350 and trans that came out of it, I was not so interested in any of that, so I have the car and he has the old Engine/Trans.
So the picture has been painted, I plan on a little interior work, keep the car faded out etc, 4 wheel discs, full suspension and an LS powerplant (with air) and auto trans. My ultimate goal would be 475-575 HP with mild street manners that can be driven long distances.
I am very new to the LS engines and have done a lot of reading over the past few days, some of it just seems to run together. I have yet to pinpoint really which I need to be looking for. I am looking for a pullout that is as complete as possible, and maybe even including transmission.
So what would you guys suggest as far as what to look for? What mods to get into the range I am looking for?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

welcome to site. most people are going with they can find in their budget. I went with a L33 5.3/4L65E in my 76 skylark. Im about to finish dash up. mount pcm, fix shifter. Soon hope to know what it feels like under my size 12 shoe. It runs moves sounds bout as good as 355 chevy I had in there. This is stock with pcm street tune from LT1Swap.com. Sounds throaty/responsive. L33 is all aluminum 350 lbs with only steering pump & bracket on it when I weighed it. Factory 310 horsepower rated.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Default re

Thanks for the reply. I guess where I am at is back for the buck, would I be better finding a pullout 5.3 and doing a small turbo or finding a larger pullout and doing heads cam?

Quick Reply: 1968 Tempest Project/LS Swap