Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy, New build

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy, New build

Hi everyone and thanks for the great info. I'm new here and relatively new to building vehicles. I've done a few minor builds (lift here, lower there, New engine/transmission, cut here, shave, etc and so forth but I was in a fatal crash with my last build (1991 Sonoma) and in an instant my 6+ year project was totalled. I survived and have almost fully recovered. Now I'm doing a full build, from the ground up. I'm also working with a friend on another full build. I'm building a 1978 C10 and he is building a 1974. We bought them as a pair for cheap. His had rust, mine needs paperwork sorted out. We're kind of building similar trucks, his is just the "unlimited budget" version of mine.

My 1978 C10 build consists of-

6.0 LS that will likely be built as a 370 or 374 (I'm not going to push for a big stroke because I don't want piston rock and I'd like to be able to rebuild the engine if necessary) currently owned

Comp XER281HR cam, currently owned

Weiand Air Ram intake, currently owned

Paxton Novi 2000 with billet impeller, currently owned

Dual 320LPH fuel pumps, currently owned

C7 Z51 Brakes adapted to 1" rotor version drop spindles with cut S10 rotors as hubs, currently owned

Racing seats, currently owned but probably changing them

I'm going to be cutting the front crossmember to fit a mustang steering rack and pinion, currently owned

I'm planning on a 10 point cage set into the cab as much as possible (I'm 6'4" and far from skinny... I need to keep as much room as possible)

What else?... 2012 camaro SS wheels, currently owned

Stainless steel headers, currently owned but planning on swapping from shorties to long tubes ASAP

Dana60 rear end currently owned, which will be getting a Strange Engineering S Trac as well as 35 or 40 spline axles.

I'm going to "pancake cut" the front crossmember to drop the truck a little bit and add some caster to the front geometry while I'm at it.

Then everything gets a good coat of SEM Rust Shield and all the new suspension which currently includes Belltech Street Performance shocks all around, Michigan Metal Works flat upper arms, New ball joints, Prothane bushings, and not much else yet. I will probably upgrade the suspension later to adjustable upper arms and double or triple adjustable coilovers

My friends truck is getting an ERL 427 LS and Twin 78MM Precision turbos. and he already has a full Porterbuilt Stage 2 dropmember kit with RideTech triple adjustable coilovers, C7 Z06 wheels, 14" DBA 5000 rotors with 6 piston nickel plated Wilwood calipers front and rear set up on Belltech drop spindles with the Kore3 billet hubs. Strange Engineering Ford 9 with S-Trac. I'm glad he's got the money for that stuff because I sure don't and now I get to play with the expensive parts too. The rack and pinion PB uses for their dropmember kit is the same as what I'm adding to my stock frame.

Anyways, now that the introduction to me, my build, and my side project are out of the way that's about all I can say for now. Thanks again everyone. I'm not rolling in cash so expect my build to be pretty slow in progress

Quick Reply: New guy, New build