Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to the LS Tech an have a question or two

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the LS Tech an have a question or two

I have done a few searches but really haven't found what I'm looking for.
I have a 2008 2500 HD with a 6L VVT but NO active fuel management. Cast iron block. LY6 engine.
Ever since it was new I would do oil analysis and it always came back with trace amounts of coolant. I did this for 3 years with no change. I went to the dealer with this info and they would do nothing about it because I guess in their eyes there was no failure or they couldn’t see anything. It was Very small trace amounts.
I just did an oil change the other day and there was a few drops of coolant at the start of the oil coming out of the drain plug. Just moved it really slow to see what came out first. Orange Dex Cool. Only 62K miles on the truck. Bought truck with 4 miles on it. No milkshake looking engine oil.
I’m thinking OK time for a head gasket job. Cant think of any other place to get coolant in oil and NO oil in coolant. Coolant maybe 1 ½ to 2 inch low in 8 years.

Asked another guy what he thought an he came up with the GM tablets to seal the cooling system. I don't have any experience with using this product and thought I would see what other people thought. Is this a good way to go? I'm not selling it anytime soon and want it to last. This might be a fix or a band-aid. Don't want to add anything that could cause issues down the road. I guess this would be a pre-question.

1. Would you resurface the heads an have pressure checked or just clean them up and put back together? Haven’t seen any info for cracked heads on the 6L.
2. What head gaskets are best? Stock engine haven't thought of doing any mods guess depends on $$ an whats the benefits.
3. Would you replace the lifters since the heads are off? I have seen one go bad and have heard of some problems with them just not sure.
4. Would you update the rockers so you don’t lose the needle bearings? If so what brand?
5. Is there anything else you would do or look at? Since everything on top is apart.

So far this is the only problem I’ve had with it. Last time I changed oil was in late 2014 but only had almost 3k miles on it. Use Mobile 1 Yes I know should change every year or twice a year. Depending on who you ask. Don't drive it a lot but when I do I'd go for being reliable. Since I normally drive it in the winter and don't want to be stranded some where.

I would just like to work on it once. Don’t want to have problems later with lifters or rockers or head gasket sealing later.

If I'm asking in the wrong forum Please point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little about me.
From Montana an still here. Like to work on all my own stuff as much as I can. Cant do any of the machine work but pretty much everything else.
I have 3 Chevy's
99 Camaro M6 great car have had it for 15 years has over 150K miles but no one would guess over 70K
2008 Chevy 2500 which you can see from above post I'm having an issue with.
2014 Chevy SS Great car so far.

Quick Reply: New to the LS Tech an have a question or two