Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Greetings from the United Kingdom

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Greetings from the United Kingdom

Hello from across the Atlantic.

Seeing as i will shortly be undertaking an engine swap involving an LQ4/4L80e and i will certinaly have questions at some point. I thought it best to say Hi.

Cars have always been a hobby of mine, im no stranger to the welder and grinder having done various engine swaps and mods over the years, but i have never had a V8. Currently daily an MX5(Miata) Turbo, had various 80s euro hot hatches and eccentricities in the past.

I was toying with the idea of taking something like a Toyota Hilux/Mazda B2300 (i believe these are mini trucks in the US) and putting a V8 in that. but i was really struggling to find one that is not rotten.

Then i found this for sale in the UK. a 93' C1500 work truck (Long bed, 2WD)

a very rare sight in the UK. According to the RPOs it should have had a V6 in it. but when i got hold of it there was a 2.5 straight 4 non-turbo diesel out of a ford transit fitted. with a Tyre shredding 70hp when it ran correctly.
Which this one did not.

The install was incredibly bad and such a hack job. for example the mechanical diesel pump on the engine was trying to pull diesel from the fuel tank through the original fuel pump, which was no longer wired in! so the engine would no rev and had no power.

As the LSx engines are a little hard to comeby on this side of the pond i was installing a 4.0 1UZ-FE V8 from a Lexus, this was a bit problematic as the engine was so wide (Quad cam heads) I was struggleing to get it to clear the steering intermediate shaft.

but then i came across the LQ4. an LS that i could afford and the engine i really wanted for the truck.
So there is currently an engine/gearbox on a boat making its way to me.
Plan is to get it in and running, then decide what do do. Maybe a DIY turbo? those are always fun

That's my story so far.

Last edited by WooDooUK; 07-15-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Greetings from the United Kingdom